asploded bike parts thread

Did he bomb a hill and ride straight into a curb as he was trying to get on the sidewalk?

That’s exactly what happened, sorta. I wouldn’t call it a sidewalk as it’s basically a designated bike route.

Finally isolated that feckin creak in my drivetrain to my 2004 Tune Bigfoot crank… the locator bolt had come lose.
If the spider is worn I will replace it with a larger BCD one I have spare. So far it feels solid. Will hammer it tonight .
https://instagram.fhlz2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/555835eed78926b6484c84e04822c8e1/5AEE16AD/t50.2886-16/31076082_356185434870419_3095014649575824776_n.mp4

Found this little guy trying to sneak out. Luckily it was only a mile from home and before it could snag my derailer or anything.

[quote=TimArchyLime]
Found this little guy trying to sneak out. Luckily it was only a mile from home and before it could snag my derailer or anything.[/quote]

I got quick links, if you need one.

Thanks. I’m going to stop by the shop near my school and get one on the way home. What quick links work with Shimano 10s?

[quote=cousinmosquito]Finally isolated that feckin creak in my drivetrain to my 2004 Tune Bigfoot crank… the locator bolt had come lose.
If the spider is worn I will replace it with a larger BCD one I have spare. So far it feels solid. Will hammer it tonight .
https://instagram.fhlz2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/555835eed78926b6484c84e04822c8e1/5AEE16AD/t50.2886-16/31076082_356185434870419_3095014649575824776_n.mp4[/quote]
This looks like a pretty flawed design if the whole damn spider/chainring is held on there by one measly chainring bolt!

Get a KMC. Better than SRAM.

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener]
I got quick links, if you need one.[/quote]

DQ: I just ordered some quick links and they came on the cardboard sheet with the top piece of packaging. I noticed that it was emblazoned with the term “REUSABLE” which I had never seen before.
Are quick links actually reusable as advertised? I usually throw them away with the stretched chain with the assumption that if all the links stretched so did the quick link as well.
Do they mean reusable over 2x chains or 5x chains or forever chains or is it bullcrap? I’d love to reuse them because they are always inexplicably expensive relative to the cost of 116 regular links.

Got it. They we’re keeping them in the secret drawer in the back. Glad I asked.

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel][quote=Tail Hook Lengthener]
I got quick links, if you need one.[/quote]

DQ: I just ordered some quick links and they came on the cardboard sheet with the top piece of packaging. I noticed that it was emblazoned with the term “REUSABLE” which I had never seen before.
Are quick links actually reusable as advertised? I usually throw them away with the stretched chain with the assumption that if all the links stretched so did the quick link as well.
Do they mean reusable over 2x chains or 5x chains or forever chains or is it bullcrap? I’d love to reuse them because they are always inexplicably expensive relative to the cost of 116 regular links.[/quote]

I think they mean reusable as in they aren’t one use only, also marketing they can put on the packaging. I don’t remember the last time I bought a chain that didn’t include a quick link, though. I usually just toss the whole thing and install a new quick link so it’s all nice and shiny. I do keep a new ql in my toolkit though for roadside repairs.

I’ve reused old quick links on Shimano chains that don’t include them. A shop I worked at made a practice of it, and I had neved heard of any problems

I think they mean the KMC type clips together and is possible to unclip and reuse, you still have to keep note if it looks worn

oh derp, that makes much more sense.
Reuse = detach / reattach for cleaning and repair purposes, not Reuse = use on new chain

[quote=Rusty Piton][quote=cousinmosquito]Finally isolated that feckin creak in my drivetrain to my 2004 Tune Bigfoot crank… the locator bolt had come lose.
https://instagram.fhlz2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/555835eed78926b6484c84e04822c8e1/5AEE16AD/t50.2886-16/31076082_356185434870419_3095014649575824776_n.mp4[/quote]
This looks like a pretty flawed design if the whole damn spider/chainring is held on there by one measly chainring bolt![/quote]
The crank arm threads on to the spider. The bolt is just an extra measure. 14 years serious use so far.

Goop a bunch of silver loctite (or even green), torque it down and wait a day to ride. It may fix it enough to get some more use out of it.

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]oh derp, that makes much more sense.
Reuse = detach / reattach for cleaning and repair purposes, not Reuse = use on new chain[/quote]

Exactly. In all reality, you’ll probably be fine. I save old ones to carry in my spares kit.

They are telling you because there are quick links like SRAM’s which are actually not reusable. You can get away with it, but it’s not advisable and I’ve seen used ones come apart of multiple occasions.

Thanks, yeah I got 1400 metres climbing out of it Friday night without a peep so I think it’s gonna be sweet. Loctite was the next thing to try. I know everyone says they will eventually explode.The Tune PR says that the CNC machining is done taking into account the grain of the material. I’m not a machinist so have no idea if thats bs.

Think I figured out why the front calipers won’t stay retracted

I chuckled at #kids