All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

Turns out that derper posts really are game changers (even on the Jones).

Imagine that.

6 Likes

Modern mountain bikes sure are neat.

4 Likes

Great last weekend of season at windham (friend in photo)

Great day to wear pants

8 Likes

really just perfect ride this morning. not too fast. not too slow. just enough leaves for big drifting. ideal temperature

4 Likes

Rode a Turbo Leavo SL on the lunch ride today, it didn’t suck.

4 Likes

This Dawley Activist is pretty wild. The high single pivot gives it 185 mm of travel. I’d think with that much travel in the rear, they’d want a Boxxer up front.

2 Likes

I mean, a bit bigger, why not. Free ride doesn’t need dual crown, even if it is pushing the limits of needing/wanting to pedal up.

I guess I didn’t realize the Zeb goes all the way to 190 mm, now. That’s basically a Boxxer with slightly smaller stanchions.

1 Like

Yup, and with with the 38s, the likes of semenuk and co felt there wasn’t as much need for the boxxer at Rampage. I do wonder when they will drop the 38 boxxer that their blackbox riders are on now.

1 Like

Lunch ride at Coler MTB Preserve on the Sworks Turbo Levo SL, takeaway is I think I want a bigger bike. Ripped around the berms way more confidently than I do on my Trail Pistol. P sure my employee ride is gonna be a Stumpy Evo.

4 Likes

HY- Rampage!! Need VPN to watch on redbull unless you have ESPN.
WTH- bummed for Strait. Just saw the crash, too. Too close to injuries sup sustained, too.

@turpentine what do you think of the Arktos so far? Picking up a new mtb is on my to do list in the coming months and the 120 version of the Alchemy is on the bikes of note list so far

Marino enduro sled update: itshappening.gif

13 Likes

Let’s have a contest for who gets their Marino frame first (43 weeks and counting for me).

I saw your comment on their Gram post last week. Did you get an email from him?

Sorta. The email was a barely legible response of “Hola frame ready only to do cable guides Tomorrow take picture”. No picture was received, nor mention of the replacement fork.

I’m kinda amazed that two-man shop cranks out so many frames. They’re all tigged, but they are lightyears faster than any of the builders around here.

I suppose the downside to that kind of pace is that you’re always looking forward and warranties fall off the back. I had a very similar experience with Rocky Mountain, which sent me to Marino.

wait. like, bikes.com rocky mountain? we’re gonna need more info

It’s not a very interesting story. tl;dr: I had some warranty issues, RM took care of them, but didn’t communicate very well and it took a long time.

The frame was originally recalled in mid '20 due to a bad headtube weld. The replacement took about 4 months to come back. Since it was lockdown, I didn’t really ride it all that much. After rode it for the '21 season, I didn’t really like how it rode. When I took the suspension in for service last February, I noticed the shock mounts were crooked. The shop took care of the warranty return, but it took 7 months to get it back. The last 3 months was crickets from RM about where the frame was. At the end of August, I started looking around and got the idea to just do a Marino using the existing shock and fork. I figured Marino would have the frame done before I got the replacement back from RM.

A week after I placed the deposit with Marino, I got a call from the shop that I could pick my bike up. At that point, I’d already consigned that I was going to flip the frame. I’ve ridden it a couple times since, and it’s way better than the old frame. I’m kinda already committed to the Marino, though. Plus, my wife would make me sleep with the dogs if I added a third MTB to the garage.

1 Like

Spent some quality time on a Stumpy Evo Expert today, it was cool and all but I think the regular SJ might suit me better. I can always snag a bigger bike from the demo fleet for our shop rides if we’re heading out to session gnarlier trails that I wouldn’t fuck with solo.