9 speed dead ender's thread

I have a CAD drawing of a Shimano spline x 94 BCD adapter around here somewhere (spot the flaw with this plan)

tandumb has 3x7 set up half step plus granny. Broke up cassettes to assemble the optimally spaced 12-34

I ran half step on a 3x9 also

Does this belong here?

I ordered a 10s 11-42 Sunrace cassette.
I’m thinking about just cheaping out and not dropping the $100 on 10s shifter/dangler and just using alternate routing and keeping my 9s crap.
Fuck I even need a 11 for?

smaller jumps for people rocking wide cassettes

meant the 11t on the 11-42 10s cassette. (I don’t go fast)

ah, sorry, misunderstood you

Probably don’t.
I removed sup’s 11t on her 11s so we could rock the pretty i9 wheels. She finally is getting better at big ringing it on the road, so her hella cross chain days are pretty much over.

not remove it, just limit it out so I get 9 shifts (9s shifter and dangler), 13-42.

Right on, but for mtb, u right. No need for sprinting I’m sure. Just coast damnit.

Sounds like a 9s Masterstroke to me. Please let us know how awesome it shifts…I’ve been curious to try it.

Why not run a 12-36 9 speed and adjust your chainring accordingly (~5 teeth less). You lose a little top end, a 27-12 is about the same as a 32-14.

Why not run a 12-36 9 speed and adjust your chainring accordingly (~5 teeth less). You lose a little top end, a 27-12 is about the same as a 32-14.[/quote]
^^ this

cos running a 3" 27.5 tire on the back of a 29er with a 73 BB and 104/64 cranks where the 64 position is gonna run the chain into the tire.

[quote=Sneaky Viking]I ordered a 10s 11-42 Sunrace cassette.
I’m thinking about just cheaping out and not dropping the $100 on 10s shifter/dangler and just using alternate routing and keeping my 9s crap.
Fuck I even need a 11 for?

[/quote]
Got this to work! I had to grind some off the back side of the oldass XTR cage, cos kept hanging up on the 42 when I tried to shift down

An impressive committment to deadendery SV.

Sometimes you want a bike that is legitimately awesome, and sometimes you want a bike that is awesome in a shitass bikenerd way.

Pretty sure the rehabbed Shimano freehub is gonna blow up in the first 10 rides.

Does anyone know if a mid quality or better 12-32 9 speed cassette exists?

Also anyone have experience running 10s chains on 9s cassettes?

Thinking of running 1x9 via Wolf Tooth chainring and they recommend 10s chains for that.

Do you need that 12t? Because there are a number of high end 9-speed cassettes with 11t first cogs, from Shimano and SRAM.

But really, just buy a 10-speed setup for like ~$120 from Euroland and stop fucking with this 9-speed nonsense.

Yeah, I’m aware. Just wanted to see if there was something with a 12t instead. Doesn’t appear to be the case though.

Will probably do 38t x 11-32.

Get out, man. This is the dead ender’s thread for a reason. :colbert:

Get out, man. This is the dead ender’s thread for a reason. :colbert:[/quote]

Fair enough.