The "What's it Worth" Thread Redux

Having a hard time coming up with a price I could get for this updated 1985 Trek 720.
Think I could get $700-$1,000 range?
Full photo album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_squirrel/albums/72157709850489227

About the Frame:

• 1985 Trek 720 complete (Trek’s flagship touring frame for the year)
  • Investment cast lugs with embossed TREK logos.
  • Burgundy paint with sparkle flecks (original paint/decals so lots of beausage)
  • Reynolds 531C double butted main tubes, fork legs and stays.
  • Plenty of braze-ons for front/rear racks, fenders & 3x water bottle cages
  • 56cm / 22.5" size, great for cyclists around 5’9"+ tall
  • Cantilever brake posts originally positioned for the mostly obsolete 27" wheel size but bike has been updated with modern 700c wheels. Included cantilever brake calipers specifically chosen with vertical adjust-ability to compensate for the difference in new wheel diameter and narrow post spacing.

Standout Build Features:

• Tires setup TUBELESS with sealant on a lightweight modern wheelset
  • Integrated dynamo lighting system with bright front and rear LED lamps and low drag generator hub.
  • Custom lightning bolt mudflap attached to full fenders to keep road spray off your shoes and drivetrain for those wet days.
  • Wide range subcompact double 46/30 tooth crankset to easily tackle Seattle’s hills.
  • Best rear Tubus rack that money can buy paired with waterproof Ortlieb racktop bag that has quick-release mounting system.
  • Wide platform pedals with lots of grippy pins.
  • Anti-theft wheel skewers that only open when bike if flipped over.
  • Fully detailed cleaning and lubing!

Component List:

• Nitto Noodle Handlebar 44cm
  • Nitto Dynamic 1" Threaded Quill Stem 90mm
  • Fizik thin handlebar tape (black)
  • Cane Creek SCR-5c Compact Aero Brake Levers with integrated quick-release button.
  • Shimano Ultegra 8-speed Bar-End Shifters (note 9-speed cassette, shifters are switched to friction mode)
  • Chris King 1" black threaded headset upgraded with front brake hanger nut.
  • Shimano XT BR-M732 Cantilever Brakes
  • Brand new Kool Stop Salmon Brake Pad Inserts in Kool Stop Cyclocross Cantilever holder for ease of pad cartridge replacement.
  • Red Jagwire brake (brand new) and shifter (new-ish) housing.
  • Surly Stainless Rear Brake Hanger
  • Velo Orange Grand Cru Long Setback Seatpost (old style upgraded with MKII hardware and clamp).
  • Fabric Scoop Radius Elite Bike Saddle Black/Red (brand new)
  • Velo Orange Durable Stainless Steel Full Coverage Fenders (45mm width)
  • Velo Orange New Rando MKII 50.4 Crankset 170mm 46/30t
  • Shimano UN55 Cartridge Bottom Bracket JIS Taper
  • VP Vice Red Aluminum Platform Pedals
  • Shimano FD-CX70 Front Derailleur
  • Shimano RD-M590 Deore Rear Derailleur SGS M591 Long Cage 9-Speed
  • SRAM Cassette 9-Speed 11-34 tooth
  • Shimano CN-HG93 XT/Ultegra 9-Speed Chain
  • Zefal Lock n’ Roll Locking Anti-Theft Skewer Set
  • Shutter Precision SV-8 6Volt / 2.4Watt Dynamo Front Hub 32hole
  • DT Swiss DT-350 Rear Hub 130mm 32hole
  • WTB ChrisCross i19s Tubeless Compatible Rims 32hole
  • Schwalbe S-One Tubeless Tire 700c x 30mm TL-Easy V-Guard (measure 31.5mm on rim)
  • Orange Seal Endurance Tubeless Sealant
  • Stan’s Tubeless Rim Tape
  • Industry Nine Torch Tubeless Valve Stems (anodized green color)
  • Tubus Cosmo Stainless Steel Rear Rack with integrated (and protected!) euro rear light mount.
  • Ortlieb Trunk Bag RC with quick-release mounting system, matching burgundy & red.
  • Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ PREMIUM Cyo Dynamo Front Headlight (Premium has new updated beam pattern which is brighter than the original Cyo)
  • Busch & Müller Toplight Line Brake Plus Rear Taillight (Integrated braking feature that activates when you slow down!)
  • Tall Front Lamp Bracket that prevents wheel shadow and attaches to fender & crown.
  • 2x Black Water Bottle Cages (frame has mounting holes ready for a 3rd cage)

Frame geometry from original catalog:
Frame Size = 22.5" (~ 57.15 cm)
Seat Tube = 561 mm
Top Tube Length = 560 mm
Seat Tube Angle = 73 deg
Head Tube Angle = 72.5 deg
Chain Stay Length = 470 mm
Fork Offset = 52 mm
Drop = 72 mm
Wheelbase = 1062 mm
Trail = 55 mm (with 31.5 mm tires)

2 Likes

My buddy needs a bike, just like this.

If you want to sell it to some random stranger, I bet you’re gonna have a hell of a time getting more than $600. Spend a little time with that wall of text asking around and you might push it for more.

1 Like

price it at ⅔ of a riv and send it out to the grant/heine mailing list

3 Likes

this is a perfect example of the sort of thing to remove before sale

waaaayy more likely to smother them in an inopportune moment with complications than be a special feature they’re stoked on

all downside, no upside, and you would buy another set in the future

Before I read this I was thinking “I’d buy that for $500-$600”

I’m sure you could get more but you gotta find the audience

1 Like

Unless you really need the money, I’d strip the parts for another build down the road and sell the frame. More likely to find some other bike nerd who wants to build it up in an equally unique way than find the bike nerd who overlaps your choices completely. Include photos of the bike complete and offer to sell frameset + extras for more $$$, maybe even have tiers, frameset, + wheels, + wheels and drivetrain, complete?

1 Like

I sold a far-less-well appointed LHT for $600 in Seattle a few years ago. Start at $700 and be prepared to wait until someone comes along. I would only list the interesting parts, and be sure to wax bullshitty about the steel trek frame to entice the boomers

1 Like

Right, but a great bike sells for $600, and a clean stock LHT sells for$600.

You’re not going to sell that to anyone. Strip it and part.

Seriously you wouldn’t buy it? Is that a first?

I actually think that is a fantastic bike. If it were repainted I see no reason why that would be a $1k bike.

6 Likes

I always wanted one of those

To the right person it’s worth it. To your average Craigslist/Facebook moron/buyer it looks like an old bike with weird parts on it. To us it’s great, to them it’s “bicycle blue book says that bike is worth $200, why are you charging $900?”

Do you seriously think I would own, let alone ride, a “clean and stock” long haul trucker?

That thing was bought as a frame and equipped with random non matching shit from my junk pile and, in typical Doug fashion, was dirty the day I sold it. Not only that, I had 130mm hubs on it, and mashed the 135mm rear dropouts to fit. I rode it in that fashion for years so it’s probably fine.

Squirrels bike can definitely get $600. If he can’t in Seattle, post in Portland and portage it down on the train.

1 Like

Haha. Well, I was being charitable.

Those are some ginormous chainstays!

I had an identical frame for a while. I never had it as dialed as @Andrew_Squirrel, but it was a really great riding bike. To the point that I’m almost tempted to buy this one.
When I put a front rack and small bag on it, it became unrideable.

Yeah, not being a dick, literally saying what was already said without going into any details about it.

I got one too!

1991 (?) paramount road, panasonic built, lugged w/ unicrown fork.

Has ultrashift 10s veloce, 5600 or 5700 brakes, original veloce cranks, wheels, seatpost,

oh and it’s kinda big-- 59.5 tt, 61? st

1 Like