Tubeless

[quote=AndreBear]After reading this thread and then a three part article in CX magazine (you can read part 1 here: http://www.cxmagazine.com/going-tubeless-cyclocross-racing-intro), I think I’m going to build a tubeless setup for my cross bike come next fall with Stan’s ZTR 29er rims and whatever 32h hub. My current clinchers are nearly trashed anyway, so a new wheelset was an inevitability.

Stoked to be able to run the tires I already have (Mud 2’s) and not have to worry about buying expensive cross tubbies.

Question: will road tubeless work on a ZTR 29er rim? Would the tire hold to the wider rim? Trying to foresee what I’d be training on in the winter post-CX season, since I usually use my CX bike for winter training and only keep one wheelset around for it.

Edit: On further research, looks like it’s possible to use Stan’s ZTR rim with larger road tires + tubes around 80PSI with no problems. Could be a worthwhile setup, then: race tubeless for CX season, then just swap the CX tires for some Schwalbe Marathon 700x28’s and go road training in the winter.[/quote]
This is totally what I would do if I hadn’t just ordered a DT RR465. I might try to get my OP and the DT to work tubeless.

sounds pretty rad…

Which makes you wonder why after 4-5 years of being on the market and pretty much all the best wheel companies making them, have they not taken off yet.
I also heard a big complaint being that they aren’t much lighter than clincher tires and the limited tire availability.[/quote]
90% of the people that buy spec. s-works and moots and titus and lynskey and cdale and salsa mtbikes from us use tubeless. basically the nitpicky rich people. some are legit tire/rim combos, some are not. no one has had any problems or a single complaint about what they run.

my cross bike dropped a pound, and my mtb dropped almost 2.

availability? kenda, maxxis, specialized, WTB, stans, hutchinson…[/quote]

I was referring to road tubeless.

oh werd.

how practical would a tubless setup be on a commuter road bike, seems like the sealant generally does a good job of sealing punctures so it seems to me it would be a pretty good for that. Also looking for more confirmation that using non tubless tires works. I kinda want to go ghetto tubeless on some open pros with like some gp4000s for fair weather commutoracing and longer rides. good idea?

It works for fat tires for sure, but I’ve never heard of anyone doing ghetto tubeless with skinny tires. I guess that it would work, but you’re going to have to work your ass off to make sure the bead stays seated while you inflate to that pressure. Seems not worth it, except just to say you tried. Which is a noble cause. Give it a shot.

Like deadforking said, it is highly important that the bead doesn’t move around inside the rim. So i dunno if ghetto tube is really a good idea because tubeless rims actually have a slightly different profile and the difference is an extra ridge meant to keep the bead from moving around inside. i mean, i haven’t run tests and don’t know how important it is, but there is a patent around this thing, so i’m guessing it is.

+1. I mean, it seems like if you’re going to do it, you might as well do it proper. Who wants to dick around with burps and roll offs? Plain and simple, if you don’t have air in your tires, you can’t ride your bike.

Air Max LTD
Air Max LTD Shoes
Nike Air Max 2010
Nike Air Max 180
Nike Air Max 2003
Nike Air Max 2009
Nike Air Max 360
Air Max 87 Shoes
Nike Air Max 90