Tubeless mountain bike tire talk here

Maxxis Ardent EXO. Would setup tubeless even if they don’t say TR (tubeless ready) (but they are probably just as easy to get TR these days).
I think they can go 2.4" these days (for front), and probably 2.25 in the back.

I always preferred the non-tubeless Maxxis, run tubeless. Worked great, mounted easily, was like ~100g lighter than the tubeless-ready versions.

I even survived a few years with them, and no EXO, but I wouldn’t risk that anymore.
So, go non TR and enjoy a little less weight, I guess.

[quote=Sandbagbear]What about polenta?
Lol

I was reading somewhere that pure Prop glycol in place of afreeze might avoid some toxicity and filler failures. Pls advise[/quote]
you want to use RV antifreeze, which is mostly propylene glycol
not the regular car antifreeze

polenta is also delicious. Either way the sealant works good without any chunks

[quote=Sandbagbear]What about polenta?
Lol

I was reading somewhere that pure Prop glycol in place of afreeze might avoid some toxicity and filler failures. Pls advise[/quote]
I use RV antifreeze, the stuff for winterizing potable water systems. it’s basically a propylene glycol solution. works just fine in place of ethylene glycol which will kill your pets or your baby if you’re not careful

edit: what foon said

oh man now I want blue sealant to match my bike
fuck all you guys

[quote=turpencat]oh man now I want blue sealant to match my bike
fuck all you guys[/quote]
Schwalbe Doc Blue

it’s the Stan’s formula dyed for your pleasure

seems kinda nasty to put something organic like corn grits in my tires…
No one seems to be saying it goes rotten on them.

but like, I’d kinda rather throw some carne asada with some fresh cilantro just in case I lose the bead at 30psi and my face is right there.

30 pounds of rim taco like BLAM

Let’s kick it up a notch. BAM!

dorth, go ardent. really no point in even thinking about other options. i have some friends in new england who run ground controls with mixed success.

I installed non-TL Maxxis Ikons on cheap un-TR WTB rims easily w/ floor pumping. Had tire milk seepage at the beads for a week, but it soon ceased.
BTW: I ride Boston-area trails and the Ikons are fine in dry times. A little mud and I’m loosing control.

This reminds me of the time when my coworker pranked me by unseating my tires, inserting a bunch of small peppers, and reseating them. I didn’t find them until I went to swap tires.

the long con

I added a couple dashes of granulated garlic to my mix for added deliciousness. Don’t just see the leak, SMELL the leak!

what kind of pressure can i be running in tubeless nobby nics at the ‘performance’ level? 27.5 x 2.25
they are cheap and stuff. not great sidewall rigidity.
I weigh 145#

Pico de Gallo for various sized holes

[quote=turpencat]what kind of pressure can i be running in tubeless nobby nics at the ‘performance’ level? 27.5 x 2.25
they are cheap and stuff. not great sidewall rigidity.
I weigh 145#[/quote]
should be able to experiment down in the low teens

The ‘performance’ ones at least used to use the previous gen molds, and always have shittier rubber. But the last few years the casing construction has been fairly similar to the Evo versions, just with more/cheaper rubber.

i would fucking fold the tire in every single corner and destroy every rim at pressures that low, and i don’t weigh that much more than jordan. i’m pretty over the whole ‘as low as you can possibly manage’ mentality of tire pressure for off-road riding, it just sucks if you want to go fast at all. this, of course, is my personal preference speaking

really the whole thing of soliciting and giving advice re: tire pressure is funny to me. too many variables, personal preference included. is it that hard to figure out what you like? i keep a floor pump with no pressure gauge i won at a race in my trunk and troll the fuck out of everybody at the trailhead/cx race venue with it. people lose their fucking minds when they realize i have no clue what the actual PSI is in my tires, i just squeeze 'em and shrug.

so jordan just go ride your bike have fun play around with it but don’t expect to find enlightenment or anything. it’s a moving target anyway if you ever ride anything other than the same trail over and over

well I was running 35 which is the min listed for the tire. And I was popping and sliding on all the rocks and hard things. I was more worried if I could take such a cheap tire down in pressure a bit so I can roll over rocks and not be pinging and sliding.
I ran it at a lot lower pressure last year but I don’t recall what that was. With the trails starting to firm up I am looking at getting out every weekend again.