All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

I think it may have been rain and thus sketchier turns in the woods. Thought it was comforting to see pros moving that slow through shit in the woods. Then they just hucked.

yeah they all seemed like they could pull for that one so long as they had their feet on the pedals coming out of that sketch run in.

pretty wild how big a portion of riders contending for top 10 crashed out, but i guess that’s what happens when you have to race that hard in those conditions. i don’t love it - aside from the risk of injury, it seems like somewhat of a dice roll on who can pull a whole run together, i kinda prefer the tighter racing of more favorable conditions.

What’s the take on the new Fairlight Holt? The design notes and lookbook are awesome, but like how’s the frame itself?

https://fairlightcycles.com/product/holt-deposit/

12 Likes

I kind of feel like more and more of the top 20 in the men’s field are crashing in race runs on any given weekend in the last couple of years, even when the conditions are ideal. I think it’s as much to do with how high the level is now and how hard everyone has to push to win as conditions on a given day. Guys like Bruni, Pierron and Daprela seem to have an ability to hold it right at the edge for whole race runs in a way that it seems like the other guys have to push further out of their comfort zones to reach. Others seem to be able to hit that level as a one-off, but those three seem to be able to live there a lot more consistently.

It reminds me of what Gwin looked like when he first started winning in 2011. It was like he could just hold lines and carry speed that nobody else could for a couple of years there. Then the field caught up a bit.

1 Like

The only thing that seems a little out of the norm is the head tube is a bit steep for how long the reach is. For htas around 68 I’d think I’d want around a 70mm stem, but with that reach I’m looking at more the 40-50 range. Might be a bit twitchy

1 Like

Geometry is darn close to a Salsa Timberline, which means this is “regular XC” territory these days

73mm T47 is pointless weight.

And the rear swappable brake mount to flat is also kinda pointless

1 Like

Accidentally’d a cheap -ish frok off CL.
2021 Factory 36 Float. 29er 160mm Grip 2.

Priced cheap because of this scratch, visible above on the left leg about 1" up from the lowers.

DQ:

1. Anybody tried one of those scratch fix it kits? Or DIY’d a fix?

2. How difficult is it to change this to 150mm travel? Looks like I can get just a 150 air shaft assembly and that’s it?
    (150 better for me and also bonus then when sagged the seals would be above the scratch much of the time.)

3. How to decipher all the info Fox spits out when you enter the serial number?

1 Like

i don’t actually know the answer to any of these but sup fork bro. i have a lot of extra volume spacers if you so desire

1 Like

Hey if any of you are coming to Vermont this summer and want to hit a park I’ve got all of these passes that I’m not going to use (I might use one of the Bolton passes but probably not). Just hit me up

8 Likes

I was looking at this the other day. Here are Fox’s instructions: 2018-2020 36 FLOAT NA2 Internally Adjusting Fork Travel | Bike Help Center | FOX

I looked into buying a black CSU to replace a damaged stanchion, once. It was fairly costly, though. I’ve heard of people filling the dent with nail polish.

The fork might be susceptible to extra grime getting inside from the damaged dust wiper. Depending on how much you paid, it might be worth it to just run it.

2 Likes

Maybe wet sand the scratch, something north of 1000 grit?

https://www.sendhit.net/ ??

i will probably be coming to KT in the fall and might want to do a Killington day. i didn’t enjoy burke last year but if i can teach myself to jump i might do that again

Word, hit me up I might do some KT with ya if you’re into it. if you change your mind on burke lemme know.

2 Likes

Woot!
HY This thing is a blast.
WTH I think my kid will outgrow his single bike before he rides it again. But at that point he can prolly take mom’s old bike and she can have NBD.

18 Likes

this is how i grew up. the best. just ours was a fully rigid with cantilevers

3 Likes

LB is making new MTB rims combining some of the Zipp 3Zero Moto shallow single wall ideas with still having a rim cavity and molded shapes around the spokes

it does def seem like a lot of modern MTB rims got too deep in profile

7 Likes

Please excuse the unfinished everything I’m just getting stoked this thing is coming together

6 Likes

god dammit gary, you could have just bought my pipedream and kept me from keeping it and getting it painted in a piss/shit scheme and then buying a matching truss fork for it because i needed it.

this is all your fault.

1 Like