All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

Never thought I’d see the day

We’re looking for a L/XL Honzo? How about a M?

1 Like

New bike day! Just unpacked the Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp. Wiggle said some component substitutions may be expected, and sure enough SRAM Level T brakes. Are those junk? I’m not thrilled about DOT fluid. Everything else is spot on. Full Deore 12spd drivetrain, good fork, great tires. Stoked!

11 Likes

I mean, they aren’t great great (real XC light duty), but you’ll be the judge of how they work soon enough. Dot and bleeds aren’t a big deal. Probably put them at non series shimano 2 pots, maybe even the trekking levers.

What was supposed to come on it, guides?

Was supposed to have Shimano BR-whatever non series two pots, which I find to be totally cromulent.

2 Likes

Bike built up pretty easily so far.
Ran into an interesting issue. The brake adapters I had for 180 -->200 were not deep enough to clear the caliper on the Hayes things Im putting on. So I have to wait another week till I have time + the parts to finish it… Need the square shaped adapters…

ALSO I almost got fucked b/c the head tube of the new frame is like 1cm longer than the old frame and I had 1.25 cm of spacers on my steer tube on the old bike… Lucked out.

Yeah, you should be fine. Plus, new tools to do the bleeds.

WTH it’s the time of the year when I start going crazy and thinking I need a fatbike

3 Likes

Be strong.

watch videos of people fat biking. it looks so slow and boring. i think i’d honestly rather zwift.

that said, I’ve never fat biked… it just doesn’t look fun to me. maybe id have a different experience if i actually went, but i feel like id find the bike so heavy and cumbersome.

5 Likes

Old frame is based on 180 and new frame is 160?

1 Like

i also think fatbiking is impossibly lame and have never fat biked.
fat biking seems like a way to ski except for spend more money, have a thing that takes more space to store, makes you cold, requires a lot of maintenance, and is only fun like 5 days a year

5 Likes

So like skis?

3 Likes

I knew if I raised my hand and shared, y’all would talk some sense into me. Thank you for making me step back from that ledge, my friends. Time to hit the trainer and think about another way to waste my money.

1 Like

I do agree that they aren’t the end all be all of winter riding. Kinda why I stopped riding and sold mine last winter for monies.
But the fat caad also could be used for trail riding and was pretty fun.

1 Like

Old frame is 160 new is 180. I had one shaped like this:

I needed one shaped like this

B/C going from a 2 piston to 4 piston and the caliper is taller… Honestly would never have thought of this one being a thing at all.

1 Like

I think fat bikes are hilarious and fun. I’ve only ridden them on the beach and regular trails though, not their actual snow based use case. Picking a line mentally is like going from a pen to a wide tip marker.

I also think plus tires are the best, and klunking is fun, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

1 Like

skiing downhill is like… significantly different than fatbiking IMO. like, i can hit 40 mph on skis and not die. my skis also cost $250 and barely take up any space. i got them waxed one time.
although, you gotta buy a ski pass so i guess cost wise there isn’t much of a savings there.

yeah, i am in the opposite camp. demo bikes with plus tires = hated it. just the extra wheel weight felt klunky. but i also think air time is the best time and tend to go for speed in all cases, so its not surprising that i did not like this.

1 Like