Tarckettes...

toast I would totally start a mixte dude crew with you

Yep

No, that’s a mixte. Mixtes have three sets of stays, with one set that lines up with the DT.

EDIT: Sheldon says that’s a mixte “variant”, whatever that means. I’d definitely consider that a mixte though.

My wife’s mixte:

I had a mixte, it was too small for me. It also wasn’t made out of Tange Infinity either.

Blicks, you just flipped my universe inside out.[/quote]

Haha, my career is ironic.

there was a pink mixte in a secondhand store that made me really wish my lady lived here. I would have built it up real classy.

i have never encountered a mixte that isn’t really heavy, i don’t really get why you’d want one other than for the convenience of having a step-through frame if you’re carrying a lot on rear panniers

http://letsgorideabike.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/kiss-my-mixte-ass/ <---- why I hate so many girls who ride bikes

“The secret of riding a bicycle as an adult is to pedal just hard enough to keep the machine upright, then to increase speed very gradually, but without becoming too breathless to hold a conversation or hum a tune.” - via my ever-hated http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/2009/02/new-york-dane-cycle-chic-nyc.html

[quote=Joan of Tarck]http://letsgorideabike.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/kiss-my-mixte-ass/ <---- why I hate so many girls who ride bikes
[/quote]
anita you’re the shit.

No, that’s a mixte. Mixtes have three sets of stays, with one set that lines up with the DT.

EDIT: Sheldon says that’s a mixte “variant”, whatever that means. I’d definitely consider that a mixte though.

My wife’s mixte:

[/quote]
Meh, wiki calls it a step through and defines mixtes as I do (I didn’t write the wiki, I swear)

[quote=dumpsterlife]
[/quote]
Steerer tube fail.

Dude, that’s because no bike company made a mixte out of nice steel. They were always bottom of the barrel road bikes or townies.

The Soma mixte looks like a fine bike, but I’ve read elsewhere that the frame geometry makes it more suitable for men than women, unfortunately.

[quote=Joan of Tarck]http://letsgorideabike.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/kiss-my-mixte-ass/ <---- why I hate so many girls who ride bikes

“The secret of riding a bicycle as an adult is to pedal just hard enough to keep the machine upright, then to increase speed very gradually, but without becoming too breathless to hold a conversation or hum a tune.” - via my ever-hated http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/2009/02/new-york-dane-cycle-chic-nyc.html[/quote]

I’m one of the women from this blog and was amused to find myself so hated by this particular person. For the record, I’m out there 365 days a year, sweating my ass off in the summer and freezing my ass off in the winter, long after most of the other cyclists have gone home. Sometimes I ride hard and fast, sometimes I ride slow and leisurely. Sometimes I wear jeans and sneakers, sometimes I wear skirts and sandals. I love all the women out there on bikes and appreciate our differences, whether they are hipsters or roadies or mothers toting kids. What I don’t like are women who try to impress the cool crowd by putting other women down. Ah well, such is life. Those visiting my site are encouraged to stay and look around, if they’re interested in bike commuting in Nashville or Chicago.

Don’t mind anita dot, she’s got a stick up her ass, or maybe it’s her non micro adjustable cheap seatpost that’s causing her woes, or perhaps her designer jeans that rub her the wrong way while riding. BTW I’d still suggest looking for a used mixte unless the quality of steel is really important. A long haul trucker (what I have), a trek 520, a kona sutra or perhaps a raleigh sojourn might have what you’re looking for as far as practicality and an upright riding position goes. Maybe get some moustache bars for them or set one up like this trucker I saw while stealth camping in the marin headlands. The latter three frames have compact geometry, so they are a little bit more stepthrough than the trucker.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up ordering the Rivendell Betty Foy and it will be delivered tomorrow - I can’t wait to take it touring.

fuck yes. Musa stepthrough lugged steel frame. You may decide that you’ll want a little more of an aero position or more hand positions, it’s something i definitely appreciated while touring. Where are you planning on going? where are you from?

edit: guess it’s mtaiwan? weird.

Originally from North Carolina, living in Chicago now. I want to tour the Smokey Mountains back home soon, probably in the fall, and Sonoma. Hoping to ride from Vienna to Prague with my husband next year (we were planning to last summer, but put it off to save money). Where have you toured in the past?

just humboldt county to SF thanksgiving break, but my friend and I are planning on a ride from the south of sweden to the northern region, it should probably take 8 days, but we might spread out to two weeks to relax in some cities.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lund,+Sweden&daddr=östersund&hl=en&geocode=&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=59.623325,12.392578&sspn=18.3988,79.101563&ie=UTF8&z=5
I’ve been wanting to bike by the danube for a while now, Mander, Bexley, and I might find a good 2 week trip sometime too.

[quote=Dot]The Soma mixte looks like a fine bike, but I’ve read elsewhere that the frame geometry makes it more suitable for men than women, unfortunately.

“The secret of riding a bicycle as an adult is to pedal just hard enough to keep the machine upright, then to increase speed very gradually, but without becoming too breathless to hold a conversation or hum a tune.” - via my ever-hated http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/2009/02/new-york-dane-cycle-chic-nyc.html[/quote]

I’m one of the women from this blog and was amused to find myself so hated by this particular person. For the record, I’m out there 365 days a year, sweating my ass off in the summer and freezing my ass off in the winter, long after most of the other cyclists have gone home. Sometimes I ride hard and fast, sometimes I ride slow and leisurely. Sometimes I wear jeans and sneakers, sometimes I wear skirts and sandals. I love all the women out there on bikes and appreciate our differences, whether they are hipsters or roadies or mothers toting kids. What I don’t like are women who try to impress the cool crowd by putting other women down. Ah well, such is life. Those visiting my site are encouraged to stay and look around, if they’re interested in bike commuting in Nashville or Chicago.[/quote]

I don’t see what Anita/Joan has a problem with. What was wrong with your post??

Crossposting my post from the bikeforums thread “female fixed gear riders” :

[QUOTE=blickblocks]One of my long term goals is to encourage more women to ride bikes as a serious method of transportation (not limited to fixed). The bicycle industry treats women in a sort of infantile manner with their baby blue and pale pink bikes, creating excessive things like Shimano “Coasting” because they assume that women can’t figure out a derailer. Maybe the problem is ******bag bike shop dudes who have a bad attitude towards women? Just a thought.

I’m in an bike gang here in Cleveland called “Tour de Fun”, led by an awesome female fixed rider.[/QUOTE]

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=523121

Internet forums I think exacerbate the problem of women being invisible in cycling, because people tend to be more jackass on the internet than in real life. This is why blogs are good: the author creates a space and sets the tone of conversation. I wanted to do the feminist bike blog but Anita has been busy or something.

“I was at the shop to test ride the Surly Long Haul Trucker. Very attractive bike, but I decided for sure that I don’t want a diamond frame, drop bar bike. I felt so scrunched up and bent over, it was ridiculous. I guess I could adjust to it, if I rode it exclusively for a month, but I don’t want to adjust to it. It’s not my style.”

why would you not want to adjust to something that could potentially really improve your riding experience? i started riding road bikes because more upright bikes weren’t working for me over long distances.

(also totally hate you for being able to afford a rivendell, mad jealous)

i won’t debate that that frameset #1 confers major baller status on its rider and #2 can be built up into a really solid commuter that suits your needs

but there are a lot of reasons that people want “diamond frame, drop bar bikes”, there are reasons that people build those that way, and reasons that you ride “scrunched up and bent over”, and to read a girl just dismissing that out of hand because it’s “not her style” makes me want to hurl

bikes are for riding, yo! expand your comfort zone, get yourself an old road bike, and mess around with it if you want to keep your dream bike looking like that beautiful one on the rivendell site (and i don’t blame you, that bike is classy as all get out). i really doubt that you won’t like riding in drops or whatever once you’ve got a setup that works for you, there are a lot of advantages and depending on the type of riding you are doing, they can be really awesome.

i mean, it’s the same reason i used to get annoyed at my boyfriend’s build - he had really narrow flat bars and the bike was basically COMPLETELY impractical and would be really uncomfortable for any kind of distance riding, it doesn’t really have anything to do with being female (mixte chicks who like wearing heels are just a particular flavor of impractical bikes for the sake of appearance that I get annoyed with). when i see that kind of bike, and read that kind of stuff, it just says to me that the person riding probably doesn’t care too much about being comfortable on their bike, which means they probably don’t ride it far enough for comfort to be an issue, which means that style is the most important thing, and that’s not much better than being a hipster

in fact sometimes it’s worse because the people that fetishize that copenhagen site (barfff) seem to be the kind described in this article: http://www.observer.com/2007/spokes-models?page=0

i haven’t read the rest of your blog, it looks very nice, and you seem really cool, i hope you stick around and post pictures of your awesome bike when you build it. did you find this site through the wordpress incoming links features?

but yeah i just don’t like mixtes because so many of them are heavy (so i just tend to assume that anyone riding them is pretty into the way they look, which i think is a terrible reason to buy a bike although i also dream of a pink powdercoat for my future crosscheck).

also blicks not busy i just don’t have any layout skills and i thought you were going to figure out what the best name would be and make an awesome alice and wonderland with champion stripes?

OOH also first google result for champion stripes:
those would be so cute for you or gerund. what size are your feet? do you have trouble finding lady shoes?