Tubeless mountain bike tire talk here

I’ve successfully used the No Joe’s rubber strips with built in valves on different narrowish non-tubeless mtb rims.
Both 26" and 27,5", they do their job mighty fine IMO.

EDIT: Together with tubeless ready tires ofc.

I used velox under 2 wraps of stans tape.

Anyone know of a tire with a tread simmilar to the SB8?
SB8 has been my go to rear tire for years, but I just can’t get one to set up tubeless for some reason.

There’s the Maxxis Pace.

Whycome when I try to tubeless legit tubeless things (WTB rims and tires, proper width tape) it’s always leaky on initial set-up? I’ve tried being super careful with tape application (which I hate. seriously like least favorite bike-related task. chasing air bubbles can go fuck itself) and putting tubes in overnight first before Stan’s, and… almost every time, there’s no noticeable leak and then they’re flat the next morning.

Should I always start with 2 layers of tape instead of being a cheapass and thinking 1 layer will work? What else? I love tubeless, but I hate the initial troubleshooting.

Always two layers! Or more than two! There’s no reason to be cheap when that 3M stuff is on amazon for $6 per fifty meter roll!

You’re not shaking the sealant enough after install. I spin and bounce the tire a bunch, shake the duck out of it while rotating. Hold the wheel horizontal and spread the sealant all along the sidewalls. I’ll also take soapy water and spread it all over the outside and look for bubbles and it’ll let me know if one spot isn’t quite seated right or I’ll just set it so the sealant pools there for a bit. It’s like kind of a process but it’s nice to get it done the first time. Or tubeless wheels install on bike, go on a ride with a pump, top off at some point and you’ll probably be just fine.

Yeah, it’s about having enough tape (wtf are you doing cheaping out to save like $0.80 worth of tape??), applying the tape correctly and then getting the sealant all around the tire.

Speaking of annoying tubeless shit, I haven’t ridden my mountain bike in a couple of months because I fucked up my back, went on vacation and then got my Endpoint. I noticed today that the front tire was completely flat, but the back was ok. I pumped up the front and it held air just fine. I gave the wheel a spin, though, and it definitely feels like the sealant all dried up in one spot. The rear seems fine though. I guess the front tire got flat and then there was enough outside air coming in that the sealant turned itself into a solid mass?

Not looking forward to scraping out that bigass lump of latex this weekend.

I want to try that stuff.

+1 on shaking the wheel up a bunch. Take the wheel in both hands, shake so sealant goes side to side inside it, rotate slightly, repeat until you get all the way around. Then flip it over and do the same thing.

I, uh… only ever use one layer of tape.

I went from experimenting with one layer of tape to now using 3 layers on every wheel.
It helps that all of my tires seem to be pretty loose on the rim bed so easy to justify the effort of three layers.

1 layer all day club over here.

Clean rim (hot soapy water)
Let dry completely
ONE layer of the CORRECT width tape (assuming it’s Stan’s or same thickness alternative).
Install a used tires and tube at 40+ psi to get that tape good and seated.
Install the tubeless tire dry to make sure it’s not crooked or otherwise wonky.
Put sealant in through valve.
Inflate and go ride it around immediately.

1 layer cru checking in

In this cru. Garyguy why do you hate tubeless tape application? You got a wheel truing stand?

I have a truing stand. It’s the pulling tight and the getting the air bubbles out I hate. Am I doing it wrong?

[quote=Endpoint]Clean rim (hot soapy water)
Let dry completely
ONE layer of the CORRECT width tape (assuming it’s Stan’s or same thickness alternative).
Install a used tires and tube at 40+ psi to get that tape good and seated.
Install the tubeless tire dry to make sure it’s not crooked or otherwise wonky.
Put sealant in through valve.
Inflate and go ride it around immediately.[/quote]
Ain’t nobody got time for that.
-2-4 wraps
-install valve
-install tire with the last little bit of the second side open
-dump in sealant
-close tire
-air
-ride

I’ve never been able to get the tape on tight enough with the wheel in a trying stand. I hold the wheel mostly in front of me with the rim between my knees and ankles and then use my left hand to guide the tape into the bed of the rim and stick it down and my right hand to pull the tape taut.

Works for me.

I’ve found that doing it in the truing stand is too hard to control, or at least requires too much effort to control for my tastes.

to be clear, I don’t use the truing stand for tubeless tape- I just own a truing stand.
I do it DFL way.

I just press hard and try to get it to adhere well with enough friction to cause some heat (I figure that helps the solvents in the tape get all sticky and acquainted with the rim). Use whatever object seems fit for the task of making sure the tape is in full contact with rim that is within arms reach. Sometimes just thumbs but if you’re doing it as vigorously as I am implying you should, you’ll get a little rug burn.