"A Brake on a f!xie!?... Dumbest thing I ever saw"

One time I rode up onto the sidewalk, jumped off my bike and walked past a dude and a chick.
Dude says to chick: “Look, it’s a fixed gear bike. He’s got no brakes.”
Despite the fact that there was clearly a brake on my bike.

i always feel awkward when people notice i’m riding a party foul. they aren’t common around here but every once in awhile some will say “Hey is that a fixie?” and i’m just like “yeahhh” as they look it over looking at my wheels and such. i never know what to say, but they always seemed so pumped about it.

I see dozens everyday so it’s not a big deal but every once in a while someone will yell something dumb like “DO A SKID!” or “FIXIE WOO!” and I just lower my head and pretend like i’m not there.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=489650

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]One time I rode up onto the sidewalk, jumped off my bike and walked past a dude and a chick.
Despite the fact that there was clearly a brake on my bike.[/quote]
dude… my gf thought my pista concept was brakless because the decal said so.
i laughed my ass off.

[quote=“artblur”][quote=“Rusty Piton”]One time I rode up onto the sidewalk, jumped off my bike and walked past a dude and a chick.
Despite the fact that there was clearly a brake on my bike.[/quote]
dude… my gf thought my pista concept was brakless because the decal said so.
i laughed my ass off.[/quote]

Pulling into Menards to get some stuff, a middle aged dude observed me slowing and stopping myself with pedal resistance, then comes up with a look of bewilderment, saying, “How can you ride a bike without brakes!?!” I turned my handlebars to show him my front brake as he was saying “What if someone cuts you-- ooohhh…” He seemed sorta disappointed that it wasn’t one of those crazy-ass brakeless bikes he’d read about.

I once had a dude in a big ass lifted Dodge truck honk his horn and yell “Pay some taxes douchebag!” I couldn’t quite work that one out.

“Get a car, hippie!” would probably have made more sense.

That’s really, really funny. Big Truck Logic is a fascinating thing.

This has happened to me as well. Always feels awkward. Now I just say “No it’s a single speed.” and keep going.

speaking of…
lol.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=474052

that thread is a gift that keeps on giving. every time i read it, i find something new to lol at. today it was this:

That sounds like some shit out of a Frank Capra movie, not NYC in the '90s.

[quote=“kowloon”]that thread is a gift that keeps on giving. every time i read it, i find something new to lol at. today it was this:

That sounds like some shit out of a Frank Capra movie, not NYC in the '90s.[/quote]

That’s how it was for a lot of cat’s though. Check out the doc. “Pedal”.

And while I respect Bigbris as being a former messenger, he still comes off as a total jackass.

[quote=“Tbirdbassist”][quote=“kowloon”]that thread is a gift that keeps on giving. every time i read it, i find something new to lol at. today it was this:

That sounds like some shit out of a Frank Capra movie, not NYC in the '90s.[/quote]

That’s how it was for a lot of cat’s though. Check out the doc. “Pedal”.

And while I respect Bigbris as being a former messenger, he still comes off as a total jackass.[/quote]
I don’t doubt that shit like that went down, I just can’t see any MTA employee saying “hey buddy, you gotta get off.” It sounds too cute.

If the dude really did mess, then I rescind my comment. But he seems pretty full of shit to me.

I wonder if pizza delivery guys respect former pizza delivery guys for being former pizza delivery guys.

[quote=“kowloon”]
I don’t doubt that shit like that went down, I just can’t see any MTA employee saying “hey buddy, you gotta get off.” It sounds too cute.

If the dude really did mess, then I rescind my comment. But he seems pretty full of shit to me.[/quote]

Oh LOL, MTA employees are funny like that. When the trains go to the yard/taken out of service for whatever reason, they even tell the jobless homeless people to get off.

I used to like yelling asshat comments to fellow bikers if they looked serious enough to post about it on a messageboard later. Like, asshat but also acknowledging you’re a nerd too. Like, “Nice foot retention. We could definitely kick it.”

Also, my old bosses partner was riding at night and some sorority girls were all, “Whooo, go Lance!” and he was all, " Shut up, Drunkgirl." real mean. And that was it; he destroyed her. :bear:

And my boss (stoner) would tell this story a million times, and always laugh at “Shut up, Drunkgirl.” I think it summed a lot of shit up for him.

^^^ hahahaha :bear:

Haha, people used to yell “Lance” way more in East Lansing, but they have since stopped. I don’t know about everybody else here, but I only really get yelled at by people in cars now, not really passers-by.