Tarck Arts and Carfts. Post your home-built bikey stuff.

I’ve gotten two compliments on my wolverine from random cute women on the street so it must not be too bad a build.

[quote=kmcdon]Am I seriously the only person in existence without a jackass build on my grando?

Like what the fuck man?[/quote]

Nah my grando is best grando.

pics

Random attractive women compliment my Elephant regularly. I never know how to respond.

I mean, I never know what to say to women, anyway. But especially not about my nerdwagon.

there are no random attractive women here

Lots of truck guys like my Pugsley.

I worked at a summer camp when I was 21 and 22. Spent 3 months a summer in the middle of fucking nowhere Pennsylvania (I loved it and that farm is my 2nd home). One day I was ‘going to town’ (think Wet Hot American Summer) with one of the female counselors. We were walking around State College and she jokingly called me out for checking out every single girl that walked by like I’d been stuck in the woods for too long, which I absolutely had been. Yes and no. It was a college town and everyone rides a bike. I was looking at every single bike that walked past, they just so happened to be walked or ridden by women. I honestly didn’t even realize till the girl I was with called me out thinking I was being a pig. No, not a pig, just a sad little bike nerd.

Every since then, fucking 10 years now, I try to be discreet when eye fucking a bike if it’s being walked/ridden by a woman. And dogs. God damn I giggle to myself like 10 times a day looking at adorable dogs and I know people on the street just think I’m just being a creeper about the owner but honestly the owner could be Death himself and I wouldn’t notice. I’d just notice the cute little wiggle that pug/chihuahua/beagle mix makes because his hips are all fucked up oh god that poor little dude I love that little doggy.

My dog barks at bikes because he can sense that I’m looking at them intensely and he doesn’t know why.

Yo straws, I was at a summer camp near lake wallenpawpack around the same time.

I also check out all the bikes. My wife knows I do this. I think at first she thought I was checking out the ladies but a few times she’d ask what kind of bike and I’d give her a detailed description leading to a chuckle on her part

haha me too. I got in trouble for checking out girls, but when my wife realized that I could describe the bike but not the rider, and that I looked at guys on bikes just as intently she started pointing out interesting bikes I hadn’t spotted.

Of course now I realize that 90% of bikes out there are hot garbage and I don’t look anymore, unless they have a dynamo light.

[quote=eric_ssucks]
Of course now I realize that 90% of bikes out there are hot garbage and I don’t look anymore, unless they have a dynamo light.[/quote]

same same same. Especially now that I live in a college town (the same state college straws was checking out bikes in). If they’ve got a dynamo, I probably know them.

Every bike on my campus sucks except for the ones parked at my department. Three Wolverines. Like, no other bike of note at all, but we have THREE wolverines. When I had a Double Cross it was a Soma orgy. So I stand outside a lot checkin’ out the bike rack.

Oh ok, there’s this one dude who rides a 3-speed from ~1920, like, way older than WWII-era stuff. That bike is cool.

Also have a smaller one that was my first concept. But I could barely fit a bagel in it on my way to work so I made this bigger one.

That looks really nice Brian.

I dig it.

Random attractive women compliment my Elephant regularly. I never know how to respond.

I mean, I never know what to say to women, anyway. But especially not about my nerdwagon.[/quote]

“My internet friends told me to buy it.”

First venture in “leather working” I made a cardboard template, decided not to get too crazy with the shape. Used some xacto blades to slice and carve the leather to the final shape. Used a langlitz leather conditioner on the outside and olive oil on the inside. $5 piece of leather from Red Clouds Collective. Need to grab some leather washers for them nuts tho

i’d ride behind dat

I made an ugly padded camera bag for my upcoming Seattle to Montana trip!
Features: padded, velcro flap, belt loop, fits my new RX100 perfectly, reflective cloth on the outside of the flap
This was my second (third?) ever sewing project. My first project was a tent pole bag and I made some simple shoulder straps for my Swift bag a few years ago.

It’s structurally solid but I totally fucked up the edge binding because I don’t think I had the right equipment, thread and experience.
Pretty sure I was using heavy nylon thread which was very hard to remove when I would inevitably fuck up. The upside seems to be very ugly but solid seams.
I’m embarrassed to say that this took me over 8 hours of work from design to completion but I’d say half of that time was spent un-jamming then re-threading the sewing machine & removing seams. The thing that drove me crazy was the foot pedal on my partner’s sewing machine, there wasn’t enough modulation so it was either going way too fast or not moving at all.

Anyone have a good resource suggestions (blog, youtube, book) that specifically caters to outdoor gear so I can learn more?

set: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUXiOV2jPyz/

I saw that you live near Seattle Fabrics now on instagram, So nice! I have to order anything I want for the most part. What fabric is the body on that bag?

The binding and such is always the hardest part for any sewing project I do, but I am not that experienced. The backpackinglight MYOG forums and reddit’s MYOG subreddit have been helpful. Also for whatever I’m making I will just google “framebag MYOG” or “framebag DIY” and check out blogs. bedrockandparadox is a really good blog for MYOG gear (mostly packs but it all carries over) and just outdoors in general.