All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

Def think the regular stumpy is more than adequate for there. I get the evo are cool and all, but not a great fit for a lot of people who are grabbing them, imho, especially here in rocky central PA. bb hella low, and most of these people won’t ever be really sending it it or hitting up bike parks enough to warrant the travel and geo otherwise.
And, as you say, you have access to bigger bikes if one wants.

So far we have only gotten full size run of Levo and two Kenevo SLs, so interested to see what other demos we might get. Needless to say the stumpy demos we got in 2019 aren’t really cutting it these days.

1 Like

One of my coworkers took a Kenevo SL on today’s ride, they’re kind of bananas. I’ll take it out for shits and giggles.

They are pretty fun. Getting used to weight in air feels a bit weird, but sl motor is enough for fun and shenanigans like riding up a trail to hit some jumps you hadn’t seen before (very very low traffic- probably only us that day).
I want to try to the Evo to see if my enduro pedals better or at least as good for travel numbers. I wouldn’t doubt it, but a back to back would be nice.

Better than the live coverage <3
Just let Ben &Co keep doing this.

2 Likes

NGL this was pretty fun.

6 Likes

I have both the Kenevo SL comp (that but black) and Levo alloy Comp this week. They both are fun. Yesterday did 22 miles on the full powered levo. Def a bigger bike, you do feel that. Only used full turbo mode to get home before dark. Both are def fun bikes. But I do get the idea that the SL (or any light e-bike) still feels like a regular trail bike while the full powered bois feel different, heavier, still fun, but you gotta be there to push them.

1 Like

I installed a Works 2* slackerer headset on my Rip9 tonight. Head angle is now 67*ish, wheelbase grew a cm or so. Was kinda tough to install. It works by making the steerer tube non-concentric with the HT and my cheap press wasn’t thrilled about it. There may have been some mallet use.

Test ride tomorrow!

2 Likes

i am curious about this and whether i could do something similar on the steel hardtail frame i have

I have one (-1°) for my gravel bike but never ended up using it, curious to hear your thoughts after riding

It worked! 2* slacker, wheelbase a touch longer, ST a hair steeper, all good things. It doesn’t creak, at least not yet.

5 Likes

Is there something different about the 9/8" steerer on dual crown DH forks that would mean this won’t work on a “regular” 9/8" fork?

lol that should work on any headset that uses a 45° crown race

but it’s just a tall crown race to artificially lengthen your fork, not an angleset

2 Likes

Right on that’s all I’m looking for. Trying not to put too much money into my dead-ender MTB.

the other main way is to extend the headset cup itself

pretty sure I have one in a partsbin

are you just trying to make the seat angle more awful?

I want to experiment with higher trail. It’s a hardtail 73.5/71, I figure the small additional trail will outweigh sta change.

yeah can just slide the saddle forward for the STA, but the reach will also diminish

this ancient single-purpose tool is great for calculating that http://bikegeo.muha.cc/

what’s the fork on it though? can you modify it to increase the travel instead?

2 Likes

I’m not sure, I hadn’t considered that. It’s a 2013-era RockShox Recon Silver, which a quick google leads me to believe - maybe? I suspect the $24 spacer will be the cheapest/easiest route for a little more trail but I’ll look into the fork since more travel would be cool too.

1 Like

I found my headtube extender, you’re welcome to it for free.99

it’s for an 1-1/8 headtube and adds 20mm

IIRC all of those cheaper Solo Air forks were free to increase the travel on up to 120mm or 130mm, just by removing plastic spacers on the piston. Most newer and fancier RockShox forks would need the air shaft swapped out to do that, and most Fox forks need a bunch of major parts like the uppers

I’m going to see if I can extend the travel on my 34 SC for the same reason. One of the shop guys has a 130 on his Revolver for maximum downcountry.