The Strava Effect

Discuss. This could probably go in Jordan’s Jackass of the Day Thread, but whatever. Wild.

Already posted in “other shit” but yeah.

Seriously?

page not found

I need to “accidentally” hit a tree or something when my ridewithgps-generated route and cue sheet directs me onto a nonexistent road, then $$$profit$$$

If I were the judge in that case, I’d tell that family to get fucked.

Velonews is covering it:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/family-sues-strava-over-descending-death_224889

LOL

Stay right there. Imma go put some cones out.

Make choices… get displeased(in this case dead, sadly) with the outcome of those choices… sue the person who enabled you to make the original choice? Adults these days need to learn something about personal responsibility. VeloNews had an article on it as well, apparently the guy who killed a pedestrian in SF was using Strava as well… Also that dude is being charged with felony manslaughter.

Riding a bike “fast” isnt normal, but on strava it is. Not even one.

Dude was breaking a posted speed limit. I’m sure Strava has a pretty ironclad case.

I totally understand how this shit happens though. The one local “climb” I have a legitimate placing on (10th at last check) has a stop sign right at the top. Visibility of the cross street at the top really sucks. I can see how not easing up (swinging wide to the left, turning right, and hoping for the best )could buy me a little extra speed, but why risk it?

I don’t really think most people who use it treat the world as a closed TT course. Going for a “KOM” on a sketch descent with traffic is pretty jackass.

bro you dont get it
the world is a closed course time trial.

I track some runs on strava. If I sprain my ankle, can I blame them?

I am the “mayor” of the pizza shop down the street. Can I sue Foursquare when I get obese and have a heart attack?

Families of dead people gonna hate. It’s part of the grieving process, and sadly part of the hyper litigious society we live in as well

i do not think the plantiff understands how strava works.

where is the iphone “cones” button? i want cones

i’ll back the plaintiff. strava is bullshit.

This is has to be up there as one of the stupidest lawsuits ever. What the fuck?! If I were the judge, I’d let the trial begin, and then immediately call the family a bunch of idiots.

http://captaintbag.tumblr.com/post/23783173764/review-strava

[quote]here’s captain fuggin thinkin

strava is gunna turn captains Macintoshphone

into the ultimate cycling pocket buddy

what with the little orange icon with the bike on it

n when captain goes fer a ride it’s tellin captain

use fuggin king of the mountain this

king of the mountain that

then the snow melted

n fuggin now

it’s not fuggin two days

when captain don’t got strava emailin harrasin captain

hey slow fugger this

hey fattie that

what’s wrong the vaginitis flairin?

sumone besides yer fuggin self is now KOM

n so on n fuggin such

well captains got this to say fuggin back

fugg you to

n go fugg yerself[/quote]

Not to quibble with you in two places at once, but whether or not Strava is bullshit has no bearing on whether the plaintiff has a legit cause of action.

well thank you very much miss frumpydumpy esquire