All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

The big guys didn’t abandon the project for marketing reasons. Someone will drop the British builder I can’t think of in here. They are using the bb for a pivot so peddling doesn’t effect squish

1 Like

My suggestion would always be get a better hardtail and get good at riding it unless you want to go hang at the ski resort with your buddies in witch case this might be fine

I am highly interested in the details of this. You designed this and are having it custom built? Did you make a separate thread about this somewhere?

no way full squish fucking rules. i learned on a 95 rockhopper ultra and a bmx bike so i took my knocks but full squish is so great

4 Likes

No ski resorts here, just a lot of rocky, rooty, technical stuff. I have been using my fat bike and it’s fine, just feels like I’m riding a slow pogo-stick that fucks up my wrists.

Why hardtail? I’m intrinsically interested in hardtails, but everyone I’ve talked to says just get full-suspension because it’s more pleasant, more efficient, etc.

1 Like

Design is a loose way of describing it. I carbon-copied the Norco Sight geometry and made some tweaks to fit the shock I’m using. I think the reach is 10 mm shorter to reign in the wheelbase. I placed my order in early September. About all I know right now is that the front triangle is tacked.

@Unknown.Gnome chronicled the sw8 offroad fixed gear that Marino built in a thread: Ray Finkle and a clean pair of shorts. AKA the thread where Tarck helps me build a sw8 Marino

I don’t chose to ride mtn bikes because it’s pleasant

You need to figure out what you want out of it and find some demo days or some buddys you can swap with and try things out atmo

And for the record I fully support anything anyone does with Marino

I think that rear shocks have gotten a lot better and have begun to offset some of the less favorable characteristics of single-pivot bikes also. I still don’t really see the return for going with a custom frame builder for a full squish though. The Marin FS framesets are around that same price and you’ve got a carbon triangle and a more modern suspension design. Banshee also is a similar price, with interesting forging and hydroforming if you still want something cool in metal.

As for a hardtail, they’re rad, but unless there’s something special that compels you to ride a hardtail other than price or trepidation about the sport, I would go full squish. Hardtails have the quality of making you very aware of your mistakes and encouraging some fundamentals in a way a FS might not, but I don’t think it makes you a “better” rider. You will feel everything on the trail more, take lumps and bumps harder than all your buddies on their full sus bikes, and probably find yourself wondering if you made the right call.

Where do you ride and whats the terrain like? That’s an important part of this equation too. A couple of demos like @jame5on mentioned is a good idea too.

1 Like

That makes sense. Our terrain is technical rock garden tight turns midwest stuff. No crazy elevation. I’m not trying to be a hero and ride a hard tail—I like them, but all the locals who are 1000x better than me seem to gravitate towards short-travel FS bikes. This conversation has made me think I’ll just get a Marin/Kona from the shop in town.

marin seems to be very good value. @Jacobell or @EndpointBraden can probably comment in more detail but it seems like they make very very smart choices with what components they skimp on to hit a really solid pricepoint without sacrificing too much functionality

edit: the thing that pushed me over from a hardtail to a squishyboi was realizing that hardtail was still fucking up my wrists (er, re-fucking up) because the rear axle is still connected right to your hands

1 Like

Sweet. The Marin Rift Zone might be up your alley. As @karl_dandleton mentioned they have pretty good spec, and the geo is pretty contemporary. I’ve been eyeballing the XR Spec frameset myself.

Kona is rad, but the builds are a pretty penny shopping to other brands. I built a Honzo ST a couple of months ago and I’m liking it, its a cool bike, but the fit and finish would be borderline had I paid full retail. That said, talking to the folks at the brand at trade events and that they offered me a pro-deal even though the supply chain was totally fucked was huge huge good vibes/good faith things.

So here I am, I made the choice you’re pondering. Go full squish. Hardtail is ideally a second bike these days atmo. I love my hardtail and I’m not upset its my only bike, but it’s what I wanted. I could see it being frustrating and possibly a barrier to my enjoyment had I not specifically wanted this “experience.”

Marin definitely kills it when it comes to value. They skimp hardest in the areas everyone skimps so when you upgrade something like wheels or a crank it’s going to be a pretty major improvement.

Service parts for their linkages are cheap and easy to deal with.

Like all single pivot bikes a percentage will crack at the driveside chainstay, but other than that they are hard to beat.

2 Likes

nope, just ends up being really squatty

I’ve posted my favorite mtn bike before so maybe don’t listen to my thoughts on full suspension

1 Like

True, ignore their thoughts on full squish.

3 Likes

So… Im gonna get this for kiddo:

It fits a rear brake (140mm).

Commencal reccomends and sells this:

which is not in any way little hand specific and only had reach adjust.

Buddy has some 4 pot guide RSC that has reach and contact adjust… and maybe more power = better for small fingers + more skids = SIIIICK right?

Is there any reason that I couldnt or shouldnt run the 4 pot brakes on there?

Also the 4 pot will likley be cheaper from bro’s parts bin.

I guess see if the 4 pot works when you get it.
I think contact adjust is overblown. Who actually makes it have more throw? That happens on its own after use.

actually, kid + bike will be like 40lbs… + he goes fast for a kiddo but that is not fast. Im thinking with too strong of a brake he might just up skidding all the time instead of being able to actually modulate speed.