The "What's it Worth" Thread Redux

I’ll PM you my address, I’ll dispose of it for you.

Same. At one time it existed in these configurations and one made me feel like I was about to crash and die at any moment while the other was really not great.
Imgur
Imgur

Also, thanks for the feedback. I didn’t really want to keep any of the parts on this bike so decided to mostly leave it be. I’m trying to get down to zero random bike components that aren’t on bikes by 2020 with the exception of brake pads, chains, headsets and other wear components. I don’t currently have the storage space to enable my hoarders tendencies (thanks dad). Plus my bikes are trending away from the dead-ender genre.

2 Likes

In a situation like that I usually sell the whole bike cheap rather than go through of the hassle of selling individual parts. How much more will you really make off the frame and parts than the bike in total and is it worth it to you?
Or do you just want to clear out parts you don’t want?
Wish I could buy it.

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve heard of headsets being referred to as wear components. Maybe I’ve been lucky my whole life but I’ve only ever replaced headsets due to vanity, upgrading to cartridge bearings, or it was some old rusted junk in a used frame I found in a dumpster.

2 Likes

Welcome to the wonderful world of needle bearing headsets. Luckily they’re cheaper than chains and last a little longer.

Thinking of selling my Marin Pine Mountain 1. It never quite fit me right. It retailed for $1200 new, I made some upgrades (including tubeless) and put maybe 150 miles on it. Is $700 a fair price?

1 Like

I think so.

I’d ask for $919.
That’s what I sold by spesh fatboy for.
I should have kept the dropper. I would have been able to sell it for the same price.

3 Likes

Trying to sell this for 600???

1 Like

Damn nobody on craigslist wants to buy this thing. Really how much is this worth? I just dont want to spend the money to make it a thing I will ride and then still not ride it

Try FB marketplace? You might not get 600 but that sounds like a good price to list it for

I think consensus is that FB marketplace is the best place to sell. A few groups out there, probably some bay area stuff. MTB Swap Meet, etc.

What do you think it needs for you to want to ride it?

New rear wheel, 1x10 or 11, new bars stem and seat post. Probably a smaller ring. Maybe a fork but that’s more $$ and maybe a new front wheel. So basically everything
And it can’t be too janky or kludged together.

Why a new wheel? And I’m guessing a suspension fork? Turning it into a real mountain bike? Yea sell it and get a new bike.

I think this might be a situation where the bike is worth less than the sum of its parts.

1 Like

I’m at a similar crossroads with one of my frames. Currently built up as single-speed, but am maybe $50-60 and 1-2 hours from being a bombass 1x10 commuter/tourer. Deciding whether to cut costs and part it out (saves $$), sell it complete (saves time), or sell it as-is (saves time and money). I have a friend who’s interested but honestly he’s probably gonna sit on this for a while, and it doesn’t make sense to build up as a spare bike since the parts stash has been growing with better parts.

People want to buy used bikes because new bikes are $$$, but all the people trolling for used bikes/parts are technically-competent cheapskates like us (flipping bikes with “I’m a mechanic, trust me”). Best way is probably a private sale with others who can vouch for it.
Hot take: a systemic culling of boom-era bikes could work too (those with suicide lever, quill-mount shifter, obscure threading).
Either way, the people who lose are the ones who want to get into cycling but don’t want to spend new-bike prices, but keep coming upon very bad used bikes.