Tubeless mountain bike tire talk here

[quote=JUGE FREDD]what do they look like inside?

you might have to do some nerd shit to fill in the rim well if it’s too deep (one of those methods is the ‘ghetto’ split tube)[/quote]
I wrapped my my front rim in velox and then used filament tape.
It worked really well.
The rear I just used filament tape.
It worked enough worse that I wish I had used the velox again.
I was trying to split test it.

The tubes should help. Supple, light sidewalled tires can be difficult to get in place for floorpumping.

Although they’re not MTB tires, I tried validating Clement’s claim that their new 700x36 gravel tires could be set up w/o a compressor. After using every trick in the book, I finally gave up and used a compressor to seat the front tire. The rear tire/wheel was even worse–I never got the tire to seat (tubeless) even after using a tube overnight to seat the beads. I’d sure like to know which rims they used to make their no-compressor claim.

After letting it sit with a tube in the tire for a couple days, I tried again to set up my rear SB8. I got it to hold a little air and the beads seated, but it was audibly pissing air. I loaded it up with sealant and shook it up. pumped it up and at about 20psi it started oozing and bubbling sealant. I’ve got it sitting flat on a bucket hoping it seals up.

needs more drier lint.

Thanks yall!
MY SHIT HELD PRESSURE ON THE FIRST TRY.

i still just want to know why my rear high roller II is bleeding sealant so bad. by bleeding i mean through the tire sidewall and at the bead.
i figured it would stop, but it’s still bleeding 6 months later.

holds air great though. just unsure how there’s even still any liquid in there (i haven’t checked… i just know it’s still bleeding through).

How concerned should I be about burps?

I was out wrecking shit today and there were a couple pounders there that burped my rear tire a little. Just a little spittle, 3 times in 8 miles.
I got drifty and shit, some good tire roll and everything held pressure.

?

I dunno, maybe run a little more pressure? I used to run my tires as low as possible, but I’m starting to air them up a little more these days for more support (also fat now). Burped the front badly last week, got crossed up in a rut. High sided at about 15, messed up my chest some how

Anyways, I’d run a little more air, let the suspension do the bump work

jakes rolling hard tail i believe
if i burp a tire i ride back to the car where i keep a floor pump because im a baby.

on other news my front tire went flat and i pulled it off and all that was left was what looked like melted semen.
was also smelly. poured in some super sauce and inflated it back up.

Yeah rolling a hardtail. I think I was running lower pressure than I thought, like 20 psi on both.
So maybe that’s it.

On other news Abby somehow put the bike on the trunk rack in a way that had the front tire right on the exhaust outlet and she melted/blew the fuck out of her Ardent. Lol also there was a big fire on the highway that day around the same time and I accused her of starting it. lol.

Anyway, I bought her up some new shits. Got the Bontrager XR3 and XR4 in the 2.35"
Almost didn’t get them mounted this eve because of the sturdy sidewall and the first compressor couldn’t juice it proper. So we went to the 15gallon DeWalt and cranked up the regulator to full blast.

Gawd. I was in that shop today where the dude was trying so hard to sell me those Bontrager tires and I just kept thinking that I’d never heard 'em mentioned on tarck. But then I DGAF about what y’all have to say sometimes so I bought those tires anyway because he worked for it.

But that’s not my point, they have those full sproing Treks from last year a thousand bucks off and I’m looking at my Diamondback® with gratitude and all because it has a decent fork and it helped me see my first bobcat, but shit I love the colors on those Treks.

my bike came with xr3s and i upgraded them to xr4s. the xr4s were awesome and held up for me for a real long time with no issues. the bontrager sealant also worked well, i never had any burps or leaks, and the sealant was still wet when i removed the tired after about 18 months of use.

I had some Bonty XR2 Team Issue tires, and they were constantly washing out. Good if you want to save some weight, but not so hot for getting rad on hardpack or loose-over-hard.

Mounted up some OEM Maxxis High Roller IIs the other night using 3-4 ounces of Orange Seal sealant per-tire. Came out the next morning and both tires had maybe 5psi in 'em. Pulled the valve cores and injected 4 ounces of Caffelatex sealant in each tire, and they’re OK now. Don’t know what it is about the Maxxis MTB tires, but they seem to require more sealant than other brands.

I love Bontrager tires, and have mentioned them a lot. I used to ride them almost exclusively, back when I was racing XC hardtails. They (XR4) hooked up great, and punctured or great with no more or less frequency than anything else I rode.

Bontrager’s cyclocross tires are also totally legit, and their TLR ones are the best I’ve seen in that category.

Townie, I must not have seen you talking about them.
Cool thanks y’all for the confidence on wife’s new meat.

Wow.

Are the rubber rim strips with the presta valves built into them bullshit? Stan’s tape and separate valve better?

They each have their place. If we’re talking non-tubeless rims, some will work just fine with a little tape while others need the thick rubber strip to take up the extra room between the rim and tire bead. You want the tire to fit tightly agaist the bead shelf of the rim, so, yea. That’s how that works.

Every tubeless rim I’ve encountered needs nothing more than single wrap of tape, some are drilled from the inside and don’t even need tape.

I’ve just used extra wraps of tape to tubless non tubless rims.