What did you do to your crosscheck today?

Looks like I’m gonna put my traitor up with parts bin parts on it

It me.

It is gone. First bike I’ve sold that I felt some sentimental attachment to.

How much for just the rack off the traitor?

It will be tough the first time you see it in public with the new owner. Be strong.

2 Likes

First foray into the spray.bike thing, colour Memphis and the Keirin sunlight purple on top. You should carry this colour @igor!

22 Likes

Sweet!!

I hacked an XTR long cage onto this dura-ace derailleur only to find it still wouldn’t shift up to the 36.

So I swapped in this one instead.

Slowly parts binning the Crust together with the random free minutes I’m finding on rainy days.

9 Likes

Damn that XTRxDA collabo is sweet! Why didn’t it work? The biggest difference between a derailleur that can shift into a big cassette is usually the upper knuckle placement, rather than just derailleur cage length. The cage length is typically most useful for taking up chain wrap for doubles and triples.

2 Likes

you said it yourself

Also the slant of a parallelogram. Swapping the cage doesn’t change the path of the upper pulley. That looks like a 7800, Shimano rated it for a 27T cog, 36T is a huge difference. It probably just rammed itself into the cassette around the 8th cog.

2 Likes

The pulley looked a bit more offset so I was hoping that plus a longer b screw would get me far enough. It cleared all the way to the 10th, but I couldn’t get it to stop ramming. Didn’t bother with the tail hook lengthener in the first pic as it dropped too far on the 11t producing terrible chain wrap. No real need to hack when I had a fine MTB RD, just wanted to experiment.

3 Likes

oh i am fully in favor of experimenting with frankendanglers, and that one was pretty rad.

2 Likes

That’s a shame, it looks really nice.

1 Like

Tried to pry the cartridge bearing out of a headset, only to remove the inner race - luckily all the BBs stayed in place and I re-assembled without ruining my day.

1 Like

Ive got a crap-load of octa-link in my parts bin too, some of it DA as well. It is pretty. I dont have that PITA extractor tool part tho so it never gets applied to anything, and all of the bikes I could apply it to have stupid BB’ s French, or slogged, and held together with a screw-into-itself BB.

Wife’s covfefe grinder got j-pak’d

god damn, I mean GOD DAMN.

18 Likes

New front tire for the Jones:

3 Likes

Curious as to your thoughts, especially compared to other tires. I have them in 29x2.6 (35mm inner width rim) on my new Trek.
Don’t have much to compare to except Spec Purgatory 29x2.4 that I rode ages ago.

My current setup is 29 x 2.8 Coronado (rear)/29 x 3.0 Ranger (front). Works well on the Jones, but the front can be prone to washing out if you’re not careful. Tried the Bonty XR2 in front, and it felt a lot like the Ranger. I’m hoping the XR4 will offer better, more predictable cornering.

Vittoria has some plus-size tires that look interesting:
https://www.vittoria.com/us/tires/off-road-tires/off-road-tires-fat-and-plus.html

I stuck a nütarckbear sticker over the remnants of the og tarckbear sticker on my Traffic.

11 Likes