Tubeless mountain bike tire talk here

you ripping the knobs off of the pacestar ones, or just with the trailstar compound?

shit might get really crazy if they start applying the rubber tech from the Schwalbe One to their dirt tires

Not personally (650b bike currently) but just about everyone in the shop has started using their tires and everyone seems happy. I have installed a bunch and one of our guys that came over from a S dealer this summer has been using them for a while and is a big fan. Goes to real mountains and gets radical.

[quote=johnnyraja]

Sometimes maybe. I set up and re-stansed several times a few dozen that came specced on our lower end salsas with mostly negative results before I stopped trying.[/quote]

This was my experience as well. Probably had a 25% success rate. Finally gave up and told people buying bikes specced with those tires they were not going to work and sold them new tires.

[quote=match avatar]American MSRP on the Schwalbe stuff is fucking TRIPLE the euro retail
we just buy em from overseas[/quote]
starbike?
wiggle?
pbk?
who do you like?

I have bought from all of those joints. I recommend buying from somewhere that says ‘in stock’. Then do the math on shipping to your country. When they say ‘ships in 1-3 days’ it means nothing.

went with all WTB tcs everything
watched a video where a guy set it up super easy with a floor pump
tried it out
sealant on my shoes
too many beers to remember this would be a good time to dip into my CO2 stash

gonna take it to the shop compressor today
or blow through some CO2s, if I can get the baby to sleep and the big kids in front of the TV at the same time for 10 minutes

I would just wait until you are at the compressor. Made it 70 times easier for me with that rim.

It is fine with co2. But if you’re exploding sealant with a pump I’d make sure shit is nicely seated first or you’re going to explode a lot more sealant with anything else.

get tire seated, then add sealant thru valve?

is this where i ask what tires to get for PNW riding? 29er hardtail, stan’s crest rims… looks like riding tiger mountain a lot.

I’m having a lot of trouble with that.

In the video, the WTB guy just goes around with his thumbs and boop boop boops something. My shit is not seating nicely at all.

I guess I splashed sealant more than exploded, really.
EDIT: CO2 worked! had to use the hand pump to pop the bead, but nbd.

That was my method, too. Burned off a few co2s but finally got my 2.4 seated. Probably should have worked the one side in by hand first, but this was reseating them after a year of hanging up.

I pour sealant in when tire is 90% mounted and then finish the job. Slosh around, spin various ways, turn this and that orientation, then mess with the bead to make sure it is as close to seated as can be–roll tire around, tug it toward the rim, etc. Finally I try to inflate.

You can really only do it if you have a floor pump that moves a lot of volume.

Closest thing to a tubeless thread. I have the Racing Ralph’s, sweet.

Okay! Anyone have luck with homemade sealant recipes?
Care to share you ingredient list? Personalized how-to videos for your old pal, jake?

is homemade sealant a thing?
isn’t a big jug of stands not too many dollars?
I can’t imagine all the parts costing less than that.

homemade sealant is way cheaper

1 part latex mold builder (from michaels for $11a tub with 40% off coupon)
3 part windshield wiper fluid or rv antifreeze ($2.99 a gallon)
some chunks (I also switched from glitter to corn grits as recommended by dr.welby)

shake and bake in any plastic bottle. cheap, effective and very little labor

Prepared to embark on the homemade sealant journey yesterday only to be foiled by Easter closures. Trying again today. Will be using latex mold builder, RV antifreeze, dryer lint, and red food coloring.

Get in on it

oh didn’t realize stans was $25.
still rolling on the bottle I bought when I was at performance and I think I paid $12 (or nothing) for it.

What about polenta?
Lol

I was reading somewhere that pure Prop glycol in place of afreeze might avoid some toxicity and filler failures. Pls advise

Cost for a bottle of stans is whatever, I’m mostly into doing it myself

I’m gonna need some 650b rubbers for incoming hardtail, generally clueless about mtb tire choice, especially with tubeless thrown in. I literally have no idea.riding east coast/New England singletrack. rocky and rooty, generally damp fair bit of hardpack dusted in leaves and needles.