The Strava Effect

At your service!

you’re bullshit!

Your all out of order!

Okay, yes the family is stupid. However, does Strava actually host races and give out prizes or titles (don’t live in SF)? I don’t think the law exempts event promoters from doing due diligence to ensure that the race route is safe and if not, they should at least be smart enough to have people sign waivers. Boxing got a smack down back in the day after one to many fighters died in the ring, the NFL is dealing with litigation for lack of safety in their playing equipment. Don’t get me wrong, cycle at your own risk imo. Still, if I use a computer service to put people up to a challenge and it results in death, am I truly innocent? If Strava truly holds events and claims people as record holders, I can easily see them owing some responsibility to the situation. We do live in a litigation happy world, so covering your ass from a legal standpoint isn’t a bad idea. Again though, I may totally misunderstand Strava.

You are misunderstaning it big time.

Getting KOM on strava is like getting mayor in Foursquare or an achievement on your xbox.

Maybe it’s just me, but isn’t competing for KOM on an all-downhill segment exceedingly pathetic? It’s like a competition to see who can be the biggest, dumbest risk taker.

The coastie version of MASH/alleycat races.

[quote=MoonCat]You are misunderstaning it big time.

Getting KOM on strava is like getting mayor in Foursquare or an achievement on your xbox.[/quote]

Okay, got it. In that case, yes they are stupid and the lawsuit is total BS.

this dude gets it

Getting KOM on strava is like getting mayor in Foursquare or an achievement on your xbox.[/quote]

this dude does not

sorry coleman, but you have no idea how absurdly serious some people take this.
like guys coming into the shop trying to brag about a KOM they just got

to me it’s everything thats wrong with cycling. instead of pinning on a number and competing in a time honored and regulated manner, you have a bunch of greasy freds all gunning for the best time on a “segment”—on roads open to traffic. it’s a wonder more people haven’t died.
no need for a promoter to put up cash for a venue or insurance, you can “compete” from your laptop!

strava is bullshit

conversation with one local promoter indicates that womens turnout at local road races dropped 25% since strava went up.
i have no idea what that means, of if i even care.

Dude all I log are trips to the coffee shop

[quote=teach me how to douggie]

this dude does not

to me it’s everything thats wrong with cycling. instead of pinning on a number and competing in a time honored and regulated manner, you have a bunch of greasy freds all gunning for the best time on a “segment”—on roads open to traffic. it’s a wonder more people haven’t died.
no need for a promoter to put up cash for a venue or insurance, you can “compete” from your laptop!

strava is bullshit[/quote]
How am I wrong? Its the same thing. An arbitrary virtual badge. People brag about their gamerscores. Just because you see people taking it serious it doesn’t make it more than it is. People will take anything they want too serious. Doesn’t make strava accountable.

TC: The real value for strava for me is using it to find rides. There are plenty of people who use it for logging and finding that don’t utilize the KOM feature stuff.

Disclaimer of Warranties and Liability

http://www.strava.com/terms

I think the family might have the best chance working the angle that the leader board for this particular descent contains speeds/times that exceed the local posted speed limit which presumably exists to protect the safety of all users of the road.

I think a street racing site for car drivers that compared their times obtained via GPS could certainly be given the legal smackdown over a death x law breaking speed collab. The primary difference here is the vehicle.

Strava’s terms say “YOU ALSO EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT STRAVA DOES NOT ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE INSPECTION, SUPERVISION, PREPARATION, OR CONDUCT OF ANY RACE, CONTEST, GROUP RIDE OR EVENT THAT UTILIZES STRAVA’S SITE.” That’s all fine and good, but to the extent that having speeds posted that are well in excess of the local speed limit is a tacit encouragement for people to violate the law they might have a problem simply pleading ignorance, particularly if the route is well traveled enough to have had some proven visibility within the organization.

What can they do about it though? Cut the leader board off at 29mph and tell everyone faster than that “Hey, you made it.”? Even if you nix the leader board for one segment the time gains from bombing the hill could still count towards the overall time on a larger one where an average speed might be well within the realm of normal for a driver.

Curious to see how it all plays out. I suspect they’ll settle.

Ya I don’t think that angle will fly. You guys can post all day long all the illegal things you’ve done on tarck and its not like can heath get sued and lose.

[quote=MoonCat][quote=teach me how to douggie]

this dude does not

strava is bullshit[/quote]
How am I wrong? Its the same thing. An arbitrary virtual badge. People brag about their gamerscores. Just because you see people getting too into it doesn’t make it more than it is.[/quote]

tell me the last time a videogame—by the combination of urge of competitive nature and lack of actual skill—put someone in the hospital? or got them killed? it’s very far from being similar atmo.

Nothing more pathetic than seeing who can ride a bike the fastest, right?

As far as the safety issue goes, fuck that shit. You decided you were gonna race the clock on an open road in traffic, you manage your own risk. Nobody can decide for you what you are ready to ride, and if you can’t be realistic about your own abilities, that’s your problem. If strava inspires you to make bad decisions, that’s not their fault.

I guess the truth may lie somewhere in the middle here. If people take the title seriously it could easily result in more of these incidents. While this lawsuit may fail, as new technology emerges and is embraced by the public at large it will need to go through growing pains. I would imagine that includes what are and are not, responsible uses of the technology. It does seem irresponsible in this case. If the prosecution can convince the jury that people push themselves and the limits of common sense/ road safety in order to obtain these meaningless titles, they may win regardless of common sense. It would probably be easier to convince the average jury member than to convince a forum full of no bullshit cyclists. I mean, if Garmin was lauding the fastest driver on your local highway stretch then it certainly wouldn’t be well received. I guess it boils down to a. this guy should have used more common sense but b. people do win lawsuits by acting in an unintelligent way.

Have you not seen any newspaper like ever?

The list would be too long. People fucking died planking!

Nothing more pathetic than seeing who can ride a bike the fastest, right?

As far as the safety issue goes, fuck that shit. You decided you were gonna race the clock on an open road in traffic, you manage your own risk. Nobody can decide for you what you are ready to ride, and if you can’t be realistic about your own abilities, that’s your problem. If strava inspires you to make bad decisions, that’s not their fault.[/quote]

While I primarily agree, if they are not trying to inspire people to break traffic rules, why give out any title at all for such things? Is that the only purpose of their product?

heh just got an email from Strava. Updated terms and conditions.

Not sure if this was in there before: