A reasonably attractive SPD tennis shoe from a major manufacturer

It exists.

i guess reasonably attractive is in the eye of the beholder.

(not my style, but pretty cool atmo)

Yeah, it’s nothing I’d wear, but I think I’m the only person under 35 who doesn’t wear skate shoes, so I’m sure it’s going to appeal to some people here.

Sorta old news? I don’t see the fascination with making sneakers SPD. Never tried any but they seems flimsy.

a comfy clipless shoe (that doesn’t look like a clipless shoe) is an awesome thing

i assume there’s a pretty stiff sole in there to make it work. i could be wrong tho.

my assumption is that it’s for bmx. i bet the sole’s pretty stiff.

yeah this is a BMX shoe. I believe Adidas makes one too that isn’t made if you’re into that

I don’t think that this is old news at all. There are BMX SPD shoes, but they’re all ugly things with two velcro straps made by some company who cannot or will not design an attractive shoe, or else they’re limited edition Nike Dunks that cost $400.

I guess it might be old news if these have been around for a while. I have no idea though, I was just sharing.

bc, I am not trying to be a dick. I honestly thought these Vans came out a few months ago since samples have been floating around.

See here is what I don’t get about people wanting “regular” looking SPD shoes.
Let’s say it is “stiff” like you guys say…then I would imagine walking in them would suck.
Kinda defeats the whole “sneaker” thing to me.
I think SPD shoes evolved into what they look like now because of function. If it is possible to make something fashionable with the same function, then props to whoever makes it. But if you have to sacrifice the function to make it fashionable, then why even bother with clipless to begin with?

[quote=kaido_k]bc, I am not trying to be a dick. I honestly thought these Vans came out a few months ago since samples have been floating around.

See here is what I don’t get about people wanting “regular” looking SPD shoes.
Let’s say it is “stiff” like you guys say…then I would imagine walking in them would suck.
Kinda defeats the whole “sneaker” thing to me.
I think SPD shoes evolved into what they look like now because of function. If it is possible to make something fashionable with the same function, then props to whoever makes it. But if you have to sacrifice the function to make it fashionable, then why even bother with clipless to begin with?[/quote]

they can be stiff and still be fine for walking. have you seen what the bottom of road/mtb shoes look like? the former aren’t made for walking period, and the latter are made for walking in mud (ie spikes/cleats).

also - backpacking boots are made to be stiff/made for walking.

I guess if people can’t wear anything bicycle related but still need to ride their bike with clipless pedals then this is a good solution, but I can’t see anyone replacing clipless shoes with these, or any other like these.

[quote=tjayk]have you seen what the bottom of road/mtb shoes look like?
also - backpacking boots are made to be stiff/made for walking.[/quote]

I use Sidi mtb shoes so I know what their soles look like and how they feel walking in them.
Didn’t know about backpacking boots made stiff.
I guess I need to change my perception of walking shoes = sneakers = soft(er) soles.

SPD vans have been around for ages, but not really as available as they should have been. I see stuff when googling that dates as far back as 2003. It’s nice that they’re coming out again.

but here’s their press release. the soles aren’t super stiff but have an insert apparently.

Vans and BMX racing were synonymous in the late ’70s and throughout the ’80s. With the natural progression of BMX racing and downhill mountain bike racing now demanding specific footwear, the designers at Vans created a shoe that meets the technical needs for both disciplines. Rounding up the best riders in BMX racing and mountain biking to help us develop and test our product, we created a shoe loaded with function and style.

Vans’ Warner is the first choice in style, comfort, and performance for SPD compatible shoes for today’s BMX racers and mountain bikers alike. The Warner utilizes our lightweight gum rubber “Off the Wall” tread pattern molded to our performance driven SPD compatible outsole. We’ve internally relieved material from key points on the SPD compatible plate to keep it light yet stiff over the mid foot area while providing flex in other key areas. The upper infuses a blend of weather resistant synthetic leathers and vented ballistic nylon mesh with a removable hook and loop adjustable tension strap. Our self centering gored tongue keeps debris out of the shoe while the molded EVA foam sock liner ensures that your feet stay comfortable and supported all day.

· Limited availability starts April 2nd 2009
· MSRP - $90.00 US
· Available in sizes 6-13 (half sizes as well!)
· Available in 1 colorway – Black/Black
· Available for purchase only through Vans online – links can be found on the below 3 sites:

[quote=spacetime]I guess if people can’t wear anything bicycle related but still need to ride their bike with clipless pedals then this is a good solution, but I can’t see anyone replacing clipless shoes with these, or any other like these.[/quote]i can see a ton of people replacing their clipless shoes with these. you’ve obviously never worn clipless shoes.

i tried getting these in May to no avail. now that there is another run, i might cop a pair.

I’m 36, but I mainly find them unappealing coz ugly.

gimme some spd era’s/authentics plz.

vittoria 1976 = <3.

it might be time i pick myself up a pair.

i think these would make pretty swell winter shoes.

these have been around for over ten years. i remember 'em from my mountain bike days.