17 Tarck centuries a week can be better than minimum wage.

Would you be working some days here and there or just traveling through? I’m in the NC mountains and could give you some reccos if you come through.

DC would be good but you’ll have a hard time with the Van camping unless you park in the burbs. It’s nice and compact city for the most part, you could do well during lunch.

Yeah okay I’m looking at DC. From what I can tell in the direction I’m headed, it’s the next closest city with the population counts to support me.

I’m going to stack another week’s pay here in Nashville and then will boogie a straight shot via Knoxville and will camp a night or so in Washington national forest… prob skipping the rest of the south for this season? The mountains in Carolinas I would love to check out.

1 Like

no stint in Asheville?

Wonder if NYC would be great because everyone gets their food by bike anyway or terrible because everyone gets their food by bike anyway (also they’re all using ebikes). Definitely plenty of places to sleep without being bothered.

2 Likes

@featherduster I’m open to Asheville! Did I see it’s an arts town?

Almost certain NYC has a waitlist for Uber regardless of current enrollment. I do plan to find out.

Today was a wash. I made three deliveries before finding 2.5” inch screw dead center on the rear tire. In no time it completely reamed a hole in the casing. Sealant everywhere. Last patch failed. Sealant everywhere. Walked two miles back to the truck. Only shop open today was 6 miles out, drove out, new tube, new patch kit, booted the tire… booted all the other neglected cracks. New sealant and suddenly it was 4pm traffic and google says it’s 45 minutes back to downtown. So I got gas and Oreos. More than a day’s pay just like that.

2 Likes

NYC is a chaos world and if you wanted to make money riding your bike here I think you could go about it any number of ways. Weed delivery would probably be most profitable? lol

1 Like

lol I would for a season. When I get to the point maybe you can share a couple more ideas?

Just leaving this here.

1 Like

ain’t even to DC yet and Pentagon City is contending for highest single hour earner.

I have three of these waiting for the tips to come in: and that only took about 15 minutes round trip

7 Likes

Nice…

Hope you got to snag a sandwich before you left last week. If you swing back south let me know for sure. I’m sure I can free up a bike again.

1 Like

Thanks Braden, it was a great time for me!

Before I left, ended up walking over to the brewery across the street and had a pint and burrito… regrets all around!!

I have Garnett’s saved for my next pass through when I’m expecting to be in higher spirits and a little more motivated to explore

2 Likes

I hear that’s a damn fine burrito.

Spent the last almost two weeks working next to the pentagon. It’s very simply the easiest district I’ve found in the US. I was able to catch a break, recover from the last two months.

But here I’m in DC now, and it really is the most bustling that I’ve found. I’m passing up offers for $8/mile.

There’s about 14 messengers here beside me right now after lunch rush. and I love how maybe I just fit the bill now? but they welcomed me right in. Definitely planning on making this one of my hubs… with this money I could be making decisions pretty quick in the photography thread.

10 Likes

where are you parking?

I’m still parking in Arlington VA where there’s a known vanlife spot. It’s a five minute walk to the gym, but yeah I have to commute 5 miles over the river

1 Like

have you tried to get to the Kennedy Center yet?

1 Like

I rode past it twice today, what do you recommend?
I see they’re headlining Al Yankovich for October.

1 Like

oh more about the way you can see it from a distance but it’s really difficult to actually get there because of the way the roads work

I won’t be updating this thread for a bit until I recover from hernia surgery! boooo

idk exactly what happened, it had to have been last sunday afternoon and I was working. noticed it that night when I got the shower.

after video calls with doc, I know it’s non-critical, reducible and my healthcare has already sent me a general surgeon referral for Oregon.

Somehow Kaiser has locations here in DC so I’m going to try and have it done on the east coast to limit the mental sensation of “going home” way before I was ready to and to minimize logistics and extra travel cost.

The downside of sticking around DC is I am very isolated atm… but thankfully I hold up okay in times like this.

Final verdict on DC: best most consistent money yet. huge community of welcoming couriers. The type and intensity of traffic here combined with the urban layout spikes my nerves in a special way; drivers have seemed a little more aloof than other places I’ve been. and it’s a little bit like portland where I think the bike infrastructure is almost overbearing for some drivers and they are irritated about it so maybe they display a unique kind of impatience with cyclists. Nowhere more have I been aggressively passed by cars with half a block before a red light to only have me blow the light NOBR AKES with my ass out.

I am the problem, I know.

8 Likes