Where is the jackass bike parts thread?

For real?

Troy Lee Flites FTW!

Says the dude with this as his avatar:

(…which I happen to like, but that Flite is ugly as fuck)

I thought about making this thread based upon the carbon bars thread.

I think carbon MTB bars are jackass. Mountain bikes are designed to take serious impact, and they get crashed and beaten. They need to be more durable, not lighter, IMO.

Also, those spiked bar ends that were around a couple of years ago. Bad idea.

yay! my thread spawned a jackass thread, somewhat!

Way to ruin a classic.

wah

the world needs an ed hardyXselle san marco collabo

rhinestones all up in yo gooch

Ahhhh, Troy Lee Designs… I hadn’t thought about that name for probably a decade, 'til right now.

Helmet to match?

i have these gloves. im jackass? they breathe and fit so well…like a glove.

i have some grenade CC935 gloves too. they look badass but i dont really like them so i tend to wear them when im using my grinder.

Do they have bloodshot eyeballs shooting across them anywhere? If so, yes. if not, you’re alright.

[quote=daedelus]I thought about making this thread based upon the carbon bars thread.

I think carbon MTB bars are jackass. Mountain bikes are designed to take serious impact, and they get crashed and beaten. They need to be more durable, not lighter, IMO.

Also, those spiked bar ends that were around a couple of years ago. Bad idea.[/quote]

for a weekend warrior, sure, jackass

for actual (professional and/or elite) mtb racing, bikes and components are disposable and replaceable, and need to be fast and light just like road shit. hence carbon. not jackass.

I think carbon road bars are pretty dumb, too. They’re not that much lighter than a decent aluminum bar, anyway.

For example, according to universal cycles:
Easton EC70 Carbon Wing Bar ($200): 225g
Easton EA70 Wing Road Bar ($80): 240g (225g w/26.0 clamp)

Besides, when it comes to professional racing, shit is so light now that people sometimes end up using heavier equipment just to get above the UCI weight limit.

For a given weight and assuming the same dimensions, carbon should be stiffer than aluminum. This is one possible benefit of using carbon bars.

True.
I guess my main issue is that something that might make sense for a sponsored professional to race with is kind of jackass for your average weekend group ride, especially when the benefits are marginal.

Carbon bike parts are bling, there’s nothing jackass about that. It just doesn’t make a functional improvement. What I think is jackass are the people that say that carbon absorbs road buzz.

Everyone knows that’s what those little orange Trek things do.

why aren’t these here yet

disgusting

Did Nitto do that or did someone do it to Nitto?