AB's "Not Sure" & "Average" & "huh?" thread

I love those rooms; Mass Moca is incredible.
And after in that bike Flickr set, this:
Deschutes Tier Stewardship Campout 2018

gabe is really cool

[quote=Lowrey’sOrgan]inspiration
https://massmoca.org/event/walldrawing51/[/quote]
I love LeWitt’s stuff. SFMOMA has his stuff displayed next to Ellsworth Kelly and it’s such a good match.

Working on getting my landlord to let me paint a LeWitt on my bedroom wall
fingers crossed
this is basically the only reason I want my own house

I think they screwed this one up tbh. I don’t like the way the top tubes intersect with the dropouts, and I also don’t like the way those dropouts look. OTOH, ladybiek absolutely loves her version 1 BV, it runs byways with room to spare, and seems to be pretty damn good on mixed surfaces.

She wants better brakes though (650b conversion, long-reach brakes suck), and I don’t think this disc frame is the way to go. We’re thinking one of two options:

get some v-brake mounts brazed on her current fork, or
get the soma low-trail disc fork, or
replace the BV with another, more-modern bike*

*probably not going to happen because she’s completely in love with the bike, the fit, the aesthetics, and the only thing lacking is the brakes.

WWTD? We discussed it earlier and she’s OK with having the paint on the fork ruined, but she’s also OK with running a mulletbike with disc front and rim rear.

White paint is super easy to touch up. V’s are also really great for mixte rears since the noodle can shoot the cable in almost any direction.

Does LB run fenders? That would be one concern.

Fenders, she had them on for about 2 years, but when we put the Byways on she took them off. I’m not certain if she’s planning on running them again at some point in the future.

I think that if we did V brakes, we’d probably just do the fork and leave the rear caliper. I’m thinking with a travel agent we’d be able to use the current levers and be done with it?

Who fucking idea was it to put those dropouts on that frame?

Goddamn Soma, can you not do anything right?

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener]Who fucking idea was it to put those dropouts on that frame?

Goddamn Soma, can you not do anything right?[/quote]

It’s like, they get most of their bikes about 90% right. I actually thought they did a great job with the original BV, my only real complaint about the GR is that it’s quill, and some of their other bikes are real close to being great.

But yeah, they keep screwing up these small, but important things.

I think we all know the answer to your second question.

Most of the time, I look at their (new) product announcements and say, “why though?”

They’re looking for space in the market not occupied by QBP or brands you would actually want to buy. Only weird shit.
The Wolverine is a fine bike, but the dropouts are dumb.
The BV is a fine bike, but what is going on with those derps.

I’m about to build a smoothie as a no-frills-but-perfectly-functional road bike. Go ahead, tarck, ruin it for me before it’s even built.

[quote=kmcdon]
I think that if we did V brakes, we’d probably just do the fork and leave the rear caliper. I’m thinking with a travel agent we’d be able to use the current levers and be done with it?[/quote]

If you want to keep those brake levers then yeah that’s the easiest solution. You could also put on 990 mounts which would let you keep the levers and skip the Travel Agent.

If you’re going to change the levers then adding a set of bosses to either the seatstays or the laterals is pretty painless. It might be possible to modify a 287V lever by drilling a hole lower on the lever for the cable stop, bumping the leverage back where you need it.

I almost put a disc mount on the rear of my mixte tandem and the angles were almost perfect to where the mount would have needed almost no modification to fit to the frame. Just before you consider it throw a disc wheel in there to make sure the disc won’t hit the frame.

She said that she’s gonna take it on a couple more dirt road pass bikepacking trips before she makes a decision.

And then we might be into a trip to Kelpie for some mounts.

What did you guys expect them to do for that bike? First off and possibly most important, they have a shit load of those dropouts they are no longer using on the wolverine. Secondly, this is in line with their design ethos, if you will, of marketing towards single speed and 650b do-it-all kinda shit. It’s basically the surly demographic plus 20 years of age.

honestly i don’t hate it.

It’s really the dropout intersection that kills it for me.

I feel like they could have disc’d it without using those abominations.

you won’t see those dropouts through the disc/cassette bullshit once it’s built.

Black dropouts on white bike don’t exactly help cause.

Posting in “not sure” because the builder says it’s too flexible so we don’t have to armchair engineer it.