would it be jackass of me to...

paint a silver rim on a built wheel black? i realize i need to protect the nipples, so this would be by hand with acrylic. to me, being too concerned with aesthetics is part of jackass. but the bike looks so oddly unbalanced to me otherwise…thoughts?

Sell / trade and get the color you want atmo.

yeah i don’t think it would work real well hand painted, you will probably regret it

i don’t care if it chips off, i kind of like a grimy look, i just want to know if i’m a jackass for caring so much that i’ll handpaint a rim.

the brushtrokes might look crappy though.

If you have to ask then the answer is probably yes.

Will not look good. Don’t bother.

Why acrylic? Just wrap some blue tape around the spokes/nipples, put a shitty tire on the rim, and go at it with spray paint.

you’re right.

you’re probably also right.

Ride it as is. You’ll warm up to it.

And if not keep your eyes peeled in the mean time.

yeah. i always warm up to shit. when i first looked at this new setup of the bike, though, i felt like i was looking at two different bikes that had been cut apart and had the front and back ends jammed together with no regard if they fit or not. i’m warming up already, though, since i made the op.

elmers glue and aluminum foil

jackass atmo.

Just ride it. Or get a new rim and rebuild.

I got a purple POSCA paint pen to paint my BMX rim when I took the brakes off. Only the surface though. At the end of the day, its your call. It would probably look silly painted, but probably looks silly without. I would continue riding it as is, until something you want turns up.

maybe some solvents or something would take the coating/paint off the rim?

I don’t think wanting yr rims to match is jackass. Part of why I built up new rear wheel for Teh Misfit. That and the old one was 7spd.

“Matching” ano’d components that don’t quite match is jackass. Painting rim might be jackass if it ends up looking like ass. Getting new black rim not jackass. atmo.

no not really. Acting like you don’t care about aesthetics is more jackass.

remove tire
tape off nipples (giggity)
tape newspaper over everything besides rim
spray paint
remove tape

then in like 6 months it’ll look all beat up, hella street cred

***you can learn this trick, and many more, in GRHebard’s Guide to Instant Street Cred available at an IminusD store near you

[quote=GRHebear]remove tire
spray paint
remove tape

***you can learn this trick, and many more, in GRHebard’s Guide to Instant Street Cred available at an IminusD store near you[/quote]

I would like to order 5 copies please. How many Cred Points does having this guide on your coffee table earn?

[quote=Jim][quote=GRHebear]remove tire
spray paint
remove tape

***you can learn this trick, and many more, in GRHebard’s Guide to Instant Street Cred available at an IminusD store near you[/quote]

I would like to order 5 copies please. How many Cred Points does having this guide on your coffee table earn?[/quote]

None, in fact you lose 5 points for having a coffee table. However, if said table is a milk crate or two side by side you get exactly 3.5 street cred points.