Tire Chat

perhaps outside the scope of this thread but anyone try the 32c gatorskin?

I didn’t realize they made a 32c. Probably comes out at a true 28mm. Might be worth checking out. FWIW, I agree with you. Gatorskin is a pretty damned good tire. When I went through the rear of my GP 4 season, I threw an old Gatorskin on the rear and could hardly tell the difference.

I’ve got 23 tatorz on the Cilo right now and I like em. I’ll probably put the 28 tatorz on soon and put those 23’s back on the tarck where they came from.

how 'bout them Resist Nomads, huh?!

but seriously, I ride gatorskins for work, but I’m stuck in 2006 and still work on a track bike. I still have a total boner for randonneurs but haven’t bought one in years. I even went in to Braden’s shop a few months back and almost bought some but luckily walked out empty handed.

I really can’t give gatorskins enough credit. I ride into work on the only bike lane in the city and it’s FULL of glass. I ride through 2 or 3 patches of glass everyday just to and from work and I haven’t flatted yet from it. Only staples and such while actually cruising around.

So I put the 28/29c (depending on who you ask) Grand BoizZz Cerfs last night in anticipation for the weekly group ride I’ve been keen on lately. Ended up late to the ride, but decided to just ride solo. Ended up doing a century on 'em the first time out.

Going from the 28c GP 4 Seasons to these yielded some noticeable differences.

They seem to hold momentum better, and roll faster in general. This seemed to be most noticeable while coasting.

Imperfections in the road that I thought were going to be jarring were smoothed out nicely as well.

I’ll write more once they are broken in, but for now I am pleased.

best 28mm tire is hetres + dimpling your stays with a golf club

Conti GP4 seasons…good for 2500km, fast, grippy etc then they puncture continuously. Kevlar bead. Actually 26.5mm not 28mm
Gatorskins…reasonably priced, not super fast but not slow. Slightly heavy and not good wet grip however. Puncture resistance excellent until the carcass shows through
Panaracer Pasellas… speed wise, same as Gatorskins but better grip, lighter and more comfy. Kevlar bead. Narrow for a 28mm
Rubino Pro Tech… exactly the same look and feel as a Pasella, except they have superior black side walls
Ultremo ZX… the fastest 28mm ever, grippy, comfy…I think I’m in love. After 2000km the side walls are a morass of cuts so not the most durable. True 28mm
Marathon Supreme… faster than Gatorskin, better grip, stronger than a Pasella but just as light. Kevlar bead. Miracle tyre.
Marathon Plus…slow, heavy, not great wet grip but durable and super puncture resistant. Last about 10,000 miles during which time expect one puncture or less. Good for commuting
Conti Sport Contact…don’t bother

[quote=vorsprung]Conti GP4 seasons…good for 2500km, fast, grippy etc then they puncture continuously. Kevlar bead. Actually 26.5mm not 28mm
Gatorskins…reasonably priced, not super fast but not slow. Slightly heavy and not good wet grip however. Puncture resistance excellent until the carcass shows through
Panaracer Pasellas… speed wise, same as Gatorskins but better grip, lighter and more comfy. Kevlar bead. Narrow for a 28mm
Rubino Pro Tech… exactly the same look and feel as a Pasella, except they have superior black side walls
Ultremo ZX… the fastest 28mm ever, grippy, comfy…I think I’m in love. After 2000km the side walls are a morass of cuts so not the most durable. True 28mm
Marathon Supreme… faster than Gatorskin, better grip, stronger than a Pasella but just as light. Kevlar bead. Miracle tyre.
Marathon Plus…slow, heavy, not great wet grip but durable and super puncture resistant. Last about 10,000 miles during which time expect one puncture or less. Good for commuting
Conti Sport Contact…don’t bother[/quote]

This makes me doubt your other assertions. Also, GP 4 Season is closer to 26mm even.

Not on wide rims.

ultremo is spendy retail and i can’t brodeal them. anyone have experience with the schwalbe durano? labeled 28, supposed to weigh 230g.

[quote=halbritt][quote=vorsprung]
[/quote]

This makes me doubt your other assertions. Also, GP 4 Season is closer to 26mm even.[/quote]

I haven’t used Pasellas for a couple of years and the manufacturers keep changing them. Maybe they used to be faster?

Nah, they’ve always sucked. Gatorskins are a bit faster than Ruffy Tuffys as well.

I measured GP 4 seasons on Open Pros. Came out 26.03mm or thereabouts. They’re probably better on 23mm rims.

Doesn’t seem like anyone can bro-deal a schwalbe tire.

[quote=halbritt]Nah, they’ve always sucked. Gatorskins are a bit faster than Ruffy Tuffys as well.

I measured GP 4 seasons on Open Pros. Came out 26.03mm or thereabouts. They’re probably better on 23mm rims.

Doesn’t seem like anyone can bro-deal a schwalbe tire.[/quote]

Nah they sell direct to retailers - kinda a pita to deal with honestly.

[quote=bobbythehawk][quote=halbritt]Nah, they’ve always sucked. Gatorskins are a bit faster than Ruffy Tuffys as well.

Doesn’t seem like anyone can bro-deal a schwalbe tire.[/quote]

Nah they sell direct to retailers - kinda a pita to deal with honestly.[/quote]

Fucking Germans. I wouldn’t ever buy their overpriced tires if they weren’t so damned good.

Cyclone stocks most of their utility tires but not many of the ballin ones, but what they do have is at solid wholesale pricing.

But dudes really just import tires yourself from euro retailers. There are no domestic brodeals to be had, at best you’ll cut out one of the extra 2-3 middlemen.

If I like Rando Hypers (in 32), but want a true 28mm tahr, I should get what?

grand bois cerf

Are they flat-magnets?

yes

Those Kenda Karvs Braden reviewed are giving me most of it. Would not have found out about them without Tarck. Thanks!