You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

What is that suit on the little one because the oakiwear we have is reaching the end of it’s durability.

2 Likes

That’s an awesome family cruiser.

I have the same bag ziptied down to the rack on my cycletruck! coroplast in the base, holes for zipties, it’s holding up pretty well so far.

1 Like

I’m gonna bolt down this collapsible box.

7 Likes

Anyone have a suggestion of a rigid plastic material that I can use to make a deck for the Omnium? I’m sick of my box bouncing around on the dumb seatbelt straps.

I’m having good luck with Coroplast, the softness of the material and the cellular structure make it less loud than a plastic storage tub. HDPE is the other stuff that people tend to use

3 Likes

Y’all think this 1/8” sheet of hdpe would be appropriate/strong enough to use as a deck on the omnomnomnom?

Definitely if you keep the straps underneath

This is it I think. Dunno if you can get them outside Sweeeden, though.

1 Like

Id go at least 1/2"

I had a platform made of that stuff for my old bullitt and it was great but also had a lot more support than the omnium has

2 Likes

1/2” would be about the minimum if you take the straps off and it’s unsupported.

A 0.5" sheet that size is gonna weigh 20 lbs.

Fiberglass sheet might be worth looking into (didn’t see any plain flat sheet on their site). May not be lighter.

How about wood?

1 Like

I was trying to avoid wood but it might be the answer.

You could ball and go with like grade C phenolic.

1 Like

Might be worth trying “foamed PVC”, you’d want the 1/2" thickness. Most plastics or sign shops will have it. It cuts super easy, easy to drill/file and round the corners, etc. It’s not the stiffest stuff, but might work perfect for what you want.

The other thing I’d consider is if you use something that’s too flexy, glue on some angle-aluminum ribs across the bottom.

3 Likes

I was thinking about doing four layers of chloroplast with the ribs alternating glued together with three aluminum ribs in the middle.

just steal a trench plate and weld it on at that point

Forgot about this stuff, polycarbonate twinwall / greenhouse material. Very light and stiff.

Edges can be sharp, but there are lots of glue-on plastic channel edge caps available.

2 Likes

All these plastic sheets are shockingly expensive!

1 Like

Honestly I think this idea is a winner for quick/cheap place to start experimenting.

I’d go for 3 layers, use a nice spray adhesive (3M Super 77, etc.). Leave off the ribs to start with, as you are already going to use another box on top of the platform.

The thing I really like about coroplast is that it’s so easy to cut with a box knife and to pierce a hole with an awl and then use zip ties to “sew” it together or onto whatever you are attaching.

1 Like