The truth about Bikes Direct

The truth is: our bikes come from the same factories that supply the LBS bikes and consumers get them in the same condition as dealers get a Trek, Fuji, Specialized, etc in [even same box with different printing on it]

Factories use some grease on most threads. However, some dealers during setup re-grease bikes [any brand]

Most of customers setup their bikes themselves; some do a worse job than the average shop; some do a better job than the average shop. Some of our customers pay an LBS to setup a BD bike for them. A fair rate for that is $30 to $60 depending on the area of the country. {I pay about $60 for a trained certfied professional to use expensive equipment to clean my teeth}

I’m gonna side with Mike on the parts spec situation. I think that a lot of you guys don’t realize how much money it costs to run a small brick and mortar business. When you eliminate that overhead along with distribution costs, you can cut your prices wayyy down and still make plenty of dollars.

That being said, I’m sticking with buying locally. I’ve talked to Mike before about buying a bike and almost pulled the trigger because he’s a nice guy and responds to questions quickly. I eventually came to the realization that I’m willing to pay some extra money for the ability to shake hands and meet employees face to face. It’s also nice to be able to throw the bike in the back of the Jeep and drive it to the shop if I have any problems that I don’t feel like dealing with myself. This is the type of stuff that I feel like I should get with a big purchase.

Thanks for the heads up
It is nice to be able to clear up some incorrect ‘ideas’

Shimano does not make different quality levels of the same level of component

IE - Ultegra is Ultegra

I have even seen people post that they thought Shimano or Sram or Kinesis or whoever sold seconds. This of course is not the case for lots of reasons: some concerning reputation and many concerning product liability

It has been a while since I have seen threads with posts like this: most people now understand that costs in distribution channel way exceed the actual cost of producing the cycling product; thus the variation in final consumer pricing.

[quote=bikesdirect][quote=johnnypecans]There is definitely a difference between stuff meant for the chinese market and stuff meant to be exported, without a doubt. Seems like probably BD uses domestic market stuff, to me.

I mean for like a hundred bux bulk you can get a flying pigeon with a ‘shimano’ 3spd hub[/quote]

This is incorrect; our bikes are made in exact same factories that build bikes for Trek, Specialized, Fuji, etc
and to the same standard[/quote]

do not see the connection between these quotes.

[quote=bikesdirect]
Most of customers setup their bikes themselves; some do a worse job than the average shop; some do a better job than the average shop. Some of our customers pay an LBS to setup a BD bike for them. A fair rate for that is $30 to $60 depending on the area of the country. {I pay about $60 for a trained certfied professional to use expensive equipment to clean my teeth}[/quote]

more like most do a worse job than an lbs, others do alright. i really doubt your average customer has all of the proper tools and know how to fully build a bike - including wheel truing, etc. also - bullshit on teeth cleaning for $60.

i keep hoping this thread turns into some juicy gossip thread
i am disappoint

[quote=bikesdirect][quote=dmotoguy][quote=Jim]

What typically IS junk are headsets, straddles, seat posts, clamps, stems, etc. [/quote]

This should be bold/underlined. The bolts are the worst possible steel/al, they strip if you look at them funny. all of these parts should be replaced if possible… or just be careful w/ assembly and run it till it fails.[/quote]

This is one of the more silly statements I have read on forums in the last 5 years.
I have been spec’ing bikes for 25 years; and do not even know how anyone would request lower grade bolts.

Bikes we sell use Shimano, Sram, Ritchey, Mavic, WTB, Vuelta, Kalloy, Tektro etc components.
They are made in factories that make bikes for almost all other brands.
Quality and QC is exactly what you see on most bikes in shops.

Distribution cost is the major reason bikes and other things can be purchased online for less money.
Most people understand this.
[/quote]

You would think this same principle would apply to a Trek or Specialized. If it’s all the shops’ overhead, they’d (major brand) make the same in wholesale selling it to whomever.

[quote=bikesdirect][quote=johnnypecans]There is definitely a difference between stuff meant for the chinese market and stuff meant to be exported, without a doubt. Seems like probably BD uses domestic market stuff, to me.

I mean for like a hundred bux bulk you can get a flying pigeon with a ‘shimano’ 3spd hub[/quote]

This is incorrect; our bikes are made in exact same factories that build bikes for Trek, Specialized, Fuji, etc
and to the same standard[/quote]

I have ridden Chinese market Giants with chintzy, crappy Shimano components on them in Beijing. They were clearly lower quality than Shimano parts we have Stateside.

I get my teeth cleaned for $70. Without dental insurance.

Also, I once bought a bike from a local shop with a good reputation. Everything was cool except they never lubed the BB, the indolent bastards.

My point is, always strip and lube a new bike. Anyone more than casual about cycling should own a set of tools complete enough to do so. Such a set of tools can easily be as cheap as a professional tooth cleaning.

[quote=johnnypecans]
I have ridden Chinese market Giants with chintzy, crappy Shimano components on them in Beijing. They were clearly lower quality than Shimano parts we have Stateside.[/quote]

Which could be explained by counterfeiting, but considering China is famous for its authenticity standards, that is highly unlikely. I am lying, of course.

[quote=bikesdirect][quote=dmotoguy][quote=Jim]

What typically IS junk are headsets, straddles, seat posts, clamps, stems, etc. [/quote]

This should be bold/underlined. The bolts are the worst possible steel/al, they strip if you look at them funny. all of these parts should be replaced if possible… or just be careful w/ assembly and run it till it fails.[/quote]

This is one of the more silly statements I have read on forums in the last 5 years.
I have been spec’ing bikes for 25 years; and do not even know how anyone would request lower grade bolts.

Bikes we sell use Shimano, Sram, Ritchey, Mavic, WTB, Vuelta, Kalloy, Tektro etc components.

Distribution cost is the major reason bikes and other things can be purchased online for less money.
Most people understand this.[/quote]

Sorry Mike, I’ve built several of your bikes in the shop, straight out of the box. Corners are cut, no matter how you explain it. Lots of stuff that should be “identical” to a Trek or whatever just isn’t.

[quote=Jim][quote=bikesdirect][quote=dmotoguy][quote=Jim]

Sorry Mike, I’ve built several of your bikes in the shop, straight out of the box. Corners are cut, no matter how you explain it. Lots of stuff that should be “identical” to a Trek or whatever just isn’t.[/quote]
Identical to a Trek in Beijing :bear:

[quote=Jim][quote=bikesdirect][quote=dmotoguy][quote=Jim]

Sorry Mike, I’ve built several of your bikes in the shop, straight out of the box. Corners are cut, no matter how you explain it. Lots of stuff that should be “identical” to a Trek or whatever just isn’t.[/quote]

well, I just do not beleive that. But I have the advanage of knowing the factories; seeing the specs, and seeing bikes made at the factories: with all those brands right next to each other. In fact, on upper end bikes it would be easy to say other brands cut corners as they use lots of house brand stuff where we use Ritchey, Mavic, etc.

There is no QC difference in bikes we sell from main stream bikes sold in shops.

BTW, love your city and Kirby Lane is really the best place ever to great gingerbread pancakes – ummmm

[quote=username][quote=johnnypecans]
I have ridden Chinese market Giants with chintzy, crappy Shimano components on them in Beijing. They were clearly lower quality than Shimano parts we have Stateside.[/quote]

Which could be explained by counterfeiting, but considering China is famous for its authenticity standards, that is highly unlikely. I am lying, of course.[/quote]

Counterfeiting happens on things that are easy to do and that have insane market [tommy bahama, louis v,]

Bike parts that models, dies, cnc equipment and the distribution channel only adds about 200% to the cost
Fashoin stuff and DVD [easy to copy] the distribution adds 800%, 1000%, or more. I mean a $120 tommy bahama shirt costs about $8 to make: a $120 bike costs about $30 to make and requires all times of machinery – and there is a smaller market on bike components

I think counterfeiters want to make easy money; nothing in the bike industry is really that easy

huh?

They are not bad at all.[/quote]

The frames aren’t TOO bad in all reality. Not the finest materials, but not junk. What typically IS junk are headsets, straddles, seat posts, clamps, stems, etc. They sell you on a recognizable name in components (105 with Ultegra FD!!!), but skimp on the smaller things.[/quote]

I’m not picking sides in the argument because I have nothing to gain from either winning, but I do think that it’d be interesting to get a complete and total parts list from, say, a Fantom Cross and it’s Fuji counterpart just to compare. It’d take awhile to put something like that together, but it’d put an end to this argument that’s been hashed and rehashed over and over again.

That being said, I’m sure it’d be hard to compare since a lot of the BD stuff runs parts that are a generation or so old.

what does this mean
?

huh?

The frames aren’t TOO bad in all reality. Not the finest materials, but not junk. What typically IS junk are headsets, straddles, seat posts, clamps, stems, etc. They sell you on a recognizable name in components (105 with Ultegra FD!!!), but skimp on the smaller things.[/quote]

I’m not picking sides in the argument because I have nothing to gain from either winning, but I do think that it’d be interesting to get a complete and total parts list from, say, a Fantom Cross and it’s Fuji counterpart just to compare. It’d take awhile to put something like that together, but it’d put an end to this argument that’s been hashed and rehashed over and over again.

That being said, I’m sure it’d be hard to compare since a lot of the BD stuff runs parts that are a generation or so old.[/quote]

This would be interesting. There would need to be pictures as well, of course, but I think it would be a fun project.

huh?

That being said, I’m sure it’d be hard to compare since a lot of the BD stuff runs parts that are a generation or so old.[/quote]

I have that so it takes no time to put together
and even for those that do not have it; it is easy

if you see a model x tektro brake, ritchey stem, mavic wheel, shimano shifter - it is the same for all brands using it

this idea that you can spec different quality of bolts or diff level of factory qc or that shimano makes grade a & b in a given part is just wrong

what does this mean
?[/quote]

it means that in many industries markup is very high [like clothing]

in bikes it is only about 3 times the price of FOB to deliver in normal shop channel

thus a bike that costs about $500 to make sels for right at $1500 in a shop
[compare to say a tommy bahama shirt that cost $10 to make or so and costs $100 or $120 in a shop]

this is a small multiple and still so cyclists think that the cost of there bike is mostly the bike; when it is really mostly the distrinbution

kinda like frames; many think it is the most expensive thing on their bike; when in most cases it is number 3, or 4, or lower

people understand their $3 box of corn flakes is about 15 cents corn; but somehow on bikes it seems this part of the industry structure is hard to understand

FUCK YOU GUYS I LOVE MY BIKESDIRECT BIKES

mike, keep up the good work and low prices :bear:

huh?

I have that so it takes no time to put together
and even for those that do not have it; it is easy

if you see a model x tektro brake, ritchey stem, mavic wheel, shimano shifter - it is the same for all brands using it

this idea that you can spec different quality of bolts or diff level of factory qc or that shimano makes grade a & b in a given part is just wrong[/quote]

Huh? This doesn’t make any sense, and it’s not relevant to anything you quoted.