asploded bike parts thread

I guess one person’s crafty is another person’s stupid.

DIY or DIE

I mean, I use old inner tubes instead of bungee cords, so it’s not like I’m materially different than this dude.[/quote]

Old innertubes become bungees in about 30 seconds and also aren’t a critically important part of the safety features of you bike.

If I had a worn out car brake pad on hand and a few hours to kill, I might do that… except that if he goes down a major hill the glue is gonna fail due to the heat and then he is fucked.

So then … you wouldn’t do that?

I would if I had some glue on hand that I trusted to take the heat. It’s just super dumb to do it with superglue.

DIY or DIE

I mean, I use old inner tubes instead of bungee cords, so it’s not like I’m materially different than this dude.[/quote]

Old innertubes become bungees in about 30 seconds and also aren’t a critically important part of the safety features of you bike.[/quote]

Oh honey, you’re making some very charitable assumptions about the quality of my bikes

Starting from a stop in traffic, snapped clean off when I hit a bump softpedalling home. Fat Chance is out of commission for a bit, but maybe this is the chance to go 1x11 I’ve been meaning to.

Can’t really tell but dark spots on both sides of the crank, probably cracked in two spots, one definitely larger, both on the inside of the arm. NDS crank where I mount and dismount from.

Damn

I knew a kid who:
A) built his own bamboo bike and built a dyno light for it (pretty crafty)
And
B) made and installed his own dental implant to replace a tooth he lost. (Wtf-level stupid)

Did he lose the tooth because of the bamboo bike?

How the fuck do you install your own dental implant

I watched a pal pull his own dead toenail out with pliers once. Some people can do that kind of thing. I’d be curious to see this dental implant.

It looked mostly ok on the front. Not color matched because he got it online or something. He drilled a hole in the bone with a Dremel and then screwed in the implant.

i just had that done. describes the entire procedure. dentist had some sort of mold made as a guide to hit the sweet spot of the bone, but otherwise all totally possible in a home shop.
however, tightening in the tooth replacement was one of the most painful medical things i’ve ever had done.

Jesus.

[quote=bward1028]i just had that done. describes the entire procedure. dentist had some sort of mold made as a guide to hit the sweet spot of the bone, but otherwise all totally possible in a home shop.
however, tightening in the tooth replacement was one of the most painful medical things i’ve ever had done.[/quote]

Yeah, I had one last year. The tiny torque wrench for testing the implant bone integration cracked me up.

TAL’s boy is a wildman.

Dude was one of the nicest people ever and I loved hanging out with him, but definitely not ok in the brain. At least not when he was 20. He worked as a nude model at the big art school in Atlanta and made solid money. He eventually built a school bus into a camper and took off for Alaska at some point and I never heard from him again.

I’m going to need an implant at some point. I’ve got a front tooth that never had an adult tooth grow in. I had a bridge installed when I was 16 that was supposed to last only a few years.

Time to break out the Dremel.

Dear god i just nearly died reading that

Dear god i just nearly died reading that[/quote]

drilling into own jaw: no
screwing implant into own drilled hole: absolutely not.

The pain I had upon coming out of general anaesthetic after getting bone screws put in for my collarbone plate was the worst I’ve ever had. Worse than breaking the collarbone even. There is no way I could ever drill and screw into my own bone.