Wtb: 31.8 steerer stem

31.8 bar clamp. Looking for 100-110.

Any sort of color/quality you’re particularly looking for?

I have this nice Deda with matchy 27.2 post. The stem is a 110 I believe.
$80 for both
edit: the color is a warm gray/pewter, deda called it “DMP”.

I also have this Shimano PRO PLT, 100mm:
$40
edit: more of a cool gray

I would seriously suggest just dropping by your local big bike shop. Every bike comes with 100-110mm stems and half of them get switched out for 80-90mm ones. My old shop had a bucket of high end 100mm stems that we sold for like $20 max

if you want one in ‘is a stem’ quality-way I will find one for you for the cost of shipping.

On eBay, for $25 you can get a Kalloy UNO in AL7050, it’s pretty much as light as it gets.

31.8 steerer tubes must be more common than I thought.

2 Likes

https://www.jejamescycles.com/giant-contact-od2-stem.html?__store=us&gclid=CjwKCAjwg-DpBRBbEiwAEV1-FJf7ujudJfHcpkGIdpiOxZ8-Us5W0FN-tM9o9Sz9uNf2Pic1ef69hoCkL8QAvD_BwE

No one calls them that though. This is for a 1.25" steerer? Giant?

Whoops, my mistake. I saw the title but then read the first post and forgo about steerer. Mine are 9/8" steerer.

I realized after reading this why steerer is always in inches and bars in mm. Keeps it clear which measurement is which.

plus what will you do about 26.0 bars and why???

my bad too, I mixed the 31.8 steerer in the title and the 31.8 bar in the OP.
if you’re looking for some 5/4" stems Canyon has some on their website and there are a bunch of Giant and Ritchey ones on eBay too.

I mean, we should do both in mm and stop making things in inch standards, but a little late for that now

2 Likes

TIL google will convert any measurement to cubits or furlongs for you

It’s a giant. Their site used 31.8.

maybe on the int’l version?
doesnt really matter - 1.25" and 31.8mm are def the same thing. i have a giant with the “overdrive” system and it was very clearly marketed as 1.25" at the time.

their listing for stems doesnt even mention anything about the steerer besides the that an 1-1/8" adapter is included.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contact-od2-stem-plus---8-deg
either way, i’m sure you can find a cheap take off if you check ebay for 1-1/4" stems.

yeah, but real question which came first? 25.4 or 26.0? seems like 26.0 was almost always curly bars and 25.4 was mostly flat friends. except for nitto curly bars, but not all of them.

also, how does one tell a 25.4 stem apart from a 26.0 stem without bars on hand?

then there’s 31.7… but that’s just an italian rounding error that seems to only be done by deda.

I’m all for going full metric though, but i can’t argue that 1/8s and 1/16s happen to be awfully handy gaps in materials sizing. but i’ve been indoctrinated by judging speed in bald eagles per donuts thrown in the trash…

let’s not forget 26.4 bars.

my first road bike was an early 90s bianchi and i tried to get a shorter them, only to find out i had 26.4 bars. came with like a 130 stem and giant ergos.

wait wat

ohhhh those cinelli jawns?