Tool Time or, The Road Tools Thread

I’d also be down for a sweet xpac pouch as long as my mini pump fits in it.

I’m going to task Squirrel with coming up with the One Tool Kit to Rule Them All once he has bought every kind of multitool, hand pump, and pencil bag

Like America’s Test Kitchen but for bicycle tools.

2 Likes

This is mine, there’s tubes tapped to my mtb frame and I’ve got a lil top tube bag on my road biek with a tube

1 Like

there’s this: https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/dyneema-x-packing-cubes/

They have cuben pouches too. Not sure how it compares to Xpac?

1 Like

These kick a lot of ass for strapping spare tubes to your frame in a clean and not dumb way. Bonus points, they’re cheap and they come in colors so you can get your matchy match on.

That looks pretty cool. I’ve never strapped a tube to a frame, is there any chance of dirt & vibration abrading a hole in your tube from being so exposed?
Premature wear and tear is one of my top 4 reasons for not keeping my pump mounted externally on the frame (other three are theft, ejection & aesthetic preference).

No

I mean, I don’t possibly see how.

Obviously you can put it wherever you like. This is where I keep mine.

2 Likes

Do you think its long enough to wrap around a tire too?
I’ve done this a few times but with zip ties, was always paranoid that the sharp edge of the zip tie would slash the tire.

1 Like

Sure

I wrap spare tubes in pieces of Tyvek cut from FedEx/USPS envelopes. Protects against abrasion and breakdown from UV.

1 Like

I thought you’d wrap yours in thermal paper from your fax.

(but tyvek tube booties are the way to go. Also not rolling super tightly and leaving exposed to heat or UV, I had to bin a heap of tubes that were stored in the dark, but got hot as they all broke down on the stressed edges.

1 Like

for real though, all of you are overthinking this.

Put the tube on the bike, I like under the saddle, but anywhere is cool. Use enough retention to keep it in place.

Done.

Check periodically to make sure that nothing is fouled.

So much this.

I’ve saved every piece of Tyvek I’ve come across for years and was particularly excited when Braden shipped my spare dangler hangler in a Tyvek envelope. I’ve only used it to boot tires, never thought to wrap tubes with it.

Hmm, all mine are wrapped super tight to make them as small as possible, but inside of a reclosable sandwich bag and then protected by an old sock.

Throw a little talc in the bag?

I do the same, also sometimes throw in a sprig of rosemary and a small polished river rock to keep the tube calm and balanced for its journey

15 Likes

Oh yes, that too. It’s a whole process, which I’ve mostly stopped doing.

Smooth out those chakra

Tube carrying: a riddle, wrapped in tyvek, swaddled in a sock and doused in talc
(at standard temperature and pressure only)

6 Likes