All things MTB (old)

Thanks duders. Now you’re speaking my language.

Re: the Judy: they make an OEM TK which is bottomest of the barrel and comes on that Trek but they also make an RL version that is sold aftermarket. Bet I could swap the internals of those two. Probably will just end up not buying that Trek tho. Seems like the fork is way way heavier than many other options because of those cheapo steel stachions. Kind of disappointing that a pretty well-specced bike comes with an anchor like that!

A buddy said the SR Suntour stuff on Giant bikes is pretty good and only needs maintenance every 200 hours or something vs 50 on Fox. They also seem super light. Unfortunately Giant hasn’t gotten with the 27.5+ thing in their cheapo hardtails. Recent Orbea chatter has me looking at the Laufey 27.5+ if I can find a deal. Slackest HT I’ve found yet for this kind of bike.

The 50 hr service is just changing the bath oil. A full service is 200 hr. Any non-air spring is not going to need the bath oil change.

Talking air. Like check this thing out:

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/outlet/laufey-h30-27-2016

[quote=lukasz]Ok, find me a better deal than the Trek Roscoe 8 I can get new for $900. Add that $100 damper upgrade to make the budget an even bong: Dropper, 27.5+ tires, name-brand brakes and shifting.

So far our I suppose our tarck-bro Mattie has probably the sweetest bike on offer at his shop. Better fork but just missing a dropper.[/quote]

Alrighty, I’ll have a look around and see what 27+ stuff is out there.

[quote=lukasz]Thanks duders. Now you’re speaking my language.

Re: the Judy: they make an OEM TK which is bottomest of the barrel and comes on that Trek but they also make an RL version that is sold aftermarket. Bet I could swap the internals of those two. Probably will just end up not buying that Trek tho. Seems like the fork is way way heavier than many other options because of those cheapo steel stachions. Kind of disappointing that a pretty well-specced bike comes with an anchor like that!

…SR Suntour…[/quote]

Re: the Judy:
Like oogens says, the OEM fork has steel upper tubers which probably have another inner dimension/measurements from the RL-verision which has aluminium uppers (but the external dimensions are the same: 32mm stanchions). I’d not take a chance on trying to fit the internals from one to the other, they most probably won’t fit. But give RS a call/email and then you’ll know whats up!

SR Suntour is indeed decent stuff, sure not bling-worthy like The Big Two™ but functional and good.

Man I’m really hot on that Orbea.

Seems like that bong-mark is hard to get the whole spec together, maybe some of these models are on sale near you or you could strike a deal? I think the cheap skate fork (although it does it’s job) made Trek able to get to the 1250$ mark originally.

Alright I had the mission: dropper, 27,5+, brand shifty-bits/brakes.
You have the Norco Fluid 2 - 1349$: check, check, Sram NX 1x11 and then Tektro hydros. You also get the Rock Shox Recon RL 120mm fork.

Then you have the Giant Fathom 2 - 1175$: check, check, deore 2x10 and shimano M315 hydros. Fork is the SR Suntour Raidon XC LO-R DS 120mm.

If you could find a Big S Fuse Comp or Sport on sale somewhere that would fit the bill, Commencal Meta AM HT is a great specced bike as well ( no dropper though) and Rocky Mountains Growler-series (Growler 40 for 18-19 models and Growler 740 from 16-17) could also work.

Giant is a good one but no plus tire sizing.

You like the Manitou on the Spesh? That’s one boinger maker I haven’t read much about yet.

Ah, damn. Was mixing the XTC up with the Fathom…

I really like Manitou boingers, had a Mattoc on my Trance and I’m gonna put another one on my Custom Wonder Endurobro Bike™. The Mattoc Pro is regarded as pretty much the most affordable and best enduro/am fork with all the tinkering abilities out there. Still hundreds cheaper than RS Pike or Fox’s 34 if you want the same type of adjustability. They make a good product and are easily serviced by pretty much any one.

Ok, find me a better deal than the Trek Roscoe 8 I can get new for $900. Add that $100 damper upgrade to make the budget an even bong: Dropper, 27.5+ tires, name-brand brakes and shifting.

So far our I suppose our tarck-bro Mattie has probably the sweetest bike on offer at his shop. Better fork but just missing a dropper.[/quote]

No. Get that bike and find a fork for $150 on ebay.

Asking for a friend… What’s a good budget (<$2500) FS trail bike? I suggested the alloy Diamondback Release 2/3 and the alloy Canyon Spectral. Anything else?

Canyon > diamondback.

For that money, I’d be looking used though. There’s probably a mid range 2017 bike available in ok shape. I bet the stock price of stumpjumpers has plummeted in the last few days.

Anything new at that price is probably going to have shitty components or a shitty frame designed to trap nerds buying based on component spec.

I was looking for a Trek Fuel EX 8 with boost spacing (2016+ I think) when I was seeking a cheap full boinger. Seemed like $1800 or so could get you one.

Was hoping the new Stumpy would be a little more progressive in the geo dept, but it’d be hard to go with a more forward geo without stepping on the toes of the Enduro I guess. Would still consider selling my '16 Stumpy to fund a new one.

if I had $2500 to drop on a bike, I’d get this

http://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Process-111-Bike-2016

or a jeffsy 29 AL

If your friend rides a small, there’s a couple 2017 jeffsys on sale, save some coin to put towards stuff to tubeless and all the other accessories

Thinking about getting a bikepacking rig (and making my surly a dedicated commuter, which I should’ve done ages ago.) Test rode a Salsa Fargo and a Santa Cruz Chameleon. Both fit fine- I like the flat bars on the chameleon, but am not sure I need front suspension (could be fun?)

Get the squish!

both of those are waaaaaay taller than the tiny bikes you’ve been sticking to, big wheels make that unavoidable and even the rigid Fargo has an extra-long fork so you can swap it for suspension later

but the smallest Fargos have much shorter reach than almost any other drop-bar-themed bicycle so it’s got that going for it

Jamis has some really cool things going on, ask Monica if you can test ride hers? http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/edenexpert.html

Damn that Jamis is rad!

Get the chameleon and get rad.

Pretty cool: Trailforks Now Available on Garmin Edge Devices