"A Brake on a f!xie!?... Dumbest thing I ever saw"

[quote=“yeaux”]Haha, people used to yell “Lance” way more in East Lansing, but they have since stopped. I don’t know about everybody else here, but I only really get yelled at by people in cars now, not really passers-by.[/quote]I don’t get LANCE as much anymore, but I definitely still get hollered at by peds just as much as cars. Maybe it has to do with the times I’m riding through. After I get out of work is usually the time when everyone’s out going to/leaving the bar.

Yeah, you have to ride around most of the time when there are a ton of drunk fucks out.

As a guy that owns and drives a big ass lifted Dodge truck, I have nothing to say. Guys that drive pickup trucks, particularly lifted ones, are almost universally assholes. Which makes driving around in it interesting as people seem to have something to prove, like they’re not going to take my aggressive pickup truck driving bullshit any more. I’ve been run off the road, squeezed out of lanes, and hit twice in the past year. Anyway, I suppose he thinks that if you’re not into excessive consumption, you’re not doing your job for society.

I was riding brakeless for a while. A couple of latino guys came up to me and sincerely wanted to know how I stopped. It wasn’t dumb so much, they were curious. My Spanish sucks, so I had a hard time explaining it to them.

I went on a growler run last night. I had a fireman roll up next to me at a stoplight on a 4-lane street.

“Thanks for keeping us in business. We almost ran you down. Thanks for keeping us in business.”

My favorite so far is “SAVE THE PLANET, MOTHERFUCKER”.

I get “GET OUT OF THE ROAD THERE SIDEWALKS FOR BICYCLES” and “GET A CAR HIPPIE” and honks most of the time.

i really don’t miss the “get off the fucking road, hippie” yells that i got in the states. people just don’t yell that shit here. people only seem to yell at you wen they think you’ve done something wrong, but usually ‘wrong’ means not keeping far enough to the left (right for most of you) or other ‘you’re fine as long as you stay the fuck out of my way’ shit.

dude cut me off the other day and squeezed me into the curb and while i was screaming at him to check his fucking mirrors he rolled his window down and sincerely apologized and asked if i was ok, i felt kinda bad…kinda

my friends who are also cyclists sit on their porch and yell “CLOSE THE GAP” at anyone that seems to be in a hurry

lol

One time I was in an elevator with these two old Hasidic Jews and one goes: “Ah, Mr. Armstrong!”. I wanted to reply “Yes Mr. Goldman?” but just ignored him while he repeated his joke a few more times.

People yell at me to get out of the road at least once a week. I’ve had a water bottle thrown at me, and one time I was paint balled drive by style.

I’m going to start using “close the gap”, whenever the stupid fixters / pistards in town use MASH as a term for riding a bike someplace. “Dude lets mash over to that party…”
I remember a few years ago back in Colorado, some red necks saw a woman riding on the side of a road out in the country. the guy in the passenger seat reached out and slapped her ass as they drove by at like 45mph. It caused her to crash and messed up her ass cheek pretty bad, but it broke the dudes arm. The cops found him in the hospital.

A few months ago here in Albuquerque someone in a car hit a cyclist in the head with a bat as they were driving by. The cyclist didn’t make it and last I heard the cops hadn’t made an arrest yet. =(

I will take this message with me to the people of Israel tomorrow. Also, lol.

last three that were yelled at me…

“one less fixed gear” when i rode past a party at 3am.
“tighten the peloton” when we were doing a group ride past some frat houses.
“get some real handlebars” when i was riding to the grocery store last year

I’ve been getting “fixed gear so last year” for a while. “If I were drunk you’d be dead” was a pretty good one too. To be honest, I give a lot of people the thumbs down.

Where exactly did this happen?

user

[quote=“Tbirdbassist”]^This.

Also, messengers don’t say “party foul: please edit”.[/quote]

that’s not entirely true.

lol

speaking of…
lol.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=474052[/quote]

ah i’ve been looking for this thread recently

Well I’ve never heard it said by a messenger. I’ve only ever heard “fix” and “track bike”. But then again I don’t know every messenger.

But I have the urge to PITD anyone who says fixay.

there’s a messenger in the mash movie who says it. and i’ve heard tone say it. whenever i hear messengers say it they’re usually talking about other peoples bikes though

It took me like 3 hours to get through Mash.

And I just assed myself because I realized I’ve referred to other peoples bikes as fixay’s in the condescending way. Mainly the people who try to race you and the office folk who book it up the Williamsburg Bridge only to lose all steam halfway up the ramp. Like, who is in that much of a rush to get home, I see so many almost accidents on that bridge because of impatient fucktards it’s ridiculous.

“OMG I HAVE TO SERIOUSLY GET INSIDE MY HOUSE LIKE NOW AFTER BEING INSIDE ALL DAY GTFO OF MY WAY!!!”.

Whenever I stop doing this and find myself inside most of the time I’m going to make the best of my commute and enjoy it.

"fixed gears! track bikes! fixed gears! track bikes! fixed gears! track bikes! "
“Shutup richie.”