All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

Interesting, I avoid all jumps. Weird correlation! Always feel like it represents the highest chance of me crashing, and I’m over having recovery time.

I like the grip and extra body motion needed to push through corners with plus.

I was thinking XC skiing, since that’s what Flanders up there does. We get as much snow to make each of the purchases useless. Though studded fatbike tires could be more useful for our forest roads that won’t be clear until mid March, even without snow elsewhere.

2 Likes

things have to be pretty much perfect for a fatbike to be fun. not stupid cold, just enough snow on the trail where no one else can ride it but folks with 4"+ tires, maybe some snow falling as you ride all romantic as fuck, a snowflake lands gently on your cheek, the air smells of candy canes and hot chocolate. everything is silent except the snow crunching beneath your super expensive flimsy-ass tires.

then, and only then, are fatbikes sort of ok.

6 Likes

It me. I think I’m in a good situation where one actually makes some sense. Groomed hambike trails are ~20min drive away. Much, much closer are ungroomed trails that get packed down and are totally ham-able. And that’s not even including general around-town and gravel (well, packed snow) path riding.

I’ve tried and tried to get into XC skiing and I’m just not that into it. I go with 'sup because she loves it, but otherwise I’d rather be snowshoeing. Or maybe I need to get into backcountry skiing, if I’m going to do so much work getting up hills I’d at least like to have fun coming back down them.

And a hambike can be used/loaned to visitors year-round.

Edit: Would also be great for two particular dog off-leash areas where ham speed would be perfect for my doggo, and where I don’t particularly feel like trying to trail run in the winter.

I’ve never donned snowshoes but snow seems to be a thing where i am now. what is the fun? just walking on snow without it being trudge-y or having to worry about skiing form/still trudging?

Did @Dickason_Daniel and the rest of y’all know I’m selling my fatbike? Because I’m selling my fatbike.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s basically just walking around in the snow. On really deep snow you can actually go somewhere instead of sink past your knees. It’s wonderful to just wander wherever you want to go without worrying about staying on a trail, you can really get away from other folks and have a peaceful walk or picnic or whatever. And bashing down jumping sliding a steep deep snow forested hillside is super fun (mind the hidden downfall tho).

2 Likes

If you find hiking fun, then snowshoes make your hiking season longer/infinite.

If you find hiking to just be walking around and not fun, then it might not be for you.

1 Like

I rented some last year, and it was mindblowing how normal it felt to walk around (admittedly flatter terrain). But good shit.

Yeah, snowshoeing is def just hiking, but def preferable to postholing in deep snow. Breaking trail on snow shoes still sucks though as they’ll still sink in quite a bit on powder.
A good set is like $100 or less used so la is a mistake than a fat bike if you turn out to hate it.

XL? Talk to me

It’s marked 19"/M. But the difference between S and XL was less than 2" of top tube.

2 Likes

All I got to say right now is that hambike is one of the best tarckisms ever.

2 Likes

yo fatbiking rules here in vt. local shop rents out Surly Moonlanders $30 for 4 hours, 5 minute ride to the trails. When trails are nice and compact it’s really fun. Tires stick like velcro and there’s nothing to dodge. It would suck if it were the only mtbing you could do but it’s fun when you can’t mtb

3 Likes

I have two sets of snow shoes if anyone wants to buy them

tell me more

Also maybe interested in snow shoes.

Hey are we still talking about @BEEutiful_Wednesday_DDS s snowshoes?

Yeah, if they could fit/support 170lb dude, I could be interested, too. Would help with Gunnar, that way he gets more tired than I do trudging through the snow.

here i make a thread. would definitely hold a 170 pound dude