The blowing off the rest of work and going mountainbiking...

…appretiation thread.

It was a really good idea and we had a great time and bombed around on some new trails we’ve never found before.
Soooooooo satasfying.

Nitro and I went out yesterday. I seriously think it was the most fun I have ever had in my life on a bicycle. I might have to start frequenting MTB forums now.

Please tell me there are trails around chicago that are accessible without a car.

A convert! Ben we need to go again, maybe find some other trail network before you move.

I’m getting my Monocog on Saturday.

My Steamroller has been set up for the cross race on sunday. I signed up for a one day license. Let’s see if I can not embarrass myself.

If you ride like you claim to, then you shouldn’t have a problem hanging in the C/5 group. Most guys racing at that level don’t ride with anything approaching the frequency that riders here do

I’ve seen a few “fixed gear” dudes stomp weekend warrior types in crits/track racing, presumably because they spend so much more time on a bike than these guys (due to not having jobs, I’d guess). Of course, the winner is always some crazy bike nerd who logs 2000 miles a month, and we all bow in respect to him.

It’s the mount/dismount/running portion that worries me. Whatever though, I’ll be done racing by a little after 9 AM. All the cute hipster spectators will still be in bed.

[quote=“ben”]Nitro and I went out yesterday. I seriously think it was the most fun I have ever had in my life on a bicycle. I might have to start frequenting MTB forums now.

Please tell me there are trails around chicago that are accessible without a car.[/quote]
Yeah dude!
The awesome trails in Palos that we rode today are accessable by Metra electric train!
There’s also a few trails up at Foster and Polaski that you can just ride to, but those are kinda crappy and there’s alot of broken glass and shit and I think gangbangers party there at night. BUT, and it’s a big but, there are a few huge jumps built up there that I’m too much of a poosie to hit.

[quote=“bonechilling”]If you ride like you claim to, then you shouldn’t have a problem hanging in the C/5 group. Most guys racing at that level don’t ride with anything approaching the frequency that riders here do

I’ve seen a few “fixed gear” dudes stomp weekend warrior types in crits/track racing, presumably because they spend so much more time on a bike than these guys (due to not having jobs, I’d guess). Of course, the winner is always some crazy bike nerd who logs 2000 miles a month, and we all bow in respect to him.[/quote]
I love watching guys toss back a couple beers on the infield before a track race and kill the guys who were warming up on with their 600 dollar fluid trainer on their 2500 dollar bike.

but yeah, there is always that guy that has spent so much time training he’s probably given up parts of his career for it. Mucho respect for that guy.