that shit won't fly...

I’ve noticed that they are much more lax than they were a few years ago. I had a park cone wrench that I’d forgotten was in my bag. The guy just checked that none of the edges had been sharpened (by slicing it across his hand). Since it wasn’t, he let it go.

These thing are TOTALLY at the whim of the individual. If they say no I doubt there is any way to get it through.

I’ve noticed that they are much more lax than they were a few years ago. I had a park cone wrench that I’d forgotten was in my bag. The guy just checked that none of the edges had been sharpened (by slicing it across his hand). Since it wasn’t, he let it go.

These thing are TOTALLY at the whim of the individual. If they say no I doubt there is any way to get it through.

[quote=GRHebard]thanks, ive been told that they arent as concerned about size as they are about weight.
any advice on how to sweet talk em if they say something?
would it be a bad idea to say “what? ive used this suitcase all the time with [insert thier airline company here], what do you mean its too big?”[/quote]

It’s worth a try if things look rocky. The worst that can happen is, you have to fork out the fee. I’m told that it helps to say that the box is filled with “bike parts” as there is a special fee for bikes but not for bike parts. I haven’t tried this out (and have succeeded anyway) but it’s a clever idea.

i was thinkin of saying its a wheelchair for my grandpa…
if someone who doesnt know bikes that well sees two wheels and some tubing, they might fall for it, right?

PS
the oversized fee is $150
that times three flights is not gunna happen

sweet talking doesn’t involve lying and acting like it’s a normal matter of course.
sweet talking involves giving the person that makes their living checking baggage respect for what they do, being genuine and engaging with them, and letting them lead the way to letting the package go on for free. this has to be complemented by a charm that you may or may not possess.

I want lot_22 to handle all negotiations of any kind on my behalf from now on.

Well, I just ended up checking it. I had to pay 15 bucks (that’s right, you can’t even check one bag for free on US Airways), but I ended up needing more space than my carry on anyway.

[quote=lot_22]sweet talking doesn’t involve lying and acting like it’s a normal matter of course.
sweet talking involves giving the person that makes their living checking baggage respect for what they do, being genuine and engaging with them, and letting them lead the way to letting the package go on for free. this has to be complemented by a charm that you may or may not possess.[/quote]
this is right on. my girlfriend managed to get two bags, both of which were at least 10kg over, to europe and back w/o any fees after she was originally told it would be ~1200 bucks. these people have loopholes and the right combination of compliments, being a cutey, honesty and biting lower lip w/ teary eyes will open them up.

i reckon you’ll be able to pull it off greg

i think they might have realised that you have realised that aeroplanetary security guards are in fact ROBOTS and you were planning on wrenching open a breastplate, re-wiring an unsuspecting patriotic ROBOT, and getting it to electric boogaloo up & down the aisles on its hands whilst serving margaritas.

usually i just ask if there is any loophole up front. “is there any way i can get this on any cheaper?” they will know in a second if you try to bullshit them with some wheelchair nonsense.

another fun trick when traveling internationally: if there isn’t anyone in the 1st class line, just wander over there and check in. only ONCE have they ever asked or cared if i was actually first class.

I’ve had friends say their bikes were ‘art supplies’ and got them on for free.

lot_22 is right I think. All my free bike flights have been got just by being nice… no conning or whining.

Tell them the bicycle is a display for a trade show. People on the local fixed forum seem to have had pretty good luck with using that to get around the oversize fee

[quote=mander][quote=GRHebard]thanks, ive been told that they arent as concerned about size as they are about weight.
any advice on how to sweet talk em if they say something?
would it be a bad idea to say “what? ive used this suitcase all the time with [insert thier airline company here], what do you mean its too big?”[/quote]

It’s worth a try if things look rocky. The worst that can happen is, you have to fork out the fee. I’m told that it helps to say that the box is filled with “bike parts” as there is a special fee for bikes but not for bike parts. I haven’t tried this out (and have succeeded anyway) but it’s a clever idea.[/quote]

I’m really curious about this strategy, because it’s technically true. When you have your bike disassembled to fit into a bike box, at what point does it become a box with bike parts in it and stop being a disassembled bike? I mean, can you throw a couple extra parts in there to accomplish this? If all you have to do is throw a bunch of extra (and small to keep the weight down) parts in with your bike to get it on for free, that would rock.

keep in mind you’re still bullshitting the person at the desk. you don’t need to be an asshole, just ask if there is anyway they can help and be genuinely nice about it, they usually will.