Tarck Arts and Carfts. Post your home-built bikey stuff.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Adding the MYOG acronym to my vernacular now.
The fabric is a bunch of leftover cordura I bought directly from Swift Industries so that my tent pole bag would match my Swift bags.
It might have been easier to sew if I had used a thinner material like X-pac but I figured I should use the material I already have on hand.

The MYOG subreddit has some good information.

Also, this video is specifically for a frame bag, but has some useful nuggets of information, plus he went on to start Bedrock Bags, so that’s cool.

Nice one Andrew!

That and the ultralight one are some of the few good spots on that site.

[quote=hiljentaa]Nice one Andrew!

That and the ultralight one are some of the few good spots on that site.[/quote]

Most of the hyperspecific hobby subreddits seem to be relatively untained by the broader Reddit culture. They’re full of random people who googled a question, landed on r/partsofvintagecameras, and stuck around for a while. They’re also full of people who are 10+ years older than the average redditor, which seems to help. If I ever get really into sewing or cultivating obscure ferns or playing the pan pipes*, you’d better believe I’ll be posting up a storm over there.

*or fuck it, all three at once.

The ultralight subreddit is fantastic (Andrew Surka is active on there as well which is cool)

Since my Luxos snapped off at the mount, I made this little 3D printed hanger to suspend it from a GoPro mount on my K Edge.

I’ve got some improvements to make (first version is waayyyy too tight, tall, and ugly) but I’ll post it up when it’s better. The cross beam hits the top of the lamp just a bit, I’d like to curve that in the next version. Also gross clear PLA will be swapped.

I’ve got a buddy who’s always 3d printing doodads for lights and cameras. He uses some kind of nylon-based material that seems up for it.

That’s rad!

that’s brilliant!

you could probably make the crossbeam curved on the other axis too, to triangulate the boltholes to the bulk of the gopro mount

That’s a goddamn million dollar idea.

Maybe a million cent idea. How many non-warrantied Luxos are there out there, really?

I want a 3d printer. I don’t even know what I would use it for but I want one.

realtalk unless you just like the idea of messin’ around with one, there’s no point in buying a hobbyist machine
make a model with a free CAD package, send it out to Shapeways or any of the multiple other web printing services, and it’ll turn out better than anything you could print at home

[quote=Lowrey’sOrgan]realtalk unless you just like the idea of messin’ around with one, there’s no point in buying a hobbyist machine
make a model with a free CAD package, send it out to Shapeways or any of the multiple other web printing services, and it’ll turn out better than anything you could print at home[/quote]
How much does this cost?

Maybe a million cent idea. How many non-warrantied Luxos are there out there, really?[/quote]

No Doug, a literal million dollars!!!

I can see this being an effective way of mounting a non-broken luxos (or any other light) to the underside of a front rack.

very cool idea!

Awesome Idea!

[quote=shane.rrr][quote=Lowrey’sOrgan]realtalk unless you just like the idea of messin’ around with one, there’s no point in buying a hobbyist machine
make a model with a free CAD package, send it out to Shapeways or any of the multiple other web printing services, and it’ll turn out better than anything you could print at home[/quote]
How much does this cost?[/quote]

I would second this notion. We have two different kinds of 3D printers at work but I only have direct access to the cheaper, refrigerator-sized ABS printers in the engineering department and they have fairly low resolution (minimum 0.010" thickness). Making small parts in this printer don’t look quite as nice as those I could probably print on the half-million dollar machines we have down on the production floor.
I don’t follow 3D printer news but I’d wager the small at-home machines haven’t yet made enough progress to allow you to make the purchase worth it.

You can see how much a random Shapeways printed part will cost by going to any of those free 3D model websites like https://www.thingiverse.com/ and download the *.STL file then upload to Shapeways which will instantly give you a quote in dozens of materials.
The most recent model I uploaded was something like $4 per piece but it was really simple and tiny. Not sure how it scales for size & changes between primary material and support material.

This is our prototype machine at work, the fancy ones are about 3x bigger:

TC: Now that I no longer have access to one, I’m strongly looking into something like a Prusa for home use.

I like to tinker. I like the freedom to iterate and experiment and not have to pay shape ways for each version of something I want to try not to wait for them to make and ship it.

PS that light hanger is rad.