Tire Chat

Or a single (or more if necessary) layer of gorilla tape. Easy to customize width, and much easier to avoid bubbles between layers

How’s removing Gorilla Tape from carbon rims?

Leaves a residue but that residue can be taped over with more gorilla tape.

However sealant likes to weep in under the edges of gorilla tape.

Best option is to use stans tape first to protect the rim from sealant getting under the gorilla tape and funking things up.

Gorilla tape cuz you can get it anywhere.

Stan’s because it doesn’t drink your selant.

I cant recall if these were suggested at all, but I’ve added them to my ongoing “slicks list”
Kenda Big-city https://fixiecycles.com/shop/sports-and-outdoors-sports-and-outdoors/kenda-163026-big-city-slick-wire-bead-bicycle-tire-blackwall-26-x-1-95/
and WTB Thick-slick ThickSlick® Urban Tire | WTB all very s/turdy

Use 3M tape because a single roll is like $7 and it will last you for a fucking eternity.

I did that but I lost the roll after using it to build two wheels. I strongly suspect that it’s in my kid’s art supply tub, where it will remain until probably 2022 or so.

Is 3M tape not Stan’s tape? I’ve actually only used Gorilla Tape. Yeah eventually the sealant starts peeling the edges up but every time I have thought it was my tape leaking it was actually my valve stem. I’ve not figured out how to work with the valve stem area well. My best strategy is to just shake vigorously in that area while it is trying to blow sealant around the stem’s rubber until it fucking stops.

tighten the presta nut more

the valve should not be able to wiggle at all under any sideload

holy fuck balls dh casing tubeless maxxis tires are hard to mount.

[quote=JUGE FREDD]tighten the presta nut more

the valve should not be able to wiggle at all under any sideload[/quote]

I’ve tightened the nut enough on many valve stems to ruin the seal by tearing it. It is something about the shape of the LB rims and the valve seals, and maybe using gorilla tape instead of regular tubeless tape. But it seals after some vigorous shaking in the valve area.

after a/b testing stans tape and gorilla tape, just get the stans (or 3m). I lose way less pressure day over day now using the solid plastic style tape vs gorilla. And I live in Cincinnati where they make Gorilla products so I wanted it to be some sort of great magical tape. It is not IME.

Let’s us put the correct 3M into the tarck DB? I don’t know what it is so someone who does plz do it so I can order it off Amazon.

I think I might try Gorilla Tape in conjunction with a latex liner from the unfortunately named “fatty stripper” for the 2.4" 29er tires i’m gonna tubeless in the next few days. In theory it seems like a good combo.

ime I have a better time with gorilla on carbon, and the 3m/stans/whatever on aluminum. Downside is that the gorilla is thick enough that it can peel back a bit when i’m taking a tire off, which can start to allow sealant to de-sticky the adhesive.

I’ve heard good things about the clear gorilla tape, haven’t tried it yet.

Clear gorilla tape takes away the issues with the regular tape soaking up the sealant and the edge peeling. Have had good experiences with that on cross 3 different wheel sets in aluminium my self. The main problem is the width of the clear tape, you need to trim it down so it fits your rim.

Just buy Tesa 4289 on ebay. Bulk roll is cheap and last you and your friends for years.

Scotch 8898 is good too

[quote=oogens]ime I have a better time with gorilla on carbon, and the 3m/stans/whatever on aluminum. Downside is that the gorilla is thick enough that it can peel back a bit when i’m taking a tire off, which can start to allow sealant to de-sticky the adhesive.

I’ve heard good things about the clear gorilla tape, haven’t tried it yet.[/quote]

That’s interesting. I’ve only used it on carbon rims and have had no reason to complain. I do get that same issue you describe when taking tires off. But I only have to do that when my valve stem starts leaking because I am a ham-fisted idiot.

Also been eyeing the clear Gorilla at the hardware store. Maybe I’ll exchange my new roll of black for clear.

Is there some reason Stan’s is so bad that you have to experiment with tape that is not necessarily designed for tubeless?

stans is just strapping tape, it wasn’t engineered specifically for holding pressure. They just found an off-the-shelf tape that was decently sticky and had good tensile strength. I was buying the stuff marketed as packing tape for about half price of wholesale, and it was identical to stans. I only moved to gorilla when I was having issues getting the stans to stick.

enve tape is just branded gorilla

kapton tape was used by some other company

some people think the current hotness is tyvek tape, supposedly similar to the current velocity and effeto mariposa offering?