What did you do to your crosscheck today?

What I did to my bike today: ran over something that not only sliced my 2-ride-deep gp5000, but also broke a spoke. I didn’t even see what it was.

12 Likes

wow that’s a real flat

fixed

Put the rear rack back on the big Sam so it can be more useful should I ever go back to the office (and choose to ride that bike). Also rode it after yet another stem swap. Dammit, I kind of didn’t want that to feel as good as it did. Dumb thing might actually sticking around now.

Messed with the tarckmas rack Orc gifted me to see how it needs to be adjusted for the new day ruiner fork. The new rack platform is much lower than the stock rack and definitely not going to work with the Cascadia fenders. Ordered some noir VO fenders for hopefully better compatibility.

“I got a flat tire so flat it ruined the tire and broke a spoke”

Ouch

how much more flat could it be? the answer is none. none more flat.

2 Likes

One time I got a flat tire, rainy patch failures, broken pump on one bike ride. Camped overnight in the middle of nowhere. On the way out it was even worse and then the bearings in my ultegra froant hub shredded somehow while I was riding the dirt road on my bare rims while crying out of sheer frustration. Totally destroyed my front wheel, rim and hub, and got a lift out from a friendly, if bemused logging supervisor. Also my wool pants ripped to shreds somehow.

This was an overnight ride I did to Brooklyn, Washington in January 2010. One of the worst rides I’ve ever been on. I also assumed the bar in town would be open and didn’t bring much food with me, and it was closed as fuck. Slept in the covered outdoor space out back. Earlier in the day I crashed on a slick wooden bridge on the chehalis trail and broke my brake lever.

Cursed. Then-supgirl drove out to retrieve me and we stopped and bought Mario galaxy on the way home so not a total loss.

22 Likes

that is even more flat

1 Like

The worst flat I ever was a part of was right after I became a “bike ambassador” for a local shop and they gave me a bunch of tools and stuff and were like “let us know when you fix something and we’ll give you free tubes and whatever” yeah whatever.

Anyway it was a rainy day and I was headed out on my 4 mile commute and some lady was on the side of the road in the parking strip on Ankeny/17th ish and So I stopped. Flat tire? No prob. Break out the levers and She drove through (hopefully) dog shit so that was gross and in finding the glass in her tire I cut my hand so there’s that. I fixed the tire and cursed the whole way to work.

Not as bad as your wheel ruining flats but ??? Never had a chance to type that one I guess

2 Likes

Any flat that involves dog shit is the worst.

3 Likes

not as bad as human shit
good reminder to put some nitrile gloves in the bike bags

4 Likes

Doing that now!!

1 Like

I managed to run over a used condom on my last ride. Luckily did not flat, still hosed tire off when I got home.

1 Like

New tires for sup’s bike

New 210mm drooper on my bike- fucking xfusion manic cartridge died in 2 weeks this time.

32mm RF Turbine R stem

Diety Supracush grips (34mm)

Oh and since I needed something else to get free shipping on Deity, and I lost a valve cap on the van, I picked up some purple caps.

10 Likes

Can vouch for the Hellkat being a hella great all rounder (no idea bout the new nevegal though), I haven’t felt the need to swap it from the front on my bikes for +2 years!

1 Like

It is a 2.6 and was new. It is pretty fast rolling, and she gets enough grip. Double Hellkat would probably be my idea, but at least some feeling of slightly faster for the slow climber keeps her happy.

1 Like

Only have the 2.3, but I’d go 2.6 if I would buy new ones today (they only had the thin ones back when). Did Hellkat/Helldriver for a good while. It’s one of the grippier semi-slicks I’ve tried out of the offerings and does pretty good even in semi-wet conditions. Double Hellkat seems like what the fast folx do in the DHWC etc.

Now I’m on the unholy blasphemy: Hellkat/Eliminator (MIXING BRANDS FFS!!!)

1 Like

Hoping to try the eliminator blck diamond if the Spec rep ever gets back in the area. I bought the pink enduro off him and he said he’d be back with them, then COVID.

Whoa, 210 mm drop is a lot! I like it with the steeper STA because seat was hitting around my knees. Now it is lower. Though when I got tired, I got used to just sitting and pedaling in low position sometimes. Can’t do that anymore. Guess I just need to get stronger.
Not fully in love with OneUp lever. I feel like the axis is wrong. It sits closer to the bar and not lower like a shifter paddle. Works well enough, but maybe I just need to get used to is.

On dat sweet 2.6 blck-dmnd in the rear, hella tyre for sure!

1 Like

On the HG I cut out my SP hub and rebuilt my rim to the new 12mm Metrea dyno and installed with the 15 to 12mm adapter. It’s great. Then I destructively cracked open the SP to see the innards.

10 Likes