All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

I get hot AF riding with a backpack, so I’ve made it my quest to not carry anything on my body pretty much. Bottle on bike, one etc-tool, spare tube on bike etc etc etc.

I’m probably getting a evoc 3L hip-pack to complement my Stage 12L backpack.

Talk me out of replacing my 120mm fork with one of those 140mm jawns above, and throwing in a 2 degree angle headset. That would change my HTA from 69 to 66 and my STA from 73.5 to 74.5 (effective).

Maybe try just the headset first? Long forks can be fun on hardtails but will change the character of the bike a lot.

1 Like

It has just been brought to my attention that straight 1 1/8" sus forks are a thing that has existed even in the past few years. What’s the cream of the crop there? That is, what would still be worth paying money for? 120mm or bigger would be nice but so far I’ve only seen like 100mm.

No need to tell me it is a terrible idea. I already know.

1 Like

on the marin? your seat tube is going to go slacker, so 72.5 effective. still not a big worry.

while the headset is the most cost effective way (and won’t mess with any other geo numbers), the fork will probably improve the feel the most. I’ve never ridden the recon RL, and I remember the MoCo damper was pretty okay when I rode a fork with one, but that was also like 7 years ago and forks have gotten so much better in that time.

Maybe see if you can borrow a 140mm fork first. My curtlo was designed for a 120, but wasn’t much fun. I put on a 160 and it was too long and sucked on flats and uphill. It’s now set to 140 and it’s sooo right.

Hard to find off the peg, esp if you want through axle. I know fox will do a custom blend (it was about 4 years ago, but the shop I was at ordered an 80mm 32 factory with a 1" threadless steerer for some dude’s old fisher I think). Not cheap though, and with markdowns it’s probably cheaper to buy a frame with a tapered head tube depending on the bike.

Rockshox still makes sektor in straight steerer maybe. Idk where to find one. Used Reba? If you can get a Reba or sektor with air you’ll be fine. Those are fine.

Yeah, I mean you’re right. You’re all right. Reading those 140mm reviews got me all worked up is all. I prob won’t do much at all TBH. But my brain still does the math.

The angle headset alone brings me to HTA 67d and STA 75.5d. It’s the most cost effective option and if I do anything it’ll be that first. Borrowing a 140 is a kick ass idea.

Reviews a basically ads, it’s their job to get you jazzed haha

1 Like

Man, I just pulled the 2.8" Schwalbe Nobby Nics off my Ibis and put on some 2.5" WT Maxxis (Minion DHF/Aggressor F/R). Forgot how fucking weird Maxxis sizing is. The Minion 2.5 is probably the same as a Schwalbe 2.3 and the Aggressor is even smaller than the Minion.

All the same, though, they got seated hella easily, even with a low-volume floor pump in my apartment’s backyard. This is so much easier than I remember it being.

1 Like

This makes me so angry. “2.4"” Ardents are 57mm on 30 mm internal rims. 2.1" Burts on my rando bike are 54mm as God intended.

35%20AM

Manitou? I’d actually prefer QR probably since the rear is. Jeff Jones fork is 435 mm and this Machete is 530 so at 18% sag it would be dead on. I’m almost ready to make this terrible idea a reality.

don’t forget, you’re sagging 18% of 120, not 530. you’re sagged length will be about 508, so about 3.7 degrees slacker, and your reach and stack will be pretty heavily affected.

QR works if you’re stuck with it, but through axle is fully worth it on the fork (I feel like the thru system prevents binding the bushings and really helps with a very noodly system)

O damn important correction. I’m new to this! So I suppose I might want to go for a 27.5 fork if I were to do this. Could go Thru Axle since I’d need a new wheel anyway. But how are these Manitou forks anyway? I know @viggen is into his higher end one.

I can see Rockshox Reba RL A6 in stock. It’s 120mm and QR. Quantity is 5 right now.

What wheel size?

26" what are you looking for?

for 27.5 and 29 I only see 100mm or 200mm nothing in between

This. If t/a is possible, do that.

Night riding with Fred last night.

I really gotta put my blog back in working order. I’ve been doing night rides a couple times a week for the past few weeks. It’s been fun, and a good way to build my cardio up and work on smaller technical stuff.

1 Like

Installed 29 x 2.6 Teravails on my Jones, and they measured 2.65" wide straight out of the box (i35 rims). Nice to see that somebody at QBP/Teravail did the right thing.

1 Like

backpacks are so much sweatier.
i got the 5L dakine hip pack. it has a 70L bladder. i would not recommend riding with it full, as it’s heavy as fuck and you’ll feel like you have lead weights on your butt. but - if you do a bottle and add another 40oz in the hip pack, you’re solidly stocked on water and it’s way less sweaty than a backpack. i can also fit tools, phone, jacket, etc in the hip pack. it has exterior compression straps as well to cinch it down or strap on removed clothing in a pinch.

3 Likes