Why was my bike made?

Also

[quote=Cody]

[/quote]

2 bros 1 bike

That scaffolding looking one is awesome to look at but I would be so scared to ride it.

is the first one for that eastern europe gymnasium FGFS riding? maybe for two people

I just saw that one on Busted Carbon the other day

Interesting how it broke at the joints, and not in the scaffolding.

why have i never seen this site

awesome

I called shenanigans on those isotruss bikes when they first announced them. My roommate was convinced that they were revolutionary and that every pro would be riding them within a couple seasons.

Cool story, bro.

why have i never seen this site

awesome[/quote]
x2

EDIT: Ok… some crappy stories, but some people have this fear of carbon and its inferiority to metals, really?. BIKE HIT BY CAR!!!

The Rivendell Reader had some article about a literal swordfight with two forks, one carbon, one steel. Two dudes just beating the fuck out of these forks. The carbon fork beat the shit out of the steel fork. Grant Peterson, of course, still proclaimed the steel fork the winner in its own right, but come on. Shit is strong.

Tensile strength is inherently better than just about anything. Impact resistance is usually not so great unless specifically engineered for that purpose that’s why you see a lot of broken carbon bits after a wreck with impact, which is most of what’s on that site. A little bit of kevlar in the lay up goes a long way, some folks design for impact protection with carbon. By “some folks” I really mean Santa Cruz Bikes. They mentioned having ~.500" layup on the bottom of the downtube of the new V10 carbon. I imagine that’d be difficult to break. Also, as a point of reference, here’s a bit of carbon that’s been designed with impact protection in mind:

That video was shopped. I can tell from the pixels.

DId that scaffold frame break or just come unbonded? Doesn’t look broken to me.

Tensile strength is inherently better than just about anything. Impact resistance is usually not so great unless specifically engineered for that purpose that’s why you see a lot of broken carbon bits after a wreck with impact, which is most of what’s on that site. A little bit of kevlar in the lay up goes a long way, some folks design for impact protection with carbon. By “some folks” I really mean Santa Cruz Bikes. They mentioned having ~.500" layup on the bottom of the downtube of the new V10 carbon. I imagine that’d be difficult to break. Also, as a point of reference, here’s a bit of carbon that’s been designed with impact protection in mind:

[/quote]
I’ve seen that video a few times (I think you’ve posted it before) and I love it.

I’m really stoked on the Santa Cruz carbon bikes. It’s exciting to see them finally jump into carbon fiber, since they wouldn’t fuck with it unless it was STRONG. I can’t wait for the carbon Chameleon, even though they have no plans to make a carbon Chameleon as far as I know.

The busted carbon blog also has a bunch of “Just riding alongs” but those are usually the less spectacular looking posts, some if you believe the back story are just sad with lots of complaining about companies not replacing frames components etc.
The only thing I learned from the niner video is that hammers can damage forks. When you do dramatic deliberate repeated not simulating any type of real world damage with one…Carbon vs steel…you can tell that someone hit your steel fork repeatedly with a hammer or something and that you should get a new one for safety if not looks alone. The carbon fork looks to me like something the average(and often misinformed about the pros and cons of carbon) cyclist would continue to ride.

I talked with a rep today regarding the physical strength of the new carbon V10. Using their inhouse frame testing tools the carbon front end withstood 4x the punishment as the traditional aluminum front end with significantly reduced weight. Now only if they could make it ride like an M3.

carbon chameleon with the EBB might just be god’s chariot.

There’s a video of the test on their website. Apparently, the V10 carbon was the first bike they were unable to break with their on site testing tools. I’m not surprise. I saw the cross section of the layup and it is fucking burly as hell.

Up until recently, carbon parts on bikes were used to achieve lower weight. I’m pretty excited to see the material start to get used for it’s greater strength properties.

That said, many manufacturers have used the material inappropriately. Carbon forks with aluminum steerers scare me.