asploded bike parts thread

The Berthoud on my Endpoint has well over 20,000 miles on it and is going strong. My b17 has probably twice that. There’s no reason an expensive saddle should break after 15k. Fuck that noise.
I’ve been over 200 for most of the lives of those saddles, though I’m down to 197 as of this morning woo!

aliante is the only saddle I don’t break because of the mesh weave on the bottom. Gives it a bit of flex.

I was in this camp when I actually rode bikes. Though most of mine were the cheap stock version that came on old TCR’s in the mid 2000s. The best days at the shop were ones where I could sell a TCR, convince them to upgrade the saddle, get 10% commission on the upgrade and use that commission to buy the take-off aliante before it even hit the cheap saddle basket.

These days I pay retail for the real version. Oh how far I’ve fallen…

I don’t think I’ve ever broken a saddle. The worst I’ve ever done is toss some away. As I did last week with this horrific Sam Marco Racing Team, almost as bad as the old Nitrox I tossed years ago.

I’m assuming the Cambium saddle failure is in the used-to-be-leather part? I gotta look for some pics.

I’m 200 plus and have broken an Aliante (stretchy part), a Specialized (rails unequal to my superman remounts), and some no-name thing that fell victim to turn 4 + heavy rider combo of death at Dick Lane Velodrome.

Turn 4 is the last place I like to be saying to myself–“what was that snapping sound?”

While riding to the bike co-op to replace my totally-seized front brakes, the spindle on these shitty pedals broke. Rode a few miles on it, kicking the pedal back onto the spindle every few rotations.

Found a slightly better version of this pedal used at the co-op, as well as a pretty nice set of XT parallelogram V-brakes to replace the tektro shitstoppers. AND some half-off salmon brake pads for them. AND i decided to splurge and spend five bucks to use their rental shop area. Pretty good day all around.

Wow. Score with the XTs. Good brakes

HY!

Also your Man of Substance membership is hereby revoked.

man I was about to tell y’all Aliante users about how Nashbar just sells them for $50 now with the cheapo rails (I don’t care) but it seems that it was temporary and now they’re out of stock :frowning:

HY!

Also your Man of Substance membership is hereby revoked.[/quote]
Back up to 200 after drinking a bunch of beer last night lol.

[quote=lukasz]man I was about to tell y’all Aliante users about how Nashbar just sells them for $50 now with the cheapo rails (I don’t care) but it seems that it was temporary and now they’re out of stock :frowning:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fizik-Aliante-VS-Manganese-Saddle/112628659859[/quote]

Haven’t paid attention to the VS. version but on the regular the cheap (gamma?) version has a complete different base and padding configuration.

This one looks the same. Believe me it was the first thing I checked.

I’ve only got a little over 2000 miles on my C17 but it has held up much better than the Selle Anatomica that I had to retire.

Also, I was warned off the old XT V-brakes as apparently the bushings in the parallelogram wear out and they get sloppy. I imagine they are pretty good until then though.

I still got mine from back in the day. They work very well.

that just causes noise if it gets bad

Yeah these fuckers get noisy

Probably why they were in the bins. Going to keep seeing if I can adjust the noise away — but there is definitely a small amount of play in the linkages so perhaps hopeless

Other than that, being able to stop the hell out of this bike feels great

Mine howled from new, even on a suspension fork. It was a pain when racing because people could always tell where you were.

I just got a pair of XT parallel-push brakes at the Bike Works sale the other weekend. Not sure what to do with them, yet, but they’re on eBay for $50 in the meantime.

I like my cambium now that I have had it for a year and half. Has some wear and dirt embedded in it and the left side has a small patch where the cloth is worn down from laying the bike on the ground. Definitely a little more give in it now and more comfortable than when I bought it, but overall its been fine. It’ll probably break now that I said it was fine and I was satisfied.

Immediately thought “Soma Wolverine?”