All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

Aw yeah!

@frank_doktor: Now you need to go full flat brim cap and Monster tank tops :bear:

We’re collecting a slew of flat brims from all our enduros, so I should have some spares!

1 Like

Is that a thing?

I think you can buy a DT 148 hub and put QR endcaps on it, but… yeah- total deal breaker. Would not buy.

1 Like

Well, enough races have them as part of your registration. I really wish most had printed socks like we have for our local endurance and now enduro race. You can wear socks all the time. Nobody wants these shitty hats.

Only reason would be because I was making it and I had washers to make the back wider but not little tubes to center the thru axel on the jig. So like. I might make 1 but then get the dummy axel turned.

so a production bike it’s real dumb.

I rented a sled at Whistler on Monday and Tuesday. Hit a bunch of blue jump runs and blue technical trails. Still not comfortable on the black technical trails there at all some of that is gnarly! Definitely need to ride my mtb more though. Didn’t get hurt minus my forearms and legs getting sore as fuck but that was from being fat and out of shape not crashing.

all this big bike chat has me itching to get back out.

had a badly separated a-c and two fractured wrists after a bad crash pre-riding for the blue mountain enduro a month and a half ago. came in hot on a sketchy, steep double and had last-minute braking send me into the air very nose heavy and slammed flat otb, which was not pretty.

just started PT and can ride the trainer - i’m sure dirt days are still a month+ away but at least it feels like progress. in the meanwhile, ya’ll keep it sendy for me.

Been doing weekly night-rides on a known route,last several weeks. Night rides are a lot of fun in a whole different way.

(If you’re in Seattle, Moira and I have been doing Grand Ridge out to Duthie and back every Wednesday night - we turn around at Duthie without going in).

Also 2 weeks ago on a group ride one of us broke his elbow so last weekend most of us picked up knee/elbow pads. Been thinking helmets - full face or no. Moira bought a Bell and the face mask detaches. I know it makes it convenient but I don’t know if protection/safety is meaningfully compromised with that design.

Y’all got any thoughts about FF helmets? I don’t get rad at all - on the other hand with better protection… Who’s to say? Maybe?

Pedaling with a full face fucking sucks. I only use mine for bmx track, downhill, or if I’m going to be hucking at duthie. I use g form knee pads for most dirt riding now though. Can’t stand elbow pads though.

Mostly ^. Sup has the Fox Proframe, and has been pedaling in it more. She doesn’t mind it as much, but we are doing easy up/gnarly down. Something like Bell 3r (I have this) or their super dh could be there if you want half shell for climbs and throwing on the chinbar for added peace of mind for they way down. At nationals recently, I wore chinbar on all the stages, and for the long transfers took it off and carried it via my hip bag.

That is precisely what I was hoping to hear. That’s what Moira has been doing and what I think I am going to do as well now. Thanks lads.

Yeah I really second the part with peddling in a FF sucks so much, it’s really fucking hot.

Also the Bell 3R is plenty safe, although if you want a detachable chin bar and DH proof CE cert you should look at the Giro Switchblade. I have on and use it both as a FF and sometimes as a sturdier trail hamlet. If I’m not doing rowdy stuff or if it’s hot AF out I’ll just take my regular trail helmet aka Scott Stego Mips. If I’m only doing park laps i have a POC Cortex I’ll throw on, MTBing is all about having three hamlets these days!

Pretty much always wear kneepads, IXS Flow, and have elbow pads but rarely use them cos it sucks riding with them. Wear a Leatt D3O vest when doing park/rowdy stuff, chest/rib protection and back plate in one:

Since we all out here talking about big bikes as well, this is a interesting read. I really like enduro mag for their test, through and much more in depth than say pink bike which rarely put a bunch of forks together head to head.

Not surprising RS Lyrik RC2 takes the overall win but nice to see Marzocchi getting back in the game with the new Bomber! Would love to try it, though I’m kind of a tinkerer…

1 Like

So stoked to see Marzocchi back as an option. Having used a Fox 34 with the GRIP damper for about a year, I’d say the Fox GRIP damper is pretty damn good. I haven’t used the newer FIT dampers extensively (just on demo bikes) or the GRIP2 damper at all, but I think the regular GRIP is better than the damper on the 2011 FIT forks.

Honestly, suspension is just ridiculous right now. So good all around, even compared to 5 or 6 years ago.

Yeah it’s fun that there are more affordable options coming up. Would also love to try out the Formula Selva, was kinda debating getting one for my Swoop but then I found a NIB Mattoc Pro with all the bells and whistles for under 50% of retail so it was a bit of a no-brainer.

Yeah, it’s so crazy. There really are no bad options out there any more just like they put it in the test, no matter what you pick if you have your setup dialed in properly it’s amazing.

This is seriously cool, more lady shredders please!

Also I really need to watch the full re-run of this, 240 kids from 24 different countries sending it H A R D! So cool to see something like the “unofficial world champs” for future tarck-stars!

1 Like

Vero Sandler has a really nice style. I’ve seen a few of her videos now and I definitely want to ride like her.

Mtb shartq:

Do I want the raptor 14 or a hip pack of some sort? I typically ride for about 2 hours and Ohio is hot af. What do tarck?