wheel building / discussion thread

opened the link and somehow I’m 22 minutes into the video and don’t ever remember watching it.

Last night I laced a rear wheel using all of the techniques I always use and something is wrong.
All of the trailing spokes on the drive side are way loose and bottomed out while all of the drive side leading spokes are super tight with threads still exposed.
On the NDS the opposite is true, the leading spokes are all loosey goosey and the trailing spokes are so super tight!
WTF did I do wrong?

When you laced you second set of spokes you took your trailing spoke at the rim to a leading hole at the hub. All your spokes on one flange are off by one hole.

You mixed up your DS/NDS spoke piles?

Sounds like this.

I learned to lace with the Schraner book and used it to build some wheels at the co-op in college. After that I was working in shops and just did it from memory so people wouldn’t make fun of me. Once I got done lacing and was about to tension when I realized I fucked up the valve hole positioning, but otherwise I did pretty well, atmo.

Now that I have left the bike mines, I only end up building wheels every year or so. Every time, I try to go from memory on at least one of the wheels and every damn time I fuck it up, get frustrated, curse myself for even trying this shit and then pull out Sheldon’s instructions and calm down. I think it’s about time to admit that I don’t practice this frequently enough to get much better at it and every time I do it now is going to involve learning how to do it again.

What Schraner’s instructions do that Sheldon’s don’t is start with one leading and one trailing spoke on either side of the valve hole. That hangs the hub in the approximate orientation it’s going to have when you’re done and gives you a better sense of when you’ve fucked up the lacing before you’ve done 90% of the lacing. If I try to start Sheldon’s way, doing all the trailing spokes first, I usually do at least one thing stupidly and end up stuck relacing or at least doubt that I’m doing it the right way, since there’s not as good a way to check your work.

Went and found a pdf of the Schraner book and found my favorite line:

[quote=Gerd, on twisted spoke lacing]Every serious wheelbuilder who has ever practiced this kind of spoking pattern has sworn to refrain from repeating the error.

Yet young bike freaks, apprentices and mechanics seem to like this kind of spoking pattern. My advice: Leave them at it and let them continue to show their enjoyment and enthusiasm in this way. It’s better to see them rolling spokes than rolling joints.[/quote]

So if I relace my NDS spokes one hole over, it should fix my issue?

The more I think about it, the more I think you guys are right.
I feel like I put the first spoke in the second group in the hole to the right of the key spoke instead of the hole to the left of the key spoke because I’m slightly dyslexic in that way.

begging for a ‘yo i think this weed wheel is laced’ meme treatment

Pictures go a long way towards figuring out what went wrong.

I’ll take some tonight before I start messing with it.

[quote=deadforkinglast]Went and found a pdf of the Schraner book and found my favorite line:

[quote=Gerd, on twisted spoke lacing]Every serious wheelbuilder who has ever practiced this kind of spoking pattern has sworn to refrain from repeating the error.

Yet young bike freaks, apprentices and mechanics seem to like this kind of spoking pattern. My advice: Leave them at it and let them continue to show their enjoyment and enthusiasm in this way. It’s better to see them rolling spokes than rolling joints.[/quote][/quote]

He right tho, I have found that joints and wheelbuilding, unfortunately, do not mix as well as I hoped. Maybe the pro wheelbuilders can pull it off.
Chain cleaning/lubing on the other hand…

You want to get real about bikes?

Bath salts and headset installation

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel][quote=deadforkinglast]Went and found a pdf of the Schraner book and found my favorite line:

Yet young bike freaks, apprentices and mechanics seem to like this kind of spoking pattern. My advice: Leave them at it and let them continue to show their enjoyment and enthusiasm in this way. It’s better to see them rolling spokes than rolling joints.[/quote][/quote]

He right tho, I have found that joints and wheelbuilding, unfortunately, do not mix as well as I hoped. Maybe the pro wheelbuilders can pull it off.
Chain cleaning/lubing on the other hand…[/quote]
I’ve never been able to lace a wheel while stoned, but tensioning can be nice if I’m somewhere where I can work without distraction.

Overall though, it’s a bit of a crapshoot.

Oh hey, my mystery is solved. I was indeed one hole off on the nds. Good call dudes.
The wheel is reborn!

I get to do my first Rohloff in the coming week or two. Just got one dropped off from local shop for me to build up. Holy smokes that a lot of engineering packed into that thing!

What’s it weigh?

I picked up some spokes at the bike shop today and the guy joked that they were gonna get me a punch card.

Schwermetall!