Xtracycle

I’m planning on building one up to haul some film equipment next quarter and maybe rig up a camera mount on the back. I tried using my friend’s bike trailer to haul stuff but the spring attachment made me lose a lot of momentum and going up hills sucked. Anybody have any experience with an xtracycle? Curious about how they ride.

I’m curious too. Also - Anybody here ridden a Kona Ute?

I’ve also lusted after one. Can anyone recommend what bike to add them to?

A good friend has one, I’ve used it several times. They are awesome. They work best when mated with a mountain bike. I would suggest having a disc front brake as the weight is increased by a lot. They are hard to wheelie, but I managed to do it. They are easier to wheelie than a tandem, though. I am building a tandem xtracycle.

[quote=“doofo”]i have a big dummy on my list for the future

but i cant say that the ute or just an xtracycle on a rigid mtb would be significantly worse[/quote]

Yeah. A Big Dummy would be great, but the Ute is 1/3 the price.

I’m also curious about these. They’re a little smaller than a Bakfiets and half the price. Rated for only 150 lbs of cargo though.

Apparently the Kona Ute uses proprietary accessories which is a drawback with so many companies making stuff for the Xtracycle.

Every time I seriously think about ordering a kit they are backordered, have they caught up with demand yet?

I could probably get you one today if you wanted one. I’m pretty sure the shop close to me has a few sitting around.

I was planning on building a 700c version with this schwinn cross fit frame at the shop. Would this be a bad idea? I was also planning on just using canti’s. Is a disc brake that necessary/worth the extra money?

I work at the coop over here so I can just order one off QBP but thanks for the offer.

If you know how to properly set up cantis, which you probably do, then you should be fine.

I was planning on building a 700c version with this schwinn cross fit frame at the shop. Would this be a bad idea? I was also planning on just using canti’s. Is a disc brake that necessary/worth the extra money?

I work at the coop over here so I can just order one off QBP but thanks for the offer.[/quote]
If you are doing a flatbar bike, there is no reason not to get at least v-brakes. More braking power is always better.

The 700c versus 26" comes down to what you will be riding on and what you have available. A 26" wheel will be stronger, all else being equal, than a 700. If you have everything for a 700c bike, just do that.

I live in Santa Cruz right now where we have huge/small hills and will have bad weather soon. Since the frame needs a new fork anyways I’ll probably go with some mechanical disc brakes.

It certainly isn’t going to hurt anything, and I’m sure you can pick a used one up off a mountain biker for cheap.

I have an xtra and I love it.
I built it on a 2007 specialized hardrock with the shitty front squish replaced with the nashbar steel atb fork.
When unloaded, the ride is barely any diferent than a normal bike.
When loaded, you obviously have to contend with the added weight and sometimes the rear end feels like it kinda wiggles back and forth, but it’s no big deal. I think the xtracycle is a great platform for a cargo bike, but the kit’s a little overpriced.
Here’s pics:

I could carry way more stuff with the wideloader attachment but I’z cheap.

Also,

the bike shop in a tiny town near where I live currently has a ute in the window, looks so epic. I have great faith in them, the guy that runs the shop is an aging mountain bike dude who still has long hair, smokes too much herb and only opens his shop like 4 days a week, sometimes 3. He’s probably my favorite person ever.

How does a loaded long-tail handle big hill climbs?

I have no idea.
I live in chicago.
There are no hills other than short river bridges.

bump

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]I have no idea.
I live in chicago.
There are no hills other than short river bridges.[/quote]
lucky :colbert:

not really