All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

did some more digging on the status. was really confused as to how pinkbike commenters were talking about having the bike. then some person voiced my fears

According to my sources, Specialized only offers the Status to certain shops that have the kind of demographic at which it is aimed. Kind of like their limited time early release of the Levo SL to shops that were willing to get rid of all other brands’ eMTBs to stock only Specialized.

brutal. they go and make a cool thing for a great price but can’t quit their bullshit. it’d be one thing to have it spelled out to dealers but this kinda garbage gets me angry. not in a bruised ego clearly we got left off the list kinda way, but that i know all it takes is being a slick shit with your rep and i find that whole song and dance to be viscerally repulsive for so many reasons

7 Likes

Yup. I slept on ordering M5100 stuff when it was briefly available, so I went with this instead:

2 Likes

you ridden it yet? what’s your impressions?

Haven’t installed it yet (it’s on my to-do list for this weekend).

1 Like

I’ve built up a variants of the whole Box/Microshift parts now. Honestly, it’s NX level performance at best. If you can find it for cheap or it’s for a hybrid/beater, go for it.

But it’s no substitute for a 1x11 or 1x12 kit from Shimano or Sram.

Deore is every bit as good as the claims. Cassette is heavy, but the rest of the group punches above its weight.

I’ll still take GX over it though.

2 Likes

I could not get Box 9 to work on my old Jones. When the chain was on the large cog, it would drop down to the next-smallest cog when pedaling under any load. Tried everything that Box suggested but could never get it to work properly.

Sounds like some weird chainline shenanigans. What is the rear hub spacing and crank on that thing?

I’ve seen some issues like this with early Salsa Timberjacks. Between chainstay length and chainline there were all kinds of problems in the lowest gear.

We installed a bunch of those groups on some 135/73 shell Bridge Club bikes set up with correct offset chainrings.

With the proliferation of boost and non-boost optimized stuff there’s definitely lots of ways to fuck up.

I’ve seen some companies like Praxis just go completely off script and use rings with even less offset.

This if it’s available. But I also have aspirations to build a super progressive hardtail with a top end fork and advent x.

Prepared to be let down.

2 Likes

This was the drivetrain from hell; Boost chainring, 135mm spacing, longish chainstays. The Shimano/SunRace/SRAM setup worked perfectly, so that was probably dumb luck. I even tried four different chainring combos (boost/round, boost/oval, regular/round, regular/oval) and that had no effect.

Weird. Life is a mystery.

While pricepoint isn’t as good, this was still frustrating to see released in a mysterious way. We still primarily big S with a little cdale and giant mixed in, but S is what we get in constantly. Manager didn’t even have any idea about it after rep came in a few weeks ago, and recently ordering 150k of low end bikes to hopefully get over the next year. We sell enough s-works for being a small town, too. and all the e-bikes. Just would have been nice to have access to it.

these limited colorway/collabo bikes must be a pretty big bang for the marketing buck: they get their frame splashed on new sites & forums, everyone oohs and aahs, they get to sell most of those frames at a premium, and they end up selling a few more of the non-limited version of each as a result. It only costs them a bunch of pissed off people in the bike mines that are already used to being abused by the manufacturer.

All of the regular ones have been sold out for a while now. They are pretty nice Alu frames if you are into the xc bit.

ah thanks for the context, didn’t realize regular ones were already sold-out :confused:

I think the only bikes you can currently order from Specialized or Transition that will arrive in short order are DH bikes. The rest are sold out, so hopefully your shop pre-ordered some and they will eventually trickle in.

I really think they botched the Status stuff big time. Last year they got released a bit in euroland, and the allure of a cheap alu full squish machine was great. Not too much new design since they were basically the backhalfs of the old enduros. Even if they are keeping it low key, online only, or trying to get it in the hands of influencers, the lack of communication about it is not great.
Could be that lower end parts were still too hard for them to get, which is why the one Pinkbike got was all top-end, including their carbon wheels.

which if you are a PB reader, the demo just got smashed for bang/buck ratio in the test lineup this week. i LOL’d cause it’s literally the only bike they have left in stock. the bummer part is they’ll probably sell in a few months when parks open since nobody else has bikes

your speculations about the status seem to ring true. i’m sure that’s just as much a factor as corporate spec’s dickheadedness

I may have stopped reading the Demo review when I remembered they were such short reach bikes. At least give me 480 for the biggest size, you weirdos.

Alas, I’m throwing a 180 air spring on the enduro next week, in part because I wanted to swap for the new debonair upgrade since my lyrik was one of those that liked to pre sag just coz. Plus it will help shorten the reach on the s5.

look forward to that paying dividends. my 140 pike was sucking itself down a solid 7mm before the C1 airspring ‘upgrade’ or as i like to call it ‘customer subsidized warranty’

lengthening the fork at the same time should make a real notable difference

1 Like

Speaking of Pikes…

Im going to buy one for my Scout this year when my current fork is due for its next service. Do I want to get the RCT3?

Also, bike is currently at 150 and frame is designed for 37mm offset. I like how it corners and how playful it is, but can see how more offset and more travel could be real useful on the steep ass technical shit I’m trying to ride most of the time. Any opinions on that?