Thoughts on this Miyata tourer?

Here’s the listing.

Seems like the seller wants a bit more than it’s worth. There would also be the added expense of converting it to drop bars, but since it has downtube shifters that would not be too tough or costly. It also has Biopace rings. Hmm.

What would you consider a fair price for this?

[quote=“tarckeemoon”]Here’s the listing.

Seems like the seller wants a bit more than it’s worth. There would also be the added expense of converting it to drop bars, but since it has downtube shifters that would not be too tough or costly. It also has Biopace rings. Hmm.

What would you consider a fair price for this?[/quote]
I was just researching it. The text used in the CL is almost identical to the text from an older cyclingforums.com post (http://www.cyclingforums.com/archive/index.php/t-260298.html) about the 1000LT. Weird. The CF guy wanted $750 for his, including racks and bags. There’s also a mentally-ill person here on the LA CL who tries to sell one for $1000 every few weeks. They seem to be kind of sought-after, so his price probably isn’t thatout of line. If I were you, though, I’d hold out until I found a mid-eighties Trek 620 or 720 (with the 470mm chainstays.)

Who the hell would put risers on a touring bike?

Have you seen what some of the touring crazies use? Heinz Stucke has two flat bars, for Christ’s sake.

[quote=“tarckeemoon”]
What would you consider a fair price for this?[/quote]

I don’t know actual touring bikes aren’t incredibly common and the question should be what is it worth to you not what is a fair price.
How much do you want to spend on a touring bike?
Will it be perfect for you once you replace the bars(and get some comfy levers)?
Are you going to want a nicer rack in the back and one in the front?
Bar end shifters or brifters?
Do you want to keep all the old components or are you going to want newer smoother working stuff?
Are you going to be happy with freewheels?
Does biopace drive you nuts?
Does having an old frame really appeal to you?
Do old miyatas have a special place in your heart?

If I wanted an older touring bike I would probably offer $375-400 but be willing to pay full price. It’s a nice bike, I have most of the parts lying around to turn it into an ideal one and I like nice old miyatas. If I just a bike to tour that’s going to be hassle free, fun to ride, and a decent deal I would probably bet an lht or something. Any old frame is something of a crapshoot and 1988 brakes and drivetrain just aren’t as nice as 2000+ stuff(maybe you put used parts on) even if you still go with barends or dt shifters.

Buy it. It’s a 1000. You’re not going to find anything similar that’s nicer. (cheaper’s definitely out there though)

[quote=“dutret”]
I don’t know actual touring bikes aren’t incredibly common and the question should be what is it worth to you not what is a fair price.
How much do you want to spend on a touring bike?
Will it be perfect for you once you replace the bars(and get some comfy levers)?
Are you going to want a nicer rack in the back and one in the front?
Bar end shifters or brifters?
Do you want to keep all the old components or are you going to want newer smoother working stuff?
Are you going to be happy with freewheels?
Does biopace drive you nuts?
Does having an old frame really appeal to you?
Do old miyatas have a special place in your heart
If I wanted an older touring bike I would probably offer $375-400 but be willing to pay full price. It’s a nice bike, I have most of the parts lying around to turn it into an ideal one and I like nice old miyatas. If I just a bike to tour that’s going to be hassle free, fun to ride, and a decent deal I would probably bet an lht or something. Any old frame is something of a crapshoot and 1988 brakes and drivetrain just aren’t as nice as 2000+ stuff(maybe you put used parts on) even if you still go with barends or dt shifters.[/quote]

The vintage appeal is not a huge factor for me, but if I could get something decent for roughly half the price of a LHT it seems like it could be worth it. I can’t see doing trips of more than a few days anytime in the near future. If I were planning a cross country trip I would go new.

The bottom line though is that I need to sell some shit before I can even seriously consider this.

Aside: Anyone else ever notice that craigslist’s tiny pictures and compression makes it seem like every bike ever posted is a shitty 1980s mountain bike.

yes, thats why you host them offsite and just link