asploded bike parts thread

I’d be just a teeny bit worried about the sterility of the procedure. Any time the likely outcome of an action sounds like the name of a death metal band, I’d probably not do it: Bone infection, marrow rot, home surgery mishap

Ughhh, further adventures in asploded with the Fat Chance, broken crank had an auto extracting bolt on it, which extracted the crank threads but left the crank intact. All the threads are chundered to fuck. BB is some esoteric square taper that requires a nonexistant tool to remove, so no taking the whole thing apart. Hoping I can pb blaster the thing to hell and mallet it off.

If you can’t pry/hammer it off, you could saw two slots into the arm at opposite sides. It would just fall off. Probably enough to cut one side and pry it off. Kind of awkward to access but if you have a dremel it should be easy.

Yeah the arm is already boned.

1. Arrange the arm pointing forward.
  2. Dremel a slot in the arm just above the square taper.
  3. Slip a big ol pipe over the remaining arm and apply downward pressure. It should open up enough or crack to come loose.

Actually a big ol pipe and just working it in/out will probably loosen it up without even having to dremel.

[quote=jimmythefly]2) Dremel a slot in the arm just above the square taper.
3) Slip a big ol pipe over the remaining arm and apply downward pressure. It should open up enough or crack to come loose.

Actually a big ol pipe and just working it in/out will probably loosen it up without even having to dremel.[/quote]

Are we still talking about DIY tooth extraction?

Nah, you use an air chisel for that (or was that hip replacements)

Pubes post that special edition drawing here

Oh, for sure. The pros have you load up on antibiotics pre and post game. Minor surgery is surgery nonetheless. Dremel dude’s yolo is strong.

[quote=jimmythefly]Yeah the arm is already boned.

3. Slip a big ol pipe over the remaining arm and apply downward pressure. It should open up enough or crack to come loose.

Actually a big ol pipe and just working it in/out will probably loosen it up without even having to dremel.[/quote]

I don’t mean to try using your misery for my entertainment, but I really wanna see pictures of this process.
OK, I think I really am trying to get entertainment out of your misery…

[quote=jimmythefly]Yeah the arm is already boned.

Ooooh breaker bar wiggling is a really good idea, definitely gonna try that and dremel after. Thanks!

Or a hammer.

I’d saw into the arm over the spindle and give the sucker a good whack (or leverage it until it breaks - probably less chance of collateral damage that way). should break the arm around the spindle. I’ve done this twice.

My Otto lock has some manufacturing issues.
Their warranty replacement response was amazing though. They sent me an email within 20 minutes and a replacement is on its way right now. Free return shipping included in the delivery. Probably the best customer service I’ve ever received.

I talked to another lock owner and they apparently had to send theirs back too. Wondering if new one will be from the same lot or if they found a way to reinforce the sensitive area.

Overall I really love this lock for low risk areas, so lightweight, compact & easy to use. I’ve also paired it with my U lock to get an additional wheel secured.
I really hope they come out with an even more compact key version, spinning the code wheels is a bit cumbersome.

looks like the same problem slap bracelets had

Mikey (ashes dust/drift again) has an ottolock. It protected my CG and his Parlee while we grabbed beers on Easter. Worked well in Oakland.

Cool little lock.

Grabbed beers from a store or a bar? Because I would not trust that lock in oakland for more than 5 minutes.

We sat at the window, glancing at the bikes every now and then for almost 3 hours

You know, only like 16k in retail value of bikes on a tiny lock. No big.

#californiaproblems

I miss Mikey. I’m gonna shoot him a text. Also, he’s drinking again? He was on a sober grind when I was out there last.

Every now and then. Ride some. Have a beer or two. Eat food.

Got my shifter caught in the apartment door taking it up the stairs. I think I may have cracked it in an earlier crash.
Also got my on-bike bags russled for the first time in sf on the same ride. Took a beat up multitool I found years ago and an old pair of gloves I didn’t like much. Left my 650b tube and Pedro’s tire
Levers though.