The Rivendell Rage Reader: A thread for the pure joy of hating on Grant P

He was trying to spare me walking home the morning after in my Halloween costume and I kept the Dickies and Keens and tall cotton socks.

3 Likes

glad you got something valuable from him.

2 Likes
1 Like

a couple lines popped to highlight what welby is getting it I think

We do our thing and are no better than you just because it’s not your thing. No worse, either.

Grant is making fun of roadies the way that roadies have been making fun of “regular people riding bikes”. He’s mirroring their dipshit behavior to illustrate how whack it is.

Your mileage may vary. I get that.

he’s not offering something better than yours. he’s offering something else than yours. take it or leave it.

2 Likes

Is this still a thing, though? Admittedly I don’t hang out with roadies (or other people in general) but I haven’t seen this attitude expressed in many, many years.

3 Likes

welcome back :smirk:

it’s not a thing

but it’s still a thing

remember, to an old fart yesterday was 1991

LOL nope.

How about “if you need an ebike to keep up you should quit”

“If you can’t ride XX Miles you’re too unhealthy”

Pubes is doing a better job (as usual) with his of course.

I really don’t get why you’re defending this boomer jackass and his obvious trolling. I don’t think anyone here is offended by (or surprised by) anything Grant says. I think the sentiment is more of shock at how transparent and hypocritical his nonsense is and yet people still line up to defend it.

I’m not mad. I think it’s hilarious

7 Likes

He’s specifically not about keeping up

He’s also specifically about short rides are just as good as long rides

1 Like

I want all the bikes. I want all the bike ideas. I want to read about all the bikes. I want everyone to ride bikes all the time. If someone is wrong about bikes I am better for having engaged with their wrong idea and come to my own conclusion.

That said I don’t need a frame that weighs 2 surlys and costs 4 surlys but I do like knowing where to look when I want a choice of upright handlebars.

3 Likes

No kidding. It’s the same approach though. It’s gatekeeper nonsense.

It’s exactly the same move as racer bro shop rats vibing normies out of a shop. It’s the painting of deliberately exclusionary/hostile white dude nonsense as inclusive that’s so absurd.

2 Likes

It’s only the same if you ignore everything he’s been talking about for last 30 years, including writing a book, that’s anti-gatekeeping.

He clumsily tries to combine two of his bullet points into a one sentence “kinda makes you think” social media bullet point and suddenly all context is rendered null and void?

2 Likes

It’s all fine and dandy if you’re Grant-adjacent have have decades of context, but in the age of context collapse, it’s fucking weird to see a bike personality/company post “you should ride your bike less” on their instagram.

9 Likes

All I see is a old guy who used to mail out a newsletter not understand that his audience is much much flatter and wide-reaching.

But people who are Grant-adjacent enough to know his clothing preferences trying to paint him as a gatekeeper really feels like rightwing pundits trying to cherry-pick MLK’s “I have a dream” speech to argue that MLK would have been against race-based scholarships or something.

8 Likes

I dunno, my limited interactions with grant did not lead me to read that with gatekeeper vibes. I took it more as a continuation of his don’t take bikes seriously schtick.

5 Likes

but spend $2k on a frame.

7 Likes

If cooking has taught me anything, sometimes it takes a lotta money to get a good vibe going

(but I will not be buying a Rivendell for the record)

And sell a $10 derailleur to put on it

Lol I think gp responded to me on instagram

6 Likes

I’m not ignoring it. But just taking prior things he said at face value and saying his current statements are irrelevant just doesn’t make sense to me. People change. Especially as they get old and technology and culture continues to change around them. Sachs gets this. I really don’t think Grant does. And it’s not like there haven’t been more weird statements from him prior to this.

This.

Some white dudes become cooler with age. Some end up like Morrisey.

His blog response really does cement it though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd-9ZeJOEvZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

He truly can’t just talk about what he likes with out shit-talking alternative. That’s my beef. His entire marketing shtick isn’t “do what you want” it’s anchored to being anti-something. I agree with a great deal of his core ideas. It’s good stuff. But he can’t present his ideas without being smug. Literally starts off his rebuttal with the most absurd humble-brag.

6 Likes

Hahaha Tarck is foundationally pro anti

7 Likes