9 speed dead ender's thread

I’m running 8sp drivetrain on 10sp danglepushers using 6sp dt shifters. Gives me all of it (though I have to tighten the shifters every once in a while)

Last vestiges of Rivdork in my life, really.

edit: no 9sp in the 9sp thread

Everything BUT 9s in the 9s thread.

9s is the worst after all

but this thread is the best

'sup 9 speed bros.

Basically I’m a cheapskate, and I’m very reluctant to replace working 9 speed stuff with 10 speed. Even for something like a clutch dangler, I just can’t see getting rid of functional Shimano 9s MTB parts and having to buy not only the dangler but also the shifters.

Maybe this year there will be some good stuff at bike swap or whatever and I will finally upgrade.

I also think this would be a good place to mention that the SRAM 8 speed 11-32 cassette is genius and is pretty much like having 9 speed on the wide range cassette. Guarantees that my commuter will be 8 speed forever given they keep making cheapo shifters.

DA shakes
Ultegra pusher + 53:39 cranks
XT dangler + 11-34 cassette

#ALLOFIT #9SPEEDLYFE

Still running 9s Ultegra out of laziness/cheapness because I swapped most of the components over from old road bike. Endpoint will be 6800 though.

just installed 10s xt dynasys dangler being controlled by 9s srams on the mtb… did the stand off clamp trick and works great, seemed good with a straight connection too. so happy to have awesome 9s clutch dangler on mtb!

[quote=Bahamontes]DA shakes

#ALLOFIT #9SPEEDLYFE[/quote]
I am very into this. Med or long dangler?

XT 9sp shadow comes in med or long. I use a med with a 46/30 crankset.

Lower groups only come in long cage for 9sp shadow, but the alivio has a barrel adjuster built in, so that’s nice.

only really need a long cage if you’re running a triple though.

9sp DA on CX and CSK climbing bike. Ultegra on TAF roller/DGAF road bike.

I have installed the 9s SRAM/10s Shimano clicker/dangler combo on the P-29er (SLX clutch dangler with spacer on the clamp) and it shifted at least as well as 9sSRAM/9sSRAM on the shakedown ride. More info after this weekend’s race…

[quote=Gino][quote=Bahamontes]DA shakes

#ALLOFIT #9SPEEDLYFE[/quote]
I am very into this. Med or long dangler?[/quote]

Mediums

My hambeast is currently 9 speed. I think that my front shifting situation should still work for 10 speed, so I’d just need a chain, shifter, dangler, cassette,and maybe a new shift cable to upgrade. Doing SLX that would be about $100. Difference between the cassettes:

9 speed: 12 - 14 - 16 - 18 - 21 - 24 - 28 - 32 - 36

10 speed :11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36

Worth $100 to get clutch and another 2t jump? I can’t decide.

this isn’t the shartlife thread.

are you having problems with dropped chains? i’d consider it (but a narrow wide chainring was sufficient for chain drop for me)
if your shit is working, then it’s kind of why bother. I’d wait until i roached the dangler and/or cassette

[quote=oogenssssss]are you having problems with dropped chains? i’d consider it (but a narrow wide chainring was sufficient for chain drop for me)
if your shit is working, then it’s kind of why bother. I’d wait until i roached the dangler and/or cassette[/quote]

Not dropping the chain. Pretty much seems to be working. I think I’ll remain a 9 speed dead ender for a while longer.

I crashed at like a half a mile an hour in some loose sand on pavement and I think my right 7700 shifter is dunzo?! It seems to be working about every twelve times I try to shift.

I also need new chainrings. I am XT 9 speed rear.

Is this the time to go to something 10 spd, or do I just grab the sweet condition little 7700 mini group on ebay and keep on keeping on?

I just built a bike with new Alivio M4000 9s from ebay. It shifts. It clicks. It does what I need it to.

Couldn’t use the FD though, tube shape where the clamp mounts isn’t round.

[quote=GnarShred]
Couldn’t use the FD though, tube shape where the clamp mounts isn’t round.[/quote]

Shift with stick